Hysterectomy

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
Hi, I had to have a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago due to cancer being diagnosed, I am type 2 on tablets and was struggling to control my levels due to the worry while waiting to go in but the hospital weren't worried (levels were running at about 8.5) I was lucky and had keyhole surgery so was only in for 24hrs and was allowed home late on the Thursday night. After the operation the levels were still the same but since I have been home I can't get them below 7 even though I am trying really hard, will it just be a matter of time or should I go to the Drs for a chat, not much faith in them though with the diabetes?
Had some good news yesterday that all the cancer had been removed and shouldn't come back fingers crossed.
Margaret

Reactions: NewlyLADA

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Margaret I am sorry you have had such a lot of worry but it is wonderful news that they got everything. I dontbthink you should worry too much about your BG if it isnt in double figures. Your body has been through a lot not to mention the stress of it all. But that is just my opinion and I would never say dont speak to your doctor. Btw I had the same procedure for a different reason in 2012 and though keyhole is a big plus from the alternative dont underestimate how careful you need to be for the next few months. Just because it doesnt look a lot on the outside it is much more complex on the inside. All best wishes to you.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maisiepug I had the same op due to cancer last year and, like you, were given the all clear a few weeks afterwards. Concentrate on getting better - it’s early days yet but as you become more active you should see an improvement. If they told you you will be back to normal within 4 weeks don’t believe them I was off work for a total 12 weeks (went back after 8 weeks lasted 3 days and, after having a telling off for going back too early, was signed off by the doctor for another 3 weeks) and on reduced hours for another 6 weeks. Look after yourself and hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: Pipp

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maisiepug - Irrespective of the fact your surgerry was done via keyhole (I had the full laparoscopic op, although thankfully not due to cancer), you have experienced major surgery and it will take your body time to recover fom that, and begin to heal. It can take a few days for all the anaesthetic chemicals clear your body.

In your shoes, I'd try my best to keep my bloods down. Are you due a visit from a district nurse to check on you? I had one after a day or two, just to check on my wound.

I do hope yourr recover as well and quickly as I did. I felt so well after my op!

Do you need any follow-up treatment?

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
Thank you for your best wishes everyone, I feel so well at the moment, the surgeon said I could start and take my dogs out for a little walk this weekend and that made me feel better (they are good girls and don't pull). All my external stitches have gone now but no district nurse visit, they are not available in my area, I am not bothered about eating much at the minute which the surgeon said was fine but to make sure I drink plenty of water, the worst thing at the moment is having to inject myself every night with blood thinning medication, it gives me a bad headache for about 10 mins and is quite painful for about half and hour afterwards, but only 11 more to go. No further treatment needed for the cancer and just a check up in October to make sure everything okay and that is with the nurse.
I am so pleased that I didn't ignore the early signs, started happening in October 2018, went to the Dr January 2019 as I was in denial at first, saw one consultant beginning of February who did a few procedures, got called back 2 weeks later to the cancer unit and he told me I had cancer and that he would be transferring me to another hospital for treatment, I was told on the day of my 44th wedding anniversary so didn't feel like celebrating. Went beginning of March saw the new consultant who said I was booked in for the 20th March for surgery but he couldn't fit me in and I would be seeing another consultant for the surgery, so from seeing the Dr within 3 months I had had surgery and back home to recover.
Wonders of modern medicine.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I had to have a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago due to cancer being diagnosed, I am type 2 on tablets and was struggling to control my levels due to the worry while waiting to go in but the hospital weren't worried (levels were running at about 8.5) I was lucky and had keyhole surgery so was only in for 24hrs and was allowed home late on the Thursday night. After the operation the levels were still the same but since I have been home I can't get them below 7 even though I am trying really hard, will it just be a matter of time or should I go to the Drs for a chat, not much faith in them though with the diabetes?
Had some good news yesterday that all the cancer had been removed and shouldn't come back fingers crossed.
Margaret
2 weeks isn't long in and I would never under estimate the time it can take to recover from a major op. So glad to hear that the operation has worked so that at least the psychological stress is easing? But your body will still be physiologically stressed = cortisol = increased insulin resistance. Do also keep an eye on the wound to make sure there is no infection there but I am assuming that you or the nurses are monitoring this?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your best wishes everyone, I feel so well at the moment, the surgeon said I could start and take my dogs out for a little walk this weekend and that made me feel better (they are good girls and don't pull). All my external stitches have gone now but no district nurse visit, they are not available in my area, I am not bothered about eating much at the minute which the surgeon said was fine but to make sure I drink plenty of water, the worst thing at the moment is having to inject myself every night with blood thinning medication, it gives me a bad headache for about 10 mins and is quite painful for about half and hour afterwards, but only 11 more to go. No further treatment needed for the cancer and just a check up in October to make sure everything okay and that is with the nurse.
I am so pleased that I didn't ignore the early signs, started happening in October 2018, went to the Dr January 2019 as I was in denial at first, saw one consultant beginning of February who did a few procedures, got called back 2 weeks later to the cancer unit and he told me I had cancer and that he would be transferring me to another hospital for treatment, I was told on the day of my 44th wedding anniversary so didn't feel like celebrating. Went beginning of March saw the new consultant who said I was booked in for the 20th March for surgery but he couldn't fit me in and I would be seeing another consultant for the surgery, so from seeing the Dr within 3 months I had had surgery and back home to recover.

I was incredibly well after my op. I was walking upright and once out of hospital (3.5 days post op) I didn't take any more oral analgesics. I walked every day; much to my Mother's horror. According to her, I should have been sporting a fetching bed jacket, reading People's Friend or something.

She had come almost 350 miles to look after me, but I dispatched her home when I couldn't hack the echo of "should you really be doing that?" any more. I'm not a good patient, but I felt fab!

Good luck with it all and enjoy the fresh air. Just don't forget to listen to your body. If it says, "enough", they obey it.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
@maisiepug I had the same op due to cancer last year and, like you, were given the all clear a few weeks afterwards. Concentrate on getting better - it’s early days yet but as you become more active you should see an improvement. If they told you you will be back to normal within 4 weeks don’t believe them I was off work for a total 12 weeks (went back after 8 weeks lasted 3 days and, after having a telling off for going back too early, was signed off by the doctor for another 3 weeks) and on reduced hours for another 6 weeks. Look after yourself and hope you feel better soon.
Agree......slowly does it

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner

Looks like a positive o outcome.......well done but.....take it easy and don't rush it!!

NewlyLADA

I am getting this surgery done next Monday. Mine is due to my tissue being attached to my uterus and ENDO, my BS is so up and down currently before and during my periods, I’m actually in my cycle now and tried to vacuum the house I had to sit down I was so exhausted BS was normal but I feel dizzy and exhausted. I’m thinking to myself this is the last time I have to feel like this or have a period. I’m 42. I’m type 1 on Lantus once a day only 4units I have been controlling the eating part so far with diet, not meal time insulin... though it is in my quick future and I do have it on hand.
I hope that I will not spike post surgery, or drop I’m a LADA and I’m still in the partial honeymoon phase. I have taken 1.5 weeks off work but reading through this feed I see others had to take much longer, I do sit at a desk all day, is that the same as you others that had to take more time? My doctor seems to think 1.5 week and I should feel ok to go back, even if I have to start with 1/2 days. This post helped a lot, and it sounds like you did well, how are you at this point?

NewlyLADA

️ this makes me feel so happy, since your on a pump I’m assuming your type 1, are you a LADA? How long have you had diabetes? Did you have exhaustion during your cycle prior to opp?

NewlyLADA

I am not sure what is the difference between type 1 and LADA. I was diagnosed in my 30s and had had type 1 for about a dozen years when I had the op.
I had a LASH Laproscopic Sub total Hysterectomy due to large fibroids causing severe pain and very heavy bleeding. I put any exhaustion down to blood loss. My exhaustion was not as severe as pain and bleeding.

I’m excited and scared all at the same time. Can’t wait to be pain free, yet never had a surgery before.
I don’t want to over do anything, going back to work and taking dog for walks is my goal in two weeks after .... I’m also hosting a international cruise in September but should totally be good for that!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m excited and scared all at the same time. Can’t wait to be pain free, yet never had a surgery before.
I don’t want to over do anything, going back to work and taking dog for walks is my goal in two weeks after .... I’m also hosting a international cruise in September but should totally be good for that!

NewlyLADA I had a subtotal hysterectomy several years ago, Bynum laparotomy (I don't know why I wrote laparoscopy earlier on,.... Doh).

The words of my surgeon were to be as mobile as I could comfortably be, but not to lift anything heavier than a kettle for the first couple of weeks. He assured me that could make a difference in both recovery time and wellness. I was happy enough to oblige.

My scar is flat, no bulge above, which is common with open surgery, and now hard to find.

Good luck with e op, but do listen to your body. If it says enough, don't be thinking just because others could, you can.

I'm not having a go at anyone by saying that, but more it's so easy to set enthusiastic expectations for ourselves, when we're all s on different, and none of us know until afterwards, the full extent of the surgical assault we have undergone.

Fingers crossed for you. I certain felt very, very well afterwards, and have never regretted having it done.

Reactions: NewlyLADA

NewlyLADA

Update:
I had my hysterectomy Monday, through the key hole. They left my ovaries. The pain was only bad for about 48 hours, my BG levels, unbelievably were 120-140 (6.6-7.7) even with no food and only 3 units per day of lantus. I think my levels this week post surgery have been the best they have been in a couple months. I guess the little good blood cells I still have are back home for a bit.
ENDo doc said I have to start really working on counting my carbs and starting to take meal time shots as one day soon I will wake up and those little good cells are going to be gone. I have my A1C down to 5.8 from 9.7 at diagnosis Dec 23, 2018. I feel I will heel well.
I do have Vertigo and nausea and have a hard time walking a lot or riding in the car I’m on day 5 of recovery. I guess this can last up to two weeks and someone that is prone to sea sickness gets the worst of it from the Anastasia. Anyone else experience this, how long did it last? I can’t drive or work until it subsides.
Sarah