Newly Diagnosed

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,I'm new here,and very confused.i am not diabetic,but suffering with regular hypo attacks,which I'm told is due to the fact my stomach was removed,4 years ago,due to a rare tumour in my stomach I feel I'll,I'm waiting for a dexcome g6 sensor fitted,and for a dietician to contact me,I have been waiting 4 month ,and still nothing.
I'm so confused,and scared,I've had attacks where my body has been kind of fitting,can anyone offer me any advice please.
Michelle
Hi and welcome Michelle

Sorry to hear you are going through this. It must be very frightening.

I suspect your situation is pretty unique, but you are more likely to get responses from people if I move your post into its own thread, where more people will see it.
Just reply to my post and let me know if you do.

Have you got any way of measuring your blood glucose? And do you think that your fits are caused by blood glucose fluctuations, or by something else?

J Dean Jr

Hey, family! OMG! I received the same gift from Santa for Christmas 2018! Here’s my story’s... I was working very hard Oct - Dec. and was trying to lose weight by taking Apple Cider vinegar. I noticed some weight loss and began drinking water by the gallon. I let things go for a few weeks then really began to lose weight; about 20 lbs over 2 months. My clothes were almost hanging off. When I went home for Christmas, my family noticed the weight loss. I became concerned, but had an idea of what was going on. My mother, sister and brother are diabetic. I asked my mom to check my glucose level and it was 384 that night, 12/21/18. She was shocked, as was I. I checked it the next morning - after fasting - and it was 280. Still waaaaayyyuu too high. I then noticed that is could see text messages, but could see things far away. All of this just ruined my Christmas, which is my favorite holiday of the year. I immediately scheduled an appt to see my doctor after returning home from the holidays. He confirmed that had Diabetes 2. He prescribed Metformin and Actos, exercise, diet and a reduction in work. He advised that mine is 100% reversible and that type 2 is reversible in most cases if we stick to plan. By sticking to plan, my glucose level went from 280 to 130 in 2 weeks. I bought a $400 pair of glasses and never had to wear them. My biggest issue is having to cope with a smaller body frame (from 265lbs to 240lbs). I am used to being the strapping muscular type, but still look ok...

Hey there! We are in this together... Are you on medication? My eyesight was also blurry; couldn’t see text messages, but could see things in a distance. My eyesight cleared up in 2 weeks after starting my meds.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It’s now been 3 weeks since my diagnosis and I still have blurry eyes along with a new symptom of dry eyes which is driving me mad. I too had a HUGE panic attack when I googled it and had to go home from work because of the worry.
Anybody else’s blurry vision take time to get back to normal?
@Gav-wxm I didn't get any retinopathy symptoms (I do get dry eyes though). Many of the T2s on the forum who did have blurry vision found that it improved as they lowered their blood glucose levels.
I always had dry eyes. I used to think it was an allergic reaction to pollen or pollution, but my optician said it is 'dry eyes' and advised me to get some eye ointment. I bought some 'VitA-POS' on the internet which helps a bit.

Gav-wxm

@Gav-wxm I didn't get any retinopathy symptoms (I do get dry eyes though). Many of the T2s on the forum who did have blurry vision found that it improved as they lowered their blood glucose levels.
I always had dry eyes. I used to think it was an allergic reaction to pollen or pollution, but my optician said it is 'dry eyes' and advised me to get some eye ointment. I bought some 'VitA-POS' on the internet which helps a bit.

Thanks very much, yes I have bought some dry eyes droplets and they seem to help out. I didn’t realise it was dry eyes as I have never had it before, it just felt like my eyes were burning

Salts13

Hi and welcome Michelle

Sorry to hear you are going through this. It must be very frightening.

I suspect your situation is pretty unique, but you are more likely to get responses from people if I move your post into its own thread, where more people will see it.
Just reply to my post and let me know if you do.

Have you got any way of measuring your blood glucose? And do you think that your fits are caused by blood glucose fluctuations, or by something else?

Salts13

Hi, I've now been fitted with the dexcom sensor,which has only caused me more confusion,and fatigue.my blood glucose is all over the place at the end of a day
Even after cutting all sugar as much as possible,using stevia where needed.(rarely.)
Trying to only eat good carbs,and doing a food diet.i still feel so ill,confused,bad headaches, tired,dizzy.im not diabetic,but do have other autoimmune problems,could this be anything to do with yet another.any help will be much appreciated.
Thankyou

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've now been fitted with the dexcom sensor,which has only caused me more confusion,and fatigue.my blood glucose is all over the place at the end of a day
Even after cutting all sugar as much as possible,using stevia where needed.(rarely.)
Trying to only eat good carbs,and doing a food diet.i still feel so ill,confused,bad headaches, tired,dizzy.im not diabetic,but do have other autoimmune problems,could this be anything to do with yet another.any help will be much appreciated.
Thankyou

That sounds terrible.

The trouble is, your situation sounds so unique (stomach removal, and autoimmune issues) that I just don't feel above to offer much at all.

I have some food intolerances that definitely make my blood glucose go more unstable. Gluten seems to be the worst of those. But no idea if that is in the slightest bit relevent to you.

And we have had members with gastropareisis discussing how that affects both digestive times (either fast or slow) with a knock on effect on blood glucose.

We have also had members who experience 'dumping syndrome' and other issues following bariatric surgery, which can cause reactive hypoglycaemia.

Depending on your personal situation you may find it useful to have a google and/or a forum search for those things.

Best wishes,