Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Hello all!

After my previous fast I was pondering the things I perhaps should have in the fasting period. I know one of such things is broth but I don’t readily have access to making my own bone broth. Is there any alternatives at all or should I stick to water/tea/coffee and keep up with salt intake with those?

Thanks!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its possible to make your own bone broth but time consuming. What is stopping you from making it yourself?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Its possible to make your own bone broth but time consuming. What is stopping you from making it yourself?

Just never really had the time but I feel like stopping by the butchers in my area and seeing if they have any bones so I can one night.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just get a chicken.. roast it then use the bones. Or even better cook the chicken in the broth .. eat the chicken pre fast.. then drink the broth on the fast. Maybe add some butter to the broth when drinking it for a bit of extra satiety. you could also buy some consomme type soups which are almost zero carb if you don't have time or facilities for making broth. Probably not quite so nutritious but not awful either.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just never really had the time but I feel like stopping by the butchers in my area and seeing if they have any bones so I can one night.
It does take a few hours. I have to put in an order at my butchers, but I was using an 11 ltd pan, I simmered it overnight.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It does take a few hours. I have to put in an order at my butchers, but I was using an 11 ltd pan, I simmered it overnight.

I may have to invest in that at some point so I can make my own.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends on your budget. I have ordered an instant pot, but pressure cookers are cheaper. I need speed at the moment :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Before I went the pressure cooker route (pressure cookers scared me!), I had a large stock pot for doing broth. It wasn't an expensive one, and was only used for broth and soups.

It's very easy to do, but in the meantime, you could try Bovril (a big yuck for me), or a chicken stock cube.

There's no real reason to make things laborious for yourself. (For the record, I'm not a big faster, so have no skin in the game)

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Before I went the pressure cooker route (pressure cookers scared me!), I had a large stock pot for doing broth. It wasn't an expensive one, and was only used for broth and soups.

It's very easy to do, but in the meantime, you could try Bovril (a big yuck for me), or a chicken stock cube.

There's no real reason to make things laborious for yourself. (For the record, I'm not a big faster, so have no skin in the game)

You know I hadn't thought of that? Might be an idea as we do have some beef stock cubes here. Mainly just for something to keep up the salt levels when I am around the office, thanks!

Reactions: DCUKMod

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know I hadn't thought of that? Might be an idea as we do have some beef stock cubes here. Mainly just for something to keep up the salt levels when I am around the office, thanks!

This is also quite nice (various flavours), but as usual, once open, it doesn't last forever. http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesc...y/Knorr_Chicken_Concentrated_Stock_150ml.html

I can no longer have that as it contaons barley, and I have to be gluten free these days. Of course all of these prepared things will have ingredients you wouldn't bother with if you were making your own stoick, but sometimes a quick fix trumps a 12 or 24 hour wait.

Reactions: Caeseji

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Usually cook bones I have over from chicken/pheasant in a slow cooker. Break up just cover with water switch on and leave 6 hours+. Can be left over night.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've noticed that Ocado is now selling bone broth, but it's blooming pricey, so if you're filthy rich it might be worth a look at them online or check in Waitrose.

I just save all my chicken (generally thigh) bones in the freezer and simmer them for several hours in an ordinary pan with lid on when I have enough. I end up with jelly rather than broth which I'll use in other cooking or soups, or sometimes make into a drink with a dollop of coconut oil and maybe a stock cube..... but I never fast long or regularly enough to warrant making it specially.

(I discovered recently that if I can leave it going overnight the bones end up all soft and crumbly, and I scrunch these up so the dogs get them with any meaty scraps remaining. They love it when I cook bones!:hungry:)

Robbity

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@DCUKMod @becca59 @Robbity

Those are some fantastic tips, may have to keep the chicken bones from the meal tonight and get it in a pot and make sure to stock up on stuff that I can use for some other time. Thanks for the tip on the stock pots too, I'll have to have a look for them in Tesco's when I am there.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Baxter's beef consomme, anyone?

1.2g per 100g.

http://www.baxters.com/product/beef-consomme-with-cask-aged-sherry

I'm not a low carber, but it's a darned tasty soup.

beef-consomme-400g-2_201_241.png

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod @becca59 @Robbity

Those are some fantastic tips, may have to keep the chicken bones from the meal tonight and get it in a pot and make sure to stock up on stuff that I can use for some other time. Thanks for the tip on the stock pots too, I'll have to have a look for them in Tesco's when I am there.

My original stock pot was this mucho cheap from Wilko, originally bought for making something completely different. https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/style-works-stainless-steel-stock-pot/p/0218337

One comment would be make sure you have somewhere to put it, as whichever one you got for, they tend to be big. That's only is only 5ltr, but it has a decent footprint and volume, if you're trying to hide it away when not in use.

It went when I went to the electric pressure cooker. It lives on the work bench full time, as it is used so often.