Low Carb Denver (March 8-10, 2019)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watching the first talk by Robb Wolf on the subject "Will Low Carb Diets Shorten Your Life" - covering a lot of the "research" that has been all over the media over the past year or so.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The first of the videos has been released:
Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian - 'A History of Nutrition Science: Research, Guidelines & Food Policy'

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gary Taubes - 'The Qualities of Calories: lessons from the front line, Zurich & LCHF in practice':

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr. Benjamin Bikman - 'Ketones: The Metabolic Advantage'

@Guzzler - as a fellow Bikman fan, thought I'd tag you for this one :)

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Dr. Benjamin Bikman - 'Ketones: The Metabolic Advantage'

@Guzzler - as a fellow Bikman fan, thought I'd tag you for this one :)

Thanks Indy. Saved to favourites! Explains why so many people who embark on a Ketogenic diet see a return to greater energy levels that they may have been missing out on for some time.
I can't pretend to understand everything but what I take from the video is that ketogenesis promotes a cleaner, more efficient and healthier metabolic state.
Interesting also was the part on muscle health wrt to ROS and the ref to the failing heart using ketones.

Ben's presentations are never long enough - always leave me wanting more. Thanks for posting.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gary Taubes - 'The Qualities of Calories: lessons from the front line, Zurich & LCHF in practice':

His rebuttal of Dariush' presentation was priceless. And he has bacon...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The first of the videos has been released:
Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian - 'A History of Nutrition Science: Research, Guidelines & Food Policy'

He's gonna get ripped apart by the questions I hope.. a dangerous man..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
He's gonna get ripped apart by the questions I hope.. a dangerous man..

Apparently, the Q&A session is a doozy according to a YouTube comment by someone who attended the conference. Can't wait.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr. David Unwin & Dr. Jen Unwin - 'Behaviour Change 'In a nutshell' & Picking our low carb battles':

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr. Caryn Zinn - 'Building Healthy Athletes... from beginner to winner':

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dr. Fung is right, medicine has become so compartmentalised that doctors become blind to the patient as a whole. You can almost feel his exasperation.

You were on fire with your posting, this one had only just popped up in my feed when I got your ping.

Reactions: Indy51

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr. David Ludwig - 'The Carbohydrate Insulin Model of Obesity'

Reactions: Pasha

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks, Indy. I havn't seen this one (Ludwig) yet but was watching Ivor with guest Dr. Andy Phung last night and Ivor mentioned that he moderated a debate between Dariush Mozafarian and Gary Taubes at the end of this conference which I am really looking forward to seeing. I took against Mozafarian at Swiss Re but I'm open to changing my mind.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Indy. I'd just watched and posted David Ludwig but you beat me to it here! Great plus he referenced someone talking about low carb for type 1s so am looking forward to that (Belinda...?_)
Will be looking to the Unwins to inspire me again for rolling this out in practice!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The CICO model surely has to be put to bed? Even if one is unconvinced of the Insulin Carb model detractors must surely have to admit that obesity is a multifactorial problem. I found Ludwig's lecture really incitful in its attention to the individual responses as opposed to the 6 Day (mean average) meta analysis example that was shown. Good stuff.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Panel Discussion - 'Appropriate Dietary Guidelines for Improving Population Health'

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Panel Discussion - 'Appropriate Dietary Guidelines for Improving Population Health'

Sadly, no change in my opinion of Dariush, still missing the point that all those numbers he's crunching are real people. And how he can equate the churning of milk into butter with the manufacturing processes used to make seed oils is just mind numbingly shocking.

Reactions: Freema