What to eat when there’s a stomach bug around

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Guys

I’ve contracted some kind of stomach bug and, since yesterday, I had nothing but the runs. Unfortunately, in the States for a week so can’t see my regular GP.

at any rate: what to eat? Everyone is advising sticky rice, which being T2 I can’t eat. Any ideas?

Thanks

John

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Depending on your meds, if you take any, is fasting but with plenty of fluids out of the question?

Reactions: johnrubinstein

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guys

I’ve contracted some kind of stomach bug and, since yesterday, I had nothing but the runs. Unfortunately, in the States for a week so can’t see my regular GP.

at any rate: what to eat? Everyone is advising sticky rice, which being T2 I can’t eat. Any ideas?

Thanks

John

Most causes of diarrhoea are self limiting. Keep up your fluids but not just water, that may ‘water down’ your electrolytes.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Immodium for starters and then a decent thick steak if you're hungry. Worked for me once or twice

D

Deleted member 308541

I have just got over a stomach bug I have had for the last couple of days, I ate a small amount for breakfast, hardly any thing for lunch and small meal for dinner.

I kept the fluids up, water, and I also had Staminade electrolyte drinks.

I also took Imodium capsules.

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks guys. Have done the Imodium bit, but that’s done nothing. Am drinking lots of Gatorade (the sugar free version) for the electrolytes. @Guzzler, fasting is not out of the question, but fancy @Mike D’s suggestion of a steak. Will give the latter a try, but failing that will definitely fast. Also dropping by the chemist which is within walking distance and see if they have anything better to suggest than Imodium.

John

Reactions: Guzzler

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ginger tea, coconut water, and for a day or two don’t worry too much about having rice or banana.
Avoid milk and dairy food, but after diarrhoea settles some live yogurt might be useful for gut biome.

Hope you feel better soon.

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
OK. many thanks for all suggestions. Right now, I’m waiting to get seated at the best local steakhouse. Earlier, went to the chemist and they recommended a probiotic. Purchased that and some more Imodium.

Liked the suggestion about chicken broth AND not to worry about rice for a couple of days (although I will try to avoid that option).

johnrubinstein

Type of diabetes
Type 2
IMG_4686.jpg

@Mike D. All I can say, is you better be **** right about the steak + Imodium remedy! If not, I’m cutting to the chase and implementing @Guzzler’s idea.

PS
At least I can laugh a little. Yesterday I felt like death warmed over.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't take any meds requiring I eat, so if I have tummy bug and don't feel like eating, I just don't eat until I do. I'll keep my electtrolytes up with water, dilutes sugar-free squash, or sugar-free lemonade/Pepsi which has been allowed to go a little flat.

When my tummy settles again, I'll soon be hungry and back to business as usual.

Dark Horse

Avoid milk (or any other product with lactose) as the gut often loses it's ability to produce lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose) during a gut infection. Ingesting lactose during this period can cause the typical symptoms of lactose intolerance - nausea, wind, bloating and diarrhoea. Usually things return to normal after a few days.