Miao Miao - help please!

Elizabeth_D

Hello, I've just joined the forum on behalf of my Dad, who is a well-controlled type 1 diabetic, but is not used to using forums such as these!

My mum died recently and I am worried about his blood glucose overnight, even though he is well-controlled and so he bought a Miao Miao, has downloaded the Spike app on his iPhone 5, but it is not clear at all how it works and only very basic instructions came with the device. We're both a bit stumped.

I googled Spike and I read that Apple no longer supports it. Is that right? Is there another IOS app he could use? He would be willing to buy an Android smart phone and install either XDrip+ or Glimp and just keep that phone near to his bed and not use it for anything else. Does anyone know if a Samsung A10 will support either XDrip or Glimp? Thank you in advance for any help.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello, I've just joined the forum on behalf of my Dad, who is a well-controlled type 1 diabetic, but is not used to using forums such as these!

My mum died recently and I am worried about his blood glucose overnight, even though he is well-controlled and so he bought a Miao Miao, has downloaded the Spike app on his iPhone 5, but it is not clear at all how it works and only very basic instructions came with the device. We're both a bit stumped.

I googled Spike and I read that Apple no longer supports it. Is that right? Is there another IOS app he could use? He would be willing to buy an Android smart phone and install either XDrip+ or Glimp and just keep that phone near to his bed and not use it for anything else. Does anyone know if a Samsung A10 will support either XDrip or Glimp? Thank you in advance for any help.
Hi, welcome to the forum!

A couple of questions, if you’ll indulge me? How did he download the Spike app? Via the App Store or through spike-app.com, using a PC? I need to be sure I’m advising you on the right thing here.

In the meantime, there is a very basic app in the App Store called “Tomato” - this is the native MiaoMiao app, very basic, but just the job - especially if your dad isn’t very technically minded.

Reactions: porl69

Elizabeth_D

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
He downloaded Spike through the App store. Should he have used his computer instead?
Dad isn't very technically minded (neither am I really!) but will let him know about Tomato. I saw it on the Miao Miao website but didn't suggest it to Dad because I thought initially that Spike was the right app. Thank you :) Elizabeth

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Right, no wonder it won’t work. Does it look like this?

237D4DEE-843D-403D-BBFC-B64209B52507.jpeg

Somebody has created this app using the Spike name, to try and harvest customers, it’s just for logging bg levels. Might be good, but it doesn’t collect data from the MiaoMiao. The proper one isn’t available in the App Store at all.

You need to go to spike-app.com and have a read through the FAQs, you’ll need a computer to side-load it onto your phone, there are very detailed instructions. It has to be updated once a week. They are working on a simpler install method, but this one is just keeping us going until they do, since Apple revoked their certificate.

Or if he wants to keep it simple, try Tomato.

Elizabeth_D

Yes, it looks like that! Doh! Silly me. So I think I'll say to dad to keep things simple and use Tomato instead. Or we might be brave and try Spike instead. Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it. Elizabeth

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If he wants to go down the Spike route, I’m happy to help get him set up, but it may be more sophisticated than he actually wants - if all he wants is a data collection app, Tomato does the job. Maybe get that, and use it for a bit - and if he decides he wants more, get in touch? Spike is very powerful, but also quite complicated if you want to use all the features.

Elizabeth_D

Hi! Sorry for not giving you the whole story... He got the miao miao to warn him if his BG gets too low during the night so it is not for data collection. He has a Free Style Libre gadget. Does Tomato do the warning if BG is too low (or high). Thank you for your extremely kind offer of help. I'll speak to dad and see what we think - he might actually just want a separate phone for the miao miao to keep by his bedside. Again, many thanks, you're very kind.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi! Sorry for not giving you the whole story... He got the miao miao to warn him if his BG gets too low during the night so it is not for data collection. He has a Free Style Libre gadget. Does Tomato do the warning if BG is too low (or high). Thank you for your extremely kind offer of help. I'll speak to dad and see what we think - he might actually just want a separate phone for the miao miao to keep by his bedside. Again, many thanks, you're very kind.
By data collecting, I meant getting the numbers from the MiaoMiao - Sorry, I tend to use sciencey terms, being a biology teacher! Tomato does have alarms, it’s just basic.

Elizabeth_D

Ah, I see! I'm an editor and definitely not sciencey! Or techie!
Thank you so much. Think I'll suggest the Tomato app and see how it goes. :)

Elizabeth_D

Hello Mel,
Hope you're well.
I have installed the tomato app on dad's phone and we are wondering if there is a way to change US blood glucose to British. Or perhaps there is a conversion chart you know of? Thanks, Elizabeth

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello, sorry for being a pain...have found a conversion chart.
Go to the profile page (little person icon, bottom right of the home screen) and then press the settings cog in the tip right corner - you can the units from there.