High reading #worried

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, been away from this forum for a long time. This last week my morning readings have been really high and I don’t know why. Any ideas? I know if I go to my gp/nurse they will tell me that I shouldn’t be testing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What were they normally, and what are they now? Have you changed anything at all - diet, exercise, medications etc. Are you under stress at the moment? Are you coming down with an infection or illness? Have you just opened a new pack of strips? Are you on any other medication than Metformin?

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What were they normally, and what are they now? Have you changed anything at all - diet, exercise, medications etc. Are you under stress at the moment? Are you coming down with an infection or illness? Have you just opened a new pack of strips? Are you on any other medication than Metformin?

Hi, morning readings are normally around 8. Nothing has changed recently apart from a massive increase in stress :( didn’t think that could have such an impact. Last 3 days have been 19.3, 17.9 and 18.8 (previous days were similar)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, morning readings are normally around 8. Nothing has changed recently apart from a massive increase in stress :( didn’t think that could have such an impact. Last 3 days have been 19.3, 17.9 and 18.8 (previous days were similar)

Stress is a major factor - almost as much as carbs, so that could be a reason., especially if it affects your sleep. However, I do urge you to see your nurse or GP. Those figures are very high and need to be addressed - unless they reduce again pretty quickly. Your nurse can tell you off for testing as much as she likes, but she cannot make you stop, and she is wrong. Without testing you would never have spotted this problem until you became ill with it.

Reactions: Daphne917 and HSSS

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @P1ckle

Good to hear from you but sorry about your fasting readings. Yes stress can cause high readings. If I remember you were teaching and near the end of term is always a bad time so that won't be helping either. I would also suggest speaking to your medical team as you might be going down with an infection or somethings else.
Take care.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@P1ckle I won't reiterate what others have said about stress, but how are you feeling at those levels?

If you are feeling poorly on them, the please consider calling 111 for some advice, but otherwise, take on board plenty of fluids and maybe have a decent walk if you can.

If your stress is very temporary, you may have learned a harsh lesson. If your stress looks like it'll go on for a while, you may need some intervention with those numbers because longer term they could be damaging.

You mention these being morning numbers. What is the rest of the day like?

Reactions: Shas3

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all. Stress is likely to be long term as I don’t seem to be able to manage it. Readings fluctuate during the day but not below 9. I am so tired and thirsty.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all. Stress is likely to be long term as I don’t seem to be able to manage it. Readings fluctuate during the day but not below 9. I am so tired and thirsty.

P1ckle, I would suggest if you're not getting below 9 at all that a discussion with your Doctor makes all manner of sense.

I don't know what sort of stress you are under (and I'm not asking you to explain), but maybe consider some meditation, or the like to help you relax a bit? Stress is horrid.

I hope things ease a bit for you soon.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What have you been eating/ drinking?
Maybe cutting something carby could help take the edge off those numbers. Stress may well be the main factor, but going up to 19 would be a very big jump from stress alone.
Anyway, good luck with it: don't worry too much- that won't help; just go to see the doctor and maybe try to get those numbers down with some walking and carb reduction. Let us know how you get on!

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What have you been eating/ drinking?
Maybe cutting something carby could help take the edge off those numbers. Stress may well be the main factor, but going up to 19 would be a very big jump from stress alone.
Anyway, good luck with it: don't worry too much- that won't help; just go to see the doctor and maybe try to get those numbers down with some walking and carb reduction. Let us know how you get on!

Thanks. Carbs not been too bad I thought...guess they must be though.

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. I’d like to see some smaller numbers soon.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Carbs not been too bad I thought...guess they must be though.
Do you eat carbs to a particular plan usually? Have a limit? What’s a typical days food/carbs? Has anything changed recently? Maybe we can help there.......

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you eat carbs to a particular plan usually? Have a limit? What’s a typical days food/carbs? Has anything changed recently? Maybe we can help there.......

I don’t actually have a plan not having a plan has been ok so far but it’s not working anymore. I’ve cut bread and pasta and design meals around protein and veg. I think this is the time to say help? What should I do? Saw GP this morning and got told off for testing. Was then told I need a1c as those reading are too high. If a1c is up again then more meds may be needed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t actually have a plan not having a plan has been ok so far but it’s not working anymore. I’ve cut bread and pasta and design meals around protein and veg. I think this is the time to say help? What should I do? Saw GP this morning and got told off for testing. Was then told I need a1c as those reading are too high. If a1c is up again then more meds may be needed.

What exactly do you eat - breakfast, lunch, evening meal? Are you snacking at all, if so when and what?

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You got told off for testing? but that's bonkers! without testing you wouldn't know and therefore couldn't act. Since they think it worthy of an HbAc1 test they should be congratulating you for testing and taking responsibility rather than being the passive victim of care it sounds like they want you to be.
Outrageous.
Once you get your test I would be looking for a new GP who collaborates in your care rather than wanting to be it's master.
Hope you find out what's going on and fix it soon.

Reactions: P1ckle and Shas3
M

Member496333

You got told off for testing? but that's bonkers! without testing you wouldn't know and therefore couldn't act. Since they think it worthy of an HbAc1 test they should be congratulating you for testing and taking responsibility rather than being the passive victim of care it sounds like they want you to be.
Outrageous.
Once you get your test I would be looking for a new GP who collaborates in your care rather than wanting to be it's master.
Hope you find out what's going on and fix it soon.

Agree wholeheartedly. This whole “don’t test” malarkey needs to stop. Seriously, it needs to be written into the standard of care that HCPs are forbidden from advising diabetics not to self-monitor. It’s preposterous :banghead:

Reactions: P1ckle

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Yeah I agree so much with everyone else @P1ckle you really need to keep testing and perhaps change GP's at this rate because that is ludicrous. Plus it would be good to get meal plans together and so on, some structure would be great and we're a good bunch for that.

I swear if my GP told me not to test then I would flip a table on them.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with all comments so far. Can you give us an idea of what you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It might help in seeing why your bloods are higher than normal

P1ckle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, thanks for the support. I will keep testing but it was a knock to face such negativity.

Typical day for me:
Breakfast (last week skipped because I freaked out at high readings)
Greek yogurt and blueberries or 40g porridge

Lunch
Lettuce, cucumber, carrot, onion, grilled chicken and mayo

Supper
Maybe chicken or fish with vegetables or stir fry

I don’t snack apart from maybe a banana.
I know I drink enough either.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O.k, I'm not as expert as others on here but I'm sure someone will be able to give you advice on the above food eaten. I would suggest to cut out the porridge and maybe replace with eggs, bacon, mushrooms or something else which contains no carbs just until you get better numbers. Lunch seems good to me. As for snacks, forget the banana and maybe have some nuts or cheese. As for morning readings it maybe the dawn phenomenon which hopefully improves as time goes on. I find if I eat something in the morning my blood sugar reduces but low carb food. Have you looked at diet doctor website which gives you some great ideas for low carbing. And do test, it does really give you great insight to what foods affect you and which foods don't. Everyone is different and reacts to food differently. Take care.