Hi all. Newly diagnosed T2.

SGR1806-20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all.

My name is Leon and I’m 37. I got diagnosed as T2 in the last week of February with a hba1c in the 120’s and a fasting glucose of 14.1. I am waiting to discuss treatment options at my first diabetic review but the earliest they could get me an appointment was mid-April. I spent a couple of weeks angry at myself -my father was T2 diabetic and progressed from diet control in the late 1980’s, to metformin in the 1990’s, to injecting in the 2000’s, and then death from diabetic complications in 2007. I knew what was in store for me unless I ate healthier and lost weight, and yet here I am. I quit smoking five or six years ago, and in the last two years I started exercising more and started to lose the lbs, but I didn’t attend to my diet. High carbs and high sugar.

I just wanted to say hello and thank you so much. A friend who has recently gone into T2 remission pointed me in the right direction and I ended up here, lurking in this forum since a couple of days after my diagnosis and the advice and information you all give is fantastic. I bought a glucose monitor, and completely changed my lifestyle. I’ve gone low carb (30-75g per day, with a mind to flirt with a lower intake) and intermittent fasting. It has dragged my fasting glucose down from 14.1 to around 5.4, and postprandial readings in the 6’s and 7’s. After long dog walks, I end up around 4.6. I’ve also dropped 9lbs.

I am hoping when my review appointment date finally rolls around, I can stay clear of medications.

-Leon

Reactions: Adm_Mad and Prem51

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views

I am hoping when my review appointment date finally rolls around, I can stay clear of medications.

-Leon
Hi and welcome to the forums! Well done on taking your health into your own hands, that is a dramatic improvement and here is hoping it keeps on getting better for you.

Reactions: Prem51 and keefidee

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Way To Go! Your future is looking brighter already so well done.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @SGR1806-20. Well done on your bg and weight reductions, and well done to your friend for pointing you to this forum.