Fluctuating blood sugar

R92

Hi everyone,

I am new here and wanted to ask some help regarding blood sugar issues.

A while ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and for some reason, this made me lose A LOT of weight, since my diagnosis and treatment I have slowly been able to gain the weight back which is great.

However during this time I have been experiencing a lot of low blood sugar episodes around an hour or two after eating (around 3 nmol/L) this has been going on for around 6 months, now all of a sudden my blood sugar is a little high after eating (around 9 nmol/L)

I eat a lot of protein and I do have carbs everyday, but I don't feel I eat a lot, I can't afford to cut out foods as I really need to keep the weight on, diabetes does run in my family and I do not have diabetes but these changes in my blood sugar is making me a little concerned. Does anyone have any idea what I could do?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you seen a doctor about this? That is what you need to do. We can't advise anything. Your doctor will take some blood tests to see if you may be diabetic, but you need to tell him you get a lot of lows, which may make the diagnostic test inaccurate (it is called an HbA1c and is a sort of average of your blood glucose levels over the previous 2 to 3 months - so if you have a lot of low numbers it will mask the true average.)

Do have a word with your GP and point out these things.

R92

Have you seen a doctor about this? That is what you need to do. We can't advise anything. Your doctor will take some blood tests to see if you may be diabetic, but you need to tell him you get a lot of lows, which may make the diagnostic test inaccurate (it is called an HbA1c and is a sort of average of your blood glucose levels over the previous 2 to 3 months - so if you have a lot of low numbers it will mask the true average.)

Do have a word with your GP and point out these things.
Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will have a word with my doctor, I have had the HbA1c in the past which has always been around 30 but I didn't realise the lows could affect this, so I will discuss this with them, I did want to avoid going back as they don't take me too seriously up there.
Thanks again!

Reactions: Bluetit1802