High sugar in 1st trimester

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went to the docs on Friday for a "telling off" about my poor effort to control my diabetes since having my daughter 9 months ago. Whilst there I mentioned I sometimes miss a period however was now missing a second and after a test it was confirmed I was pregnant.

Based on dates I am around 11 weeks however my sugars have been out of control for months (purely due to the fact I've not been injecting properly) and my last hba1c a couple of months ago was 8.8 although I'm surprised it was not higher.

I'm hoping to speak to my diabetic antenatal team tomorrow and get seen ASAP but I'm just terrified and have just been sat around waiting for the worst to happen since I found out Friday morning.

I've seen that obviously miscarriage is a huge concern as well as birth defects. What would these birth defects be? Is there anything else that could happen/be wrong?

Reactions: CranberryIce

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Ellie_Wilko
Speaking to your team and getting an early scan is the best thing you can do.
Worrying will not help, and no one here can tell you what is going to happen. Just remember that diabetic women have been having children for years, before there were such reliable tests as we have now.
Hope you get an appointment soon.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Ellie_Wilko
Speaking to your team and getting an early scan is the best thing you can do.
Worrying will not help, and no one here can tell you what is going to happen. Just remember that diabetic women have been having children for years, before there were such reliable tests as we have now.
Hope you get an appointment soon.

This is my 3rd pregnancy and with the other 2 I found out at 4/5 weeks and had at least 2 scans by this time so it's just the fact I'm now so far along and literally have no idea what's going on and whether everything is ok

I can't believe I allowed this to happen and I was so stupid with my diabetes and now it could have such a major impact on everything!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It’s tough keeping on top of it all the time, especially when you have two small people to look after as well as diabetes (that’s like a stroppy toddler in itself).
Fingers crossed you get a scan as soon as possible and all is well.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Congratulations on your pregnancy, try not to worry.
Do keep us updated if you can.
8.8 isn't to bad at all.
Take care

Reactions: jackthejoker

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to the docs on Friday for a "telling off" about my poor effort to control my diabetes since having my daughter 9 months ago. Whilst there I mentioned I sometimes miss a period however was now missing a second and after a test it was confirmed I was pregnant.

Based on dates I am around 11 weeks however my sugars have been out of control for months (purely due to the fact I've not been injecting properly) and my last hba1c a couple of months ago was 8.8 although I'm surprised it was not higher.

I'm hoping to speak to my diabetic antenatal team tomorrow and get seen ASAP but I'm just terrified and have just been sat around waiting for the worst to happen since I found out Friday morning.

I've seen that obviously miscarriage is a huge concern as well as birth defects. What would these birth defects be? Is there anything else that could happen/be wrong?

Congratulations!

I was running high before I knew I was pregnant but quickly managed to get back in range.

Like others have said, the quicker you see your team/ have a scan the better

p.s I am almost 6 months and as awful as this sounds I am looking forward to relaxing my control after baby is born- so completely see why you did! Its hard work trying to stay within the pregnancy targets. x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is my 3rd pregnancy and with the other 2 I found out at 4/5 weeks and had at least 2 scans by this time so it's just the fact I'm now so far along and literally have no idea what's going on and whether everything is ok

I can't believe I allowed this to happen and I was so stupid with my diabetes and now it could have such a major impact on everything!

Hi Ellie,

I hope everything is going well! I just found out that I'm pregnant today and haven't had great control recently either so I know how you feel.

I'd love to hear how you've gotten on, I'm sure everything will be fine xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ellie,

I hope everything is going well! I just found out that I'm pregnant today and haven't had great control recently either so I know how you feel.

I'd love to hear how you've gotten on, I'm sure everything will be fine xx

Ohhh congratulations!

I went for a private scan a couple of weeks ago and turns out I was only 7 and a half weeks rather than the 11 and a half I thought based on dates. Everything was ok and baby had a strong heartbeat.

Went for my scan at epac last week and growth had continued and heartbeat still visible so all ok at the mo!

My hba1c week before last came back at 9.1 so very high but good news I wasn't as far along so that I've got a chance to bring things back under control for as long as possible xx

Reactions: Diakat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ohhh congratulations!

I went for a private scan a couple of weeks ago and turns out I was only 7 and a half weeks rather than the 11 and a half I thought based on dates. Everything was ok and baby had a strong heartbeat.

Went for my scan at epac last week and growth had continued and heartbeat still visible so all ok at the mo!

My hba1c week before last came back at 9.1 so very high but good news I wasn't as far along so that I've got a chance to bring things back under control for as long as possible xx

Thank you :) I'm happy but will feel better once I've spoken to the GP on Monday!

So pleased to hear that things are better than you thought and yes you can definitely get those bloods down! It is comforting to know that someone else in a similar position has had a good outcome :)

Wishing you all the best! xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you :) I'm happy but will feel better once I've spoken to the GP on Monday!

So pleased to hear that things are better than you thought and yes you can definitely get those bloods down! It is comforting to know that someone else in a similar position has had a good outcome :)

Wishing you all the best! xx

And to you! Keep us updated xx

SallyRit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just found out I am in the same boat too! Can't help but worry, even though I know that will do no good!

HBA1C was 9.1 last month - and I reckon I must be about 5 weeks now.