Type 2 Steroids and high blood sugar reading help

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Happy Easter everyone. I just want some advice please. On Friday 12th I had a weird allergy attack (first time ever , not sure why) but I had to stay in hospital for 3 days and I got treated with antihistamines and steroids. I got released from hospital but had to keep taking the steroids until 17th April. I have read that these can interfere with blood sugar readings. I have been on really low carbs since 15th ,about 20 carbs per day. I'm drinking water and walking everyday. I feel really weak and my legs feel really heavy so walking is slow. My sugars will not go lower than 15. Just now its 18.3. Does anyone know how long it could take to get my sugars back to some kind of normality. Usually I am well controlled with readings around 5.7 -7.7. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might help. Thanks for your help. x

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am not able to offer any practical help but hope someone with knowledge of steroids will be along soon. Your allergy reaction must have been bad to be hospitalised so could it be that causing high levels also? Did they get to the bottom of the cause of the reaction? It does seem that anything and everything can affect BG levels. Best wishes.

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Hi I am not able to offer any practical help but hope someone with knowledge of steroids will be along soon. Your allergy reaction must have been bad to be hospitalised so could it be that causing high levels also? Did they get to the bottom of the cause of the reaction? It does seem that anything and everything can affect BG levels. Best wishes.

Thanks PenguinMum. I think you are probably right when you say just about anything can cause blood sugars to go mad. I will keep tracking it and give it some more time. Thanks again x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks PenguinMum. I think you are probably right when you say just about anything can cause blood sugars to go mad. I will keep tracking it and give it some more time. Thanks again x
Which steroids were you taking?

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there. Taking steroids will unfortunately raise your blood sugars and make them more difficult to manage. I have been on steroids for the past 18 months so have experienced this first hand. Things will settle down once you stop them. Unfortunately prednisoline is not a drug that you can just stop. You need to reduce it gradually. I am now down to 5mg a day. It has taken from Nov last year to get to this dose. I have been reducing them 1mg a month.

I would contact your DSN for some advice

Take care

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Hi there. Taking steroids will unfortunately raise your blood sugars and make them more difficult to manage. I have been on steroids for the past 18 months so have experienced this first hand. Things will settle down once you stop them. Unfortunately prednisoline is not a drug that you can just stop. You need to reduce it gradually. I am now down to 5mg a day. It has taken from Nov last year to get to this dose. I have been reducing them 1mg a month.

I would contact your DSN for some advice

Take care

Thank you h884. I think i will

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The further away you get from having finished the prednisolone, the better things will get. Just depends on how it affects you. A lot of courses are fairly short and some are longer, depends on what it is being prescribed for. This drug has certainly turned it's fair share of people into type2's due to its impact on blood glucose levels.

I'd call about the levels being that high.

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
The further away you get from having finished the prednisolone, the better things will get. Just depends on how it affects you. A lot of courses are fairly short and some are longer, depends on what it is being prescribed for. This drug has certainly turned it's fair share of people into type2's due to its impact on blood glucose levels.

I'd call about the levels being that high.
Thanks Tophat1900. I have found some more info over the internet which says similar to what you say about the longer im off them the better it will get. I will stick to my low carb exercise and just hope that time will bring my sugars down. thanks for you help.

Reactions: Tophat1900

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running