Fasting when on Insulin?

umabell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals and children.
Would like to fast intermittently but I have Insulin morning after Breakfast and after Dinner in the evening. Is it safe to fast ie skip breakfast and not take insulin but have dinner and take insulin? Hope this makes sense!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on a mixed insulin? If so, it isn't safe.

M

Member496333

I would advise anyone using exogenous insulin or oral hypoglycaemics to exercise extreme vigilance when changing anything regarding diet and exercise.

D

Deleted Account

I would advise anyone using exogenous insulin or oral hypoglycaemics to exercise extreme vigilance when changing anything regarding diet and exercise.
As @ANTJE has suggested, this depends entirely on the insulin regime.
For example, it is not unusual for someone with type 1 diabetes, treated with insulin, to fast during Ramadan.
This is much easier when on a basal bolus insulin regime with carb counting.

M

Member496333

As @ANTJE has suggested, this depends entirely on the insulin regime.
For example, it is not unusual for someone with type 1 diabetes, treated with insulin, to fast during Ramadan.
This is much easier when on a basal bolus insulin regime with carb counting.

I can quite imagine. I think my point was that anyone using insulin had better know what they are doing when making dietary changes.

Reactions: Kim Possible

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I'm fasting for a blood test I don't take my insulin in the morning until I get home or some times I take half of it the last thing you want is to get a low when you're waiting for a blood test

Mike_T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We take quick acting (bolus) insulin to work with the carbs we take. If I don’t eat, I don’t need insulin. That’s not entirely true because the body will convert body fat, so I continue to take my background (basal) insulin. Works no problem. Everyone should be on a carb counting regime. That way you adjust your insulin intake based on your carb intake, also is a good time to monitor and adjust your basal dose when you fast.

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
Basal will be needed as this is meant to keep you stable when fasting. Bolus is only to cover food so if you are eating less or missing a meal then reduce or miss the bolus too. If you only take basal insulin then I wouldn’t mess with your diet without talking to a dietitian first as you might have to reduce your insulin shot too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would like to fast intermittently but I have Insulin morning after Breakfast and after Dinner in the evening. Is it safe to fast ie skip breakfast and not take insulin but have dinner and take insulin? Hope this makes sense!
Your profile says T1 but you have posted in the T2 forum area.. can you just clarify which you are just so advice can be tailored appropriately? Thanks

Penroy

I am new to the forum and very interested in learning how to post and start threads. I have just finished taking a course called 'undo diabetes '. It had several tips to help out. Label reading was very enlightening, Don't know what labels in the U.K. look but here in Canada they leave a lot of the math to the reader. Also interested in what people think of Bullet Proof Coffee in a diabetic program.