After some advice

StaceyEmma

Ok so a bit of background. I’m 4 weeks into my T-1 diagnosis been off work 6 weeks GP was starting me on glicazamide (SP?) As at the time I was under a T-2 diagnosis and due to me generally suffering badly from side effect of any and all medication I get started on we came to the decision to have me off while we started on the new drugs.
I’m still not really mentally adjusting to the new diagnosis still extremely weepy although good at hiding it from family and my current sick note is due to expire tomorrow. Which isn’t helping my anxiety levels. Although I only work in a call centre it is still shifts obviously while I’ve been off I’ve got my body into a pretty regular routine for eating as previously didn’t eat lunch unless off work. If I’m not due to finish till 8 plus risk of being stuck on a call I’m at extremely high risk of hypo as I generally eat my evening meal at 6 by which point I’m ready for it normally between 4/5mmol.
I’ve had a few very lows but not quiet hypos I’ve had one hypo and a heck of a lot of highs.

So the advice I’m really looking for is do I get another extension to my sick note until I can get in to see my regular GP or just risk going back to full time hours with no restrictions around working hours?

StaceyEmma

HMMM Tricky one although I have never worked in a call centre I am aware of how full they can be.

I would be open and honest about your diabetes with your work, you cant be the only diabetic to work there plus they may decide to gradually build you back up to full time. Can't say more than that because everywhere is different but your in the work place so they, I think, must have a duty of care for all their staff.
You must at some point get a lunch break, if they don't have a canteen then home made butties should do the trick.
Keep some hypo treatment close by and again be open an honest with your work colleges sometimes they can very supportive and helpful.

While T1 is a PITA it is manageable, it just requires a little bit of thought about it.

As for going back to work, well that really is down to you but if it was me I would just get it over and done with.

Hope it all works out.

Take care :)

I plan on keeping a slab of 18 cans of full fat coke under my desk when I go back and always have glucose tabs on me regardless of where I am. Need to get some digestives for at my desk too.

Can’t really break down in tears on the phone which is what is making me think I’m not ready as I’m breaking down all the time which is not a great look/feeling.

What is PITA?

Reactions: Knikki

StaceyEmma

I would see my Dr

I’ve been trying all week to get in to see one any one as mine is on holiday but keep getting told try again tomorrow. Last chance to try tomorrow and I’m not going to take no as an answer coz I need some advice on what to do

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been trying all week to get in to see one any one as mine is on holiday but keep getting told try again tomorrow. Last chance to try tomorrow and I’m not going to take no as an answer coz I need some advice on what to do

Whilst I sympathose with the receptionists you are speaking to, it is important you explain your current sicknote is due to expire and you feel you are really not well enough to return to work yet.

One would hope in that instance you would be able to see smeon or they would call you?

Was your current sick note issued by your GP or a hospital? If it was your G, there should be notes made at the point of issue to justify it, so they would be the starting point for anyone else you were consulting.

StaceyEmma

Hello again

Sorry about that I though PITA was universal :hilarious:

Sounds like you already have things planed out which is certainly a big step forward :)

But yes bursting into tears would be a bit of an issue on the phone.

However what I am about to say feel free to tell me "to stuff off as I have no idea what I'm talking about"

In your original post you say you are hiding it from your family my question is why?

While running high is relatively easy to hide at some point you will get hit with a hypo, unfortunately it is just one of those things that happens. In times like that your family could be your only means of help and if they have no idea your a T1 then it could really spell trouble. I have been T1 for more than 50 years (god I sound old) and a couple of times friends, family and Mrs Knikki have been there to help and really has been a god send especially if you have a bad hypo.

T1 is just one of those things that happen to some people, you have an anomaly in your genes, like me, which has triggered your immune system to kick off, like me, kick the living daylights you your pancreas, like me and so you now have to do its job, like me. However I dont hide the fact I'm diabetic, its just who I am having grownup with it, does not sop me doing anyhing.

Many T1 get misdiagnosed as T2 and usually, but could be wrong on this, when not responding o treatment get reassessed and become a T1 but thats just a bad hand at cards and not a lot you can do about it :(

I hope you get to see your Dr soon and sort you anxiety out :)

Like I said at the beginning if you think I have over stepped the mark then please feel free to tell me to suff off.

Take care :)

Actually I'll tag a couple of others in who also developed T1 in adulthood, they may also have some pearls of wisdom, @helensaramay @Mel dCP @Robinredbreast

I’m not hiding the diagnosis from my family just the bursting into tears and my low mood. It’s pretty hard to hide those big yellow sharps bins anywhere!
My mam trains basic diabetic care for elderly care home settings her first thing she said is can I have your empty pens for training.

Reactions: 1spuds and Knikki

StaceyEmma

Whilst I sympathose with the receptionists you are speaking to, it is important you explain your current sicknote is due to expire and you feel you are really not well enough to return to work yet.

One would hope in that instance you would be able to see smeon or they would call you?

Was your current sick note issued by your GP or a hospital? If it was your G, there should be notes made at the point of issue to justify it, so they would be the starting point for anyone else you were consulting.

I know how busy out surgery is so I completely see where the receptionist is coming from too.
My current one was issued by my GP I’m going to go down the surgery in purpose in the morning to see about having it extended hopefully for pick up by mid afternoon if not there and then.

StaceyEmma

Im sorry I guess, I just jumped to the wrong conclusion.

HMMM yep those bins stand out a mile.

It’s ok I probably didn’t write it very clearly to start with. The family are being supportive and as helpful as they can be. Even gone through the very basics with my 8 yr old nephew (just in case).

But such a major life change just weeks before a milestone birthday on top of preexisting depression and anxiety just toppled me over the edge I am constantly on the verge of tears if not already have them streaming down my face. I’m not normally one for sharing my emotions or emotional state with anyone but need help.

StaceyEmma

@StaceyEmma Well if I was close enough I would give you a big HUG!

My best mate, also a girl, has gone through depression and some really upsetting times, so I sort of have an idea what your going through.

Unfortunately I am just one of hose annoying people who always try to see the good side of things :)

Take care.

Thanks Knikki a hug would be very appreciated.
I ended up randomly ending up at my friends this afternoon not even knowing she was in just for a hug.

Reactions: 1spuds
D

Deleted Account

Regarding your question on when to go back to work, now you know but at some stage, you will need to return to work so I would talk to your manager and human resource representative about the bst way to ease you back to work.
Your comment about hyping because you work through your normal meal time suggests your insulin regime needs to be reviewed. Are you on fixed dose or do you inject when you eat? A basal bolus insulin regime (injecting fast acting insulin when you eat and slow acting insulin once or twice a day) should mean the time of day you eat does not matter.
If you inject fixed doses, I would recommend talking to your doctor because you should not have to eat to your insulin dose.

StaceyEmma

Regarding your question on when to go back to work, now you know but at some stage, you will need to return to work so I would talk to your manager and human resource representative about the bst way to ease you back to work.
Your comment about hyping because you work through your normal meal time suggests your insulin regime needs to be reviewed. Are you on fixed dose or do you inject when you eat? A basal bolus insulin regime (injecting fast acting insulin when you eat and slow acting insulin once or twice a day) should mean the time of day you eat does not matter.
If you inject fixed doses, I would recommend talking to your doctor because you should not have to eat to your insulin dose.

I’m on both. Deguldec once a day and novo rapid each meal time but both are on set units for the moment I am still in the honeymoon period and producing my own insulin as well as injecting. I’ve not had any courses yet or advice about carb counting for insulin ratios.

I am only 4 weeks into a correct diagnosis so everything is still new and scary as I don’t like not being in control of my own body.

D

Deleted Account

@StaceyEmma in that case, if you hypo if you have too long between meals, it suggests to me your Duguldec dose is too high because slow acting insulin is usually fixed to keep your BG stable through the day.
I would recommend discussing adjusting your dose with your diabetes team.
You mention a GP appointment. With type 1 you should have a dedicated diabetes team with a DSN. If you do not have one, I would demand your GP surgery arranges an appointment with a hospital based team as soon as possible.

StaceyEmma

@StaceyEmma in that case, if you hypo if you have too long between meals, it suggests to me your Duguldec dose is too high because slow acting insulin is usually fixed to keep your BG stable through the day.
I would recommend discussing adjusting your dose with your diabetes team.
You mention a GP appointment. With type 1 you should have a dedicated diabetes team with a DSN. If you do not have one, I would demand your GP surgery arranges an appointment with a hospital based team as soon as possible.

I’ve been sent to the hospital team but they don’t want to see me back for a few months. I had an initial face to face and a phone conversation a week later but that is it.

StaceyEmma

Well I tried to talk to my dad about my mental state post diagnosis but that didn’t help. He basically said that there’s nothing I can do to change it stop feeling sorry for myself and get back to work.
I have managed to get a GP appointment for 12:20 for medical advice on going back or not.

StaceyEmma

Further update. Signed off for another two weeks with plans for a phased return starting from the 15th. Spoke to my manager and she’s putting in referrals to occupational health and another team for mental well-being she’s concerned that I might really struggle going back with being off for a while but she understands that I’m not ready yet and is trying to find every means of getting me back safely

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Further update. Signed off for another two weeks with plans for a phased return starting from the 15th. Spoke to my manager and she’s putting in referrals to occupational health and another team for mental well-being she’s concerned that I might really struggle going back with being off for a while but she understands that I’m not ready yet and is trying to find every means of getting me back safely

I'm so glad you got sorted and have a bit more time on this.

Now, I'm not T1, so some things are easy for me to say, but maybe you have to do a little experimenting, in terms of eating later (as if your luch was delayed) for example, so that you think sbout what you actually need to do to cope with it.

Reactions: StaceyEmma

StaceyEmma

I'm so glad you got sorted and have a bit more time on this.

Now, I'm not T1, so some things are easy for me to say, but maybe you have to do a little experimenting, in terms of eating later (as if your luch was delayed) for example, so that you think sbout what you actually need to do to cope with it.

Today’s lunch was delayed with going to the drs and popping into work to discuss things with my manager but due to getting up a bit later than I would usually worked out ok for meal time gaps.
I was 13.5 before leaving the house and 5.2 just now before eating lunch which is only 2 hours between