Hunger

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I’m only newly diagnosed but I don’t understand why I’m hungry all the time. I can’t seem to get full no matter what. I don’t want to eat too much or something wrong. Is this normal or an effect from the insulin?

Pmerrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you checked your blood sugar, I feel “hungry” if I’m a bit low?

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have and it’s 11.1. This has been going on for a few days now. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Thank you for replying.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Your body may also be trying to regain weight lost pre- diagnosis.

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess you may need to have a bit of patience and wait for your body to adjust to running on lower sugar levels

Yeah I would say you are right. I’m still on a fixed dose pending review. My doc tells me I’m in the honeymoon phase. Thank you.

Pmerrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
What Colin said resonated with me somewhat. I recall when I was first adjusting to lower blood sugars I would feel low when in actuality I wasn’t. Good luck with it all

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much I appreciate all of you for your help.

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin does make you hungry. I'm on high doses and I'm permanently hungry, which sucks. Yours will probably settle down as your body adjusts to having insulin again, and as you fine-tune your doses.

In the meantime maybe buy some high-fat low-sugar snacks like nuts, which will stave off the hunger but won't affect your blood sugars?

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will buy those thank you. I’m in a bit of a depression at the moment over it all right now. Thank you for your help.

Pmerrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
It can all seem a little daunting at first and there’s so much to learn. This forum can help with that, but you need to learn about how Diabetes affects you as we’re all different. You’ll get there and it will get easier to deal with as your knowledge grows. Before long you’ll be sharing with others who need help. Try to remain positive if you can. Take care.
Pete

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insulin may make you hungry but I will not go as far as the definite "does" make you hungry.
This is not an issue I have ever experienced.
I guess we are all different.

Insulin causes hunger; it's a scientific fact. The extent of it will vary depend on the individual and the dose, but it is a fact.

D

Deleted Account

Insulin causes hunger; it's a scientific fact. The extent of it will vary depend on the individual and the dose, but it is a fact.
My understanding is that "elevated levels of insulin" cause hunger.
Ok, I haven't found a definition of "elevated levels" but as someone without diabetes produces their own insulin, if it was as simple as insulin causes hunger, then people without diabetes would be hungry and people with untreated type 1 would be less hungry (as insulin is only one thing which may cause hunger).
Someone recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on a low dose of insulin is less likely to feel hungry all the time due to the injected insulin.

I have had type 1 diabetes for over 15 years, feel no more hungry now and weigh no more than when I was first diagnosed.
I may be a sample of one but I do not believe I am alone.

I am passionate about this as being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and being told you will be injecting insulin for the rest of your life is a traumatic experience. Adding unnecessary fear is not helpful. With diabulimia in the press recently, I believe we need to be careful with some of the messaging we provide as people with experience of type 1 diabetes. I do not condone hiding information but I do condone ensuring the information provided is appropriate.

Reactions: Circuspony

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can all seem a little daunting at first and there’s so much to learn. This forum can help with that, but you need to learn about how Diabetes affects you as we’re all different. You’ll get there and it will get easier to deal with as your knowledge grows. Before long you’ll be sharing with others who need help. Try to remain positive if you can. Take care.
Pete

Thank you, I will try my very best x

Vickitub

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Vickitub how you doing?

As your new to this game you may well feel hungry as your body sorts itself out with taking insulin, not sure it is a "scientific fact" because there is a fair few mechanisms at work here, doing to old Google can lead to some interesting papers on the subject.

As your seeing your Doctor soon they should hopefully explain things a little more, be good to get you carb counting and adjusting insulin for the foods, which will help :)

Chin up chuck :) don't get depressed about it, its just one of those things and you is now a member of and exclusive gang :)

Note: I am writing this while partly hypo, so if it does not make sense :)
Thank you for the advice and I hope your hypo gets better soon x