urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
But we’re assuming there that those people who see it, then read on and further into it. I hope this is the case but, from comments I’ve had from people about my diabetes, it’s not always the case which is a massive shame.

Agree, many people know very little beyond the headlines. Tbh unless you or someone you know has it the level of interest is probably quite low for most people I think that’s exactly the problem the week is trying to address. Like you say it would be interesting to see who and in what depth the additional efforts reach.

I didn't get T1 diabetes until the age of 54. I openly admit that I knew nothing about the condition before this point. Why would I bother learning about a condition that didn't affect me.

How much do you know about heart disease, cancer, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and a host of other conditions?

Surely, the only people who spend time learning about illnesses that neither they or their friends and relatives are affected by are doctors?

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much do you know about heart disease, cancer, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, and a host of other conditions?

Very true, not many people would unless they had it or someone they knew did, very similar to diabetes.

Imagine if people made jokes about any of those though, like they do for diabetes? there would be outrage. Diabetes doesn't get the same courtesy - although as i said before i like a good diabetes joke and generally don't take offence, you have to see the funny side sometimes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It actually scares me how often I get follow requests on Instagram from spam accounts like “reverse diabetes now” “Type2 Cure” - I just feel grateful that I’ve had good enough advice and education from my diabetes care team to know those things are a load of rubbish. But if it was a child who’d just been diagnosed? They could easily get drawn into those accounts and it could have a really bad effect on them.

I think similar things apply to other conditions though, like the Big C. Of course, the prospect of being diagnosed with such a thing is very scarey indeed, but we don't all join queues to find out all about bowel/breast/skin cancer. We scan read at best and get on with our lives.

Certain types of cancer are of course very treatable, and some can be cured or put into long term remission. Some, of course are much trickier. I would never want to run down that something
That link doesn’t seem to work!

Ah, I can see why. Try this one: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/diabetes-week-10th-16th-june.164077/

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very true, not many people would unless they had it or someone they knew did, very similar to diabetes.

Imagine if people made jokes about any of those though, like they do for diabetes? there would be outrage. Diabetes doesn't get the same courtesy - although as i said before i like a good diabetes joke and generally don't take offence, you have to see the funny side sometimes.
I must be around some really dull people as I don’t hear diabetes jokes. Insulting assumptions about type 2 but not jokes about any type.

Reactions: BeckiDover

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I must be around some really dull people as I don’t hear diabetes jokes. Insulting assumptions about type 2 but not jokes about any type.

Atleast I take them as jokes as I presume they’re not, umm, “silly” enough to actually think my immune system attacked the insulin producing cells in my pancreas, all because I ate loads of cake one year :) I was actually eating cake once in the office for a colleagues bday and another colleague (seriously) asked me why I could eat cake today? And that because of that I have a terrible diet and no wonder I have diabetes.

It’s crazy these things actually happen in 2019!!

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Atleast I take them as jokes as I presume they’re not, umm, “silly” enough to actually think my immune system attacked the insulin producing cells in my pancreas, all because I ate loads of cake one year :) I was actually eating cake once in the office for a colleagues bday and another colleague (seriously) asked me why I could eat cake today? And that because of that I have a terrible diet and no wonder I have diabetes.

Just gonna leave this here..

y3muc5h8el231.jpg

Credit

Reactions: BeckiDover

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That’s what a type 2 gets every single day too, except it’s even harder to convince them that’s it’s not just about cake as we don’t have the autoimmune explanations, just genetics and appalling official dietary advice. Also it’s probably right that we shouldn’t really eat it now (or only very rarely) if we want good control. I get told why don’t I just inject so I can eat it. Errr because I don’t use insulin!

The differences are there between types and I often wish the two conditions had different names entirely to help minimise the misconceptions both ways round.

Apparently type 1 is the “real” diabetes. Type 2 is obviously for fun :banghead:

Yep it is 2019, I checked, and yep people are that “silly” to believe it

Love this! Fair to say they now know I can eat cake, or whatever I like for that matter, whenever I like.
God I wish I could

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The differences are there between types and I often wish the two conditions had different names entirely to help minimise the misconceptions both ways round.
Apparently type 1 is the “real” diabetes. Type 2 is obviously for fun :banghead:

I actually had a very similar conversation with my mum and my endocrinologist at my last appointment.
I've heard that 'real diabetes' phrase before and i think it's so unfair to type 2's. If anything, i feel type 2 would be more difficult to manage and there's so many more reasons why you develop it than just diet and lifestyle. I've heard some horrible stories as well of type 2's not getting the care they should as well which is always disappointing to hear.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I inject at my desk at work in full view of colleagues and often spend part of my lunch period logged in to this site. I make no attempt to hide my condition and I've never heard anyone making jokes about it.

If you know any good ones I'd like to hear them.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Here's a couple of jokes @urbanracer
A diabetic dies and goes to heaven

“Welcome to Heaven,” says St. Peter.

“Thank you,” says the diabetic. “It’s about time. What took you so long?”

“What do you mean what took us so long?” asks St. Peter.

“I mean I’m 360 years old! What took you so long?”

“360? That’s impossible!” says St. Peter. “According to our records, you’re only 82.”

“Yeah? Check again,” answers the diabetic.

St. Peter punches some keys on his keyboard, furrows his brow, then brightens.

“You’re right,” he says. “I see what happened. We calculated your age based on the number of times you changed lancets.”

What city has the most diabetics ?
Needles, California.

BeckiDover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I inject at my desk at work in full view of colleagues and often spend part of my lunch period logged in to this site. I make no attempt to hide my condition and I've never heard anyone making jokes about it.

If you know any good ones I'd like to hear them.

I admire your confidence with injections, I do mine at my desk but not so anyone can see. I have done injections in restaurants before but not with anyone near, I always feel a bit unhygienic to do it around where people eat food (weirdly). Personal feeling about it though obviously.

I’m amazed you’ve never heard the “mark has 40 slices of cake, he eats 38, what does he have now? Diabetes” joke that I’ve often heard and seen on cards. And “I don’t eat McDonald’s because I don’t want diabetes” once said TO me.

And another that I’m not sure if this was meant as a joke or a compliment by the person but they told me I wasn’t diabetic because I was too skinny?