Wrong insulin by mistake

Tubbycatsmum_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m on Abasaglar (12u morning & 15u night). Take 1u humalog per 10g carbs.
At tea time should’ve taken 7u of humalog but gave 7u of abasaglar by mistake. Didn’t take any rapid acting with my tea.
Not sure what to do about my night time abasaglar. Should I omit it or just take the 8u.
I’m guessing it would’ve been more problematic if I’d have given the wrong amount of rapid acting?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, you've already had 7 units, so take the remaining 8 at your usual time and back to normal tomorrow :) You'll probably won't even notice the difference in your bg. You might go a bit high in the next couple of hours because you didn't take your humalog for your meal. No worries, tomorrow's a new day!
I’m guessing it would’ve been more problematic if I’d have given the wrong amount of rapid acting?
Yup, take care not to make that mistake! Many of us keep their pens in different places to avoid mix ups. Did that once and it wasn't fun. (I was safe, but it involved waking up a neighbour to sit with me through the night)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Tubbycatsmum_ I reckon you're ok with this and there isn't much to worry about.

Timing of slow, basal insulins like abasaglar which take care of background insulin requirements isn't critically important, there's a fair bit of leeway with them, mainly because they operate slowly over hours and hours, so you'll be fine just taking the 8u at your normal time so that and the earlier 7u will add up to 15 ok.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep monitoring your blood sugars to.
We all make mistakes and learn by it.
Take care

Tubbycatsmum_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. Coming up to my 1 year anniversary of starting insulin & this is my first oops moment. Good advice to keep them separate. Was busy sorting kids out and got distracted.

Reactions: Antje77