closed looping

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Hi, is anyone closed looping from the UK in the forum at all? I have a hospital appointment tomorrow morning with my consultant and as of yet they do not know that I have been looping for the past several month.

I have printed all relevant documents and charts off for him to view and I can give him my Nightscout web page for him to view if needed, but just wondering if anyone here has been to see their own consultant and what they said about using this form of treatment

Reactions: EllieM

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m planning to loop as soon as my RileyLink arrives, I’ve built the app and am all set to go!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I’m planning to loop as soon as my RileyLink arrives, I’ve built the app and am all set to go!
@Mel dCP you could have used AndriodAPS, I,m using the libre, Miao Miao and the Andriod APS app.

The Consultant at the hospital was really happy with me doing this and was very interested in how it works etc, I am the only closed looper they have seen in clinic, HbA1c is still stuck at 46 but I'm happy with that

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP you could have used AndriodAPS, I,m using the libre, Miao Miao and the Andriod APS app.

The Consultant at the hospital was really happy with me doing this and was very interested in how it works etc, I am the only closed looper they have seen in clinic, HbA1c is still stuck at 46 but I'm happy with that
I could have, but then I’d have needed to change to a tubed pump, switch to Android, and all my tech is Apple anyway :)

Well done on your appointment today, I’m seeing my consultant at the end of August, so hope I’ll have some good results to show him. I’m hoping to maintain my 37-40 HbA1c but with a lot less effort.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Mel dCP I will be very impressed if you maintain your A1c with your new job due to the driving and shiftwork.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP I will be very impressed if you maintain your A1c with your new job due to the driving and shiftwork.
Well it went up to 40 from 37 when I went from not working at all to working as a teacher full time + volunteering, so I’m hoping it’ll be ok. We shall see! The night shifts I’ve done didn’t cause any bother, I’ll do a few more over the school holidays to see if I need to set up a new pump profile for shifts, but with my very low carb intake, I’m hoping the Loop will manage things well. Fingers crossed! It’s a bitg reason I’m giving it a go.

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my 8 year old daughter has been closed loop with Android APS for the past few months. We had clinic a couple of weeks ago and went with a different pump than issued and looping! They took it incredibly well and are very supportive.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Apologies @Gaz-M - only saw this today. Pleased to hear your appointment went well. Based on the survey we undertook last month, it would seem that most people find their clinics to be reasonable or better with them using DIY closed loops, so I'm pleased to hear that your consultant fits that mould.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Apologies @Gaz-M - only saw this today. Pleased to hear your appointment went well. Based on the survey we undertook last month, it would seem that most people find their clinics to be reasonable or better with them using DIY closed loops, so I'm pleased to hear that your consultant fits that mould.
@tim2000s thank you :woot:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My RileyLink has just arrived and I’m stuck in A&E with a toenail hanging off...

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have a good route to utilise Xdrip or HAPP, or something else to dial in your I/C ratio? Like an autotune mode where you plug in your carb intake, insulin bolus and it looks at instances where after your BG didn't return back to wherever your BG started after all carb absorbtion/insulin activity stops. Then suggests a new more effective I/C ratio.

I have a general ratio that kinda does the trick but it would be good to have some software support in both improving that ratio AM to PM but also finding a more accurate ratio for after sports, or when ill etc.

Sure I can do this manually, and I've just installed HAPP to see if it's possible with that software layer but it seems to only concentrate on basal adjustments as it's looking at dialling in an open loop which isn't what I'm looking for.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sideburnt Do you have a NightScout website? If so you may be able use AutotuneWeb to help analyse basal rate, I:C ratio & insulin sensitivity.
You do need to have entered lots of data into the Nightscout Care Portal though.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sideburnt Do you have a NightScout website? If so you may be able use AutotuneWeb to help analyse basal rate, I:C ratio & insulin sensitivity.
You do need to have entered lots of data into the Nightscout Care Portal though.
Much appreciated, I've set myself up and backfilled data from Xdrip+ for a month.

I don't know if it's me but the generated report is a little off, the recommended basal suggestions are all 10-15% lower than what I've set, even through periods where I'm looking to avoid peaks as opposed to lows. The same with the suggested I/C ratio, I'm finding that I'm peaking after meals and that my usual does of 1u to 7g is almost needing to be doubled over the last 30 days. Yes it;s asking me to lower the ratio to 1u for 9g. Even with confirming all carb intake is dosed. Odd, maybe it just needs more data.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Does anyone consider having less carbs per meal so that there are less high peaks that you are expecting the algorithims to handle?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well I’ve been Looping for five whole hours now... system seems to be doing exactly what it should - adjusting basals to nudge my levels to where they should be.

Had a bit of a low mid afternoon as I wasn’t able to retrospectively add my lunchtime carbs and IOB, but I was expecting that and treated with glucose - it took care of the temp basal I’d usually apply in the same situation. Be interesting to see what the rest of the day brings!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s interesting to read - I’m working on the assumption that’s it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission :D

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been looping for a few months now @Gaz-M. Had my consultant visit a couple of weeks ago and couldn't have gone any better. Showed my results and she said "we need more people on this!". She's asked me to come and do a talk on it to both other consultants and patients!

Reactions: CathP