Coffee and Showers

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Up till this month I have had stable "feet on floor" blood glucose (BG) levels in the morning. I then drink black coffee, have a shower and roughly 2hrs later test again. My BG at this test has been usually 1 or 2 mMol higher but consistent at this level so OK thats how it's working, live with it. Over the last month same routine but BG post coffee and shower now varies widely anything from -2 to +4. Any ideas of the cause and possible methods of stabilisation would be appreciated.

Current treatment is Metformin and diet.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Has your sleep pattern changed at all?

M

Member496333

To be honest there are so many factors that can affect blood glucose through the day that it’s probably impossible to blame the coffee. Having said that, in theory the caffeine may have a small effect but I’ve personally never noticed it. More likely just morning creep.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has your sleep pattern changed at all?

My sleep pattern has not changed just the wild fluctuations. From post coffee post shower BG being steady it now swings wildly both up and down.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Could be your meter or the strips having issues too?

Hotpepper20000

It could you are fighting a cold or flu bug.
You might not feel sick but it still can cause higher bloodsuger while your body is fighting it.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be your meter or the strips having issues too?

Checked strips against a new tub and another meter and get 6.5, 6,6, 6.5 so well within tolerance. Checked meter calibration and thats OK.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Could it be Dawn Phenomenon? Some forum members say their bg continues to rise after getting up until they have something to eat. Or maybe if you like it add double cream or coconut oil to your coffee.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would try adding double cream to your coffee and see what happens. Some of us have bodies that prefer some fat first thing.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

keefidee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also find my meter readings increase immediately after a warm shower, I put it down to kickstarting the body and dawn phenomenon.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Or with warm skin we might get a larger amount of blood on the strip and this influences the reading ?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been a number of threads on the forum regarding seeing glucose levels rise after taking a morning shower - I see similar after a warm bath.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been a number of threads on the forum regarding seeing glucose levels rise after taking a morning shower - I see similar after a warm bath.

Funnily enough, I used to see a rise after a bath, but haven't done so in quite a long time now.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or with warm skin we might get a larger amount of blood on the strip and this influences the reading ?
Strips use capillary action to draw in exactly the same amount of blood every time. It doesn't matter about the size of the blood drop, unless it is too small in which case the meter gives an error.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There is one thing I have learned never take a cup of coffee into the shower with you. that way disaster lies.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Strips use capillary action to draw in exactly the same amount of blood every time. It doesn't matter about the size of the blood drop, unless it is too small in which case the meter gives an error.
I agree that that is the expected result but I have noted differences using the same drop of blood and excessivley and quickly loading up one strip compared to another.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough, I used to see a rise after a bath, but haven't done so in quite a long time now.
I probably should have said "have seen" as it's not something I've looked at very often - and not since I had serious issues with a batch of very unsticky Libre sensors a while back

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802