What Have We Here?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad, I would think the easiest and quickest route to solving the food in school issue would be via the school governors. Simply express your concerns to them, or even apply to be a governor yourself. If you wwait until the PPG and Clinical Commissioning Group in your area get on to it your daughter will have already sat her GCSEs.
I appreciate your advice. Right now I am committed to 2 PPG meetings this week and have little scope left for including more “meetings” in an already supersaturated schedule.

I think I said earlier, we are going to “govern” her school meals with packed lunches. Whilst not ideal, at least we can shunt her lunches across the dietary spectrum to a genuinely more healthy place than it appears to be at the minute.

I am not discounting school governors altogether though.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much do you pay for the school lunch @Listlad ?
This is the menu from a local state primary school where a meal costs £2.

Attachments

• caterlink-summer-19-rbwm.pdf
    705.3 KB · Views: 205

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad was this their actual lunch or a separate “treat” as part of a special event?
That was lunch. It was a special event but it was school dinner all the same. But like I say, somehow my daughter is eating carbohydrates in copious quantities for lunch everyday. In this case independent evidence was there in the way of a photograph.

There has been other evidence of a suspect stance on food and diet at the school, that I recall I posted in the past....

Fairtrade Foods

B9409961-AC46-4594-A32C-EAB6ECB494C8.jpeg

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How much do you pay for the school lunch @Listlad ?
This is the menu from a local state primary school where a meal costs £2.
On paper the school menu looks good. It doesn’t reflect what she actually seems to have.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s an organisation that is tackling the breakfast club mentality at schools @Goonergal can you remember them from the conference? And what was the sugar blokes name?
I think the breakfast club “mentality” is the same at our school.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, if you do not tackle this whilst your daughter is at that school, when you do get around to it, the likely reaction is "wehat's rattled his cage? He was silent whilst litte X was a pupil here.", and likely forgotten about.

In my view these things have to be tackled when you have skin in the ring.

PPG or family? I know where I would be focusing.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I appreciate your advice. Right now I am committed to 2 PPG meetings this week and have little scope left for including more “meeting” in an already supersaturated schedule.
Fair enough. We all have to choose our battles. Just thought better chance of effecting change would come through a direct approach at the school. Your daughter will benefit from you making her lunches. The other kids won’t fare so well.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We don’t at the moment. It is free until she is a bit older.
What I meant was how much do they charge for a lunch, I realize the younger ones get it free. If they charge £2 as my example then it should be a proper cooked meal not a roll and crisps.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fair enough. We all have to choose our battles. Just thought better chance of effecting change would come through a direct approach at the school. Your daughter will benefit from you making her lunches. The other kids won’t fare so well.
Yes, and what the other kids eat is another battle. I think that in the case of some parents they will not see anything wrong in the school food on offer.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What I meant was how much do they charge for a lunch, I realize the younger ones get it free. If they charge £2 as my example then it should be a proper cooked meal not a roll and crisps.
Normally they get a cooked meal, but my daughter tells me she has pizza, chips and cake - and I don’t think she is trying to wind me up either :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, if you do not tackle this whilst your daughter is at that school, when you do get around to it, the likely reaction is "wehat's rattled his cage? He was silent whilst litte X was a pupil here.", and likely forgotten about.

In my view these things have to be tackled when you have skin in the ring.

PPG or family? I know where I would be focusing.
Of course. Like I said, we will give her a suitable packed lunch commencing tout suite. I think that should stop the rot with immediate effect. Your future scenario where family is concerned will therefore not happen :)

Any route in to such solutions can be a good one. The forum here is great too. But there are advantages and disadvantages to any of them. Take the forum, one does have to separate out the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited: