Decided to ditch the metformin

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dropped ny dosage from 500mg SR two per day to one and feeling much better. BG numbers creeping a bit. Does anyone know if 850 mg SR x 1 is likely to cause less or more side effects than 500 mg SR x 2 per day?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Does anyone know if 850 mg SR x 1 is likely to cause less or more side effects than 500 mg SR x 2 per day?

It probably isn't possible to say because it's going to vary from person to person. On this forum alone I have read of some people who have had no problems, some who had less problems with the SR version and some who couldn't tolerate either version. My own experience has been mixed. I was very unwell with Metformin initially, then I reduced my carbs and Metformin was much easier to cope with much less (fewer?) side effects. Finally, now I take the SR version, almost no problems at all.

Reactions: Shas3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dropped ny dosage from 500mg SR two per day to one and feeling much better. BG numbers creeping a bit. Does anyone know if 850 mg SR x 1 is likely to cause less or more side effects than 500 mg SR x 2 per day?

Bearing in mind lots and lots of people take higher doses, and the normal release without issue, it's a very personal thing where your tolerance levels lie. Literally, the only thing to do would be to try it, as an almost halfway house. Although it's less that the 2 x 500mgr daily dose, it is more in a single dose, so who knows.

The only consolation to the experimentation is Metformin is not an expensive drug (usually !), so provided you don't buy (I recall you're not in UK) a huge amount, it shouldnot be too expensive an experiment.

If your Doctor will prescribe it, why not give it a go?

Reactions: Shas3

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bearing in mind lots and lots of people take higher doses, and the normal release without issue, it's a very personal thing where your tolerance levels lie. Literally, the only thing to do would be to try it, as an almost halfway house. Although it's less that the 2 x 500mgr daily dose, it is more in a single dose, so who knows.

The only consolation to the experimentation is Metformin is not an expensive drug (usually !), so provided you don't buy (I recall you're not in UK) a huge amount, it shouldnot be too expensive an experiment.

If your Doctor will prescribe it, why not give it a go?

Totally agree. I will discuss with my doctor tomorrow. If i can manage this with minimum Metformin and lifestyle and diet!!!! Thanks....