Fish stocks threatened by Climate Change

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, so we gorge ourselves on shrimps and prawns....

Yes, but they taste of the sea! And we usually eat them peeled. I gather that in native Chinese cuisine (for example) they tend to go crunchy, in some cases! I remember seeing a tv programme about their street food snacks and a rather smart Chinese chef pointed out that theirs has been a famine-based cuisine culture - in which case anything’s fair game (including game, no doubt!)

I’m envisaging someone in the UK coming up with an entrepreneurial business, using up roadkill and marketing it as a luxury food commodity. Just hope they think to anti-bac the poor, dead beastie first!!

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To get back on topic, I envisage we will soon be seeing severe curbs on fishing quotas, more Marine preservation areas, and return to the Icelandic Cod Wars. Unfortunately attempts to farm fish have been shown to be detrimental to the environment, so that is not a viable solution to the problem. Cessation of demand to preserve stocks will be next IMO.
There have been attempts to revitalise fish stocks and improve the environment simultaneously, by attempting to mimic native coral, attract fish, and stimulate coral regeneration.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, but they taste of the sea! And we usually eat them peeled. I gather that in native Chinese cuisine (for example) they tend to go crunchy, in some cases! I remember seeing a tv programme about their street food snacks and a rather smart Chinese chef pointed out that theirs has been a famine-based cuisine culture - in which case anything’s fair game (including name, no doubt!)

I’m envisaging someone in the UK coming up with an entrepreneurial business, using up roadkill and marketing it as a luxury food commodity. Just hope they think to anti-bac the poor, dead beastie first!!
Crunchy Frogs? Gannet on a stick? How portentious of Monty Python.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There have been attempts to revitalise fish stocks and improve the environment simultaneously, by attempting to mimic native coral, attract fish, and stimulate coral regeneration.
Admirable work indeed, but fish lurking in coral reefs is unlikely to feed the world. I think the atticle is more along the lines of fish & chips i.e. cod, haddock, plaice, tuna et al. Once they have been depleted, then what? Basa, grouper, dogfish, catfish, shark, whale - then what? Dolphin? turtle? whose next?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Crunchy Frogs? Gannet on a stick? How portentious of Monty Python.
8C813340-507A-4FAA-B09E-866F0247975D.jpeg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Admirable work indeed, but fish lurking in coral reefs is unlikely to feed the world. I think the atticle is more along the lines of fish & chips i.e. cod, haddock, plaice, tuna et al. Once they have been depleted, then what? Basa, grouper, dogfish, catfish, shark, whale - then what? Dolphin? turtle? whose next?
Coral reef underpins one or some of the richest sources of seafood in the world to millions and millions of people.

Often called "rainforests of the sea", shallow coral reefs form some of Earth's most diverse ecosystems. They occupy less than 0.1% of the world's ocean area, about half the area of France, yet they provide a home for at least 25% of all marine species.

Not everyone eats fish in the form of fish and chips.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Coral reef underpins one or some of the richest sources of seafood in the world to millions and millions of people.

Often called "rainforests of the sea", shallow coral reefs form some of Earth's most diverse ecosystems. They occupy less than 0.1% of the world's ocean area, about half the area of France, yet they provide a home for at least 25% of all marine species.

Not everyone eats fish in the form of fish and chips.
Not for much longer. Bleaching is killing the reefs.

D

Deleted member 308541

Still plenty of GBR still left even with bleaching and the heavier damage done by the Crown of Thorn starfish.

Parts of the GBR are regenerating from bleaching just takesa little longer.

GBR zoning maps.

https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/coasts-waterways/marine-parks/zoning

Plenty of reef fish caught off the southern end of the GBR off of Bundaberg, a couple of catches a young bloke at the bowls club got a while back.

e9DzYQi.jpg

niuU2xO.jpg

xDqo80d.jpg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Still plenty of GBR still left even with bleaching and the heavier damage done by the Crown of Thorn starfish.

Parts of the GBR are regenerating from bleaching just takesa little longer.

GBR zoning maps.

https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/coasts-waterways/marine-parks/zoning

Plenty of reef fish caught off the southern end of the GBR off of Bundaberg, a couple of catches a young bloke at the bowls club got a while back.

e9DzYQi.jpg

niuU2xO.jpg

xDqo80d.jpg
Presumably the Chinese haven’t been down that far using dynamite (and cyanide) fishing techniques ?

D

Deleted member 308541

Presumably the Chinese haven’t been down that far using dynamite (and cyanide) fishing techniques ?
It's not the Chinese, but Indonesians that are renown for that in Northern Australia.

A local trawler company (Mandarin Trawlers) is owned by the Chinese, so they would not be fouling their own nest doing that.

Jappons illegal fishing in protected zones or territorial waters are as bad.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
We make the stupid mistake in exporting our prime fish to Asian markets all too keen to get it. Dumb as it establishes an ecological imbalance.

Reactions: freew8t