Birthday

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's my birthday tomorrow! But I'm dreading the party my family n friends have prepared ..the food will no doubt be high in carbs but I don't want to spoil things and not join in with eating like the rest! Not many of them understand...but for one day I might have to treat myself

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Happy birthday for tomorrow! :)

In all honesty, they don't have to understand. I assume you've done DAFNE or some form of carb counting? I'd just take a plate and fill it with the things I want to eat, then count the carbs for it and match my insulin for it. You can still have that slice of cake :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Saeeda

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Saeeda ,

Many happy returns in advace of tomorrow.

Where are your issues with this scenario? Bolus for the usual amount of carbohydrate you are comfortable with & enjoy the company of your folks...I'm confident when it comes to working out what's happening with the "cake," it's perfectly acceptable to "doggybag" it for later... ;)

Just have fun!

Reactions: Prem51

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I don't want to spoil things and not join in with eating like the rest!

If you had a nut allergy would they want you to eat nuts, if you were lactose intolerant would you be forced to eat dairy products, if gluten intolerant would you be expected to consume gluten. Being unable to cope with carbs is no different.

Having type II means that we will all be able to tolerate different amounts. You know your limits and it's your choice. 3 weeks ago I had a bit of a fling for just two days, I'm still regretting it.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
It's my birthday tomorrow! But I'm dreading the party my family n friends have prepared ..the food will no doubt be high in carbs but I don't want to spoil things and not join in with eating like the rest! Not many of them understand...but for one day I might have to treat myself
Happy Birthday.......and I say forget the diet for one day.....but try not to let it become too many 'just one days'.....it's easy to break discipline for so called 'just one days'.....eg easter,christmas,birthdays(yours and others' etc

Saeeda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Davidgrahamjones
As a matter of fact I am gluten intolerant and I am lactose intolerant.