Heart Palpitations

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
While we are on the subject of hypochondria...

Were we? you ask.

Well, no. I was just reminding myself that I'm probably just being hypochondriac again.

Anyway, I digress.

I'm sitting here with annoying heart palpitations tonight. I've had them for years. Probably anxiety. Probably not heart disease, right?
But since pregnancy and birth and low carbing, there are days when they are more frequent. Does anyone have a quick fix?
Am I dehydrated? Is it low blood pressure from low carbing?
Should I drink a salty miso soup?

Take a Magnesium perhaps?

Maybe a chill pill (valerian root for me).

Wait, I know!

All of the above.:wacky:

Reactions: Serena51

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Were we? you ask.

Well, no. I was just reminding myself that I'm probably just being hypochondriac again.

Anyway, I digress.

I'm sitting here with annoying heart palpitations tonight. I've had them for years. Probably anxiety. Probably not heart disease, right?
But since pregnancy and birth and low carbing, there are days when they are more frequent. Does anyone have a quick fix?

Wait, I know!

If it's wpw syndrome there's not much you can do that'll make a difference, but wait for it to pass. Even getting it diagnosed is difficult, unless you're hooked up to a heart monitor when it happens, like I was, and what's the chances of that?
Check out this link and see if you recognise anything https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...n-white-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20354626

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Most folks get a Holter monitor test which records any palpitations which may occur during the time worn, usually one day, or three if palpitations are less frequent. Analysis of the recordings can ofter pinpoint the cause and enable a suitable remedy to be implemented
Dr Phinney on youtube , Nutritional Ketosis, Ketoadaption explains that low insulin levels as may occur on low carb diets can lead to increased salt loss and the need to increase intake of sodium, potassium and magnesium salts.
Low magnesium and potassium levels in the body can lead to irregularities in heartbeat. see mayoclinic.org on this.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's wpw syndrome there's not much you can do that'll make a difference, but wait for it to pass. Even getting it diagnosed is difficult, unless you're hooked up to a heart monitor when it happens, like I was, and what's the chances of that?
Check out this link and see if you recognise anything https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...n-white-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20354626
Thanks! Interesting. Would I remember the palpitations from childhood too if I'd had it from birth? I can only seem to remember them from adulthood.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Most folks get a Holter monitor test which records any palpitations which may occur during the time worn, usually one day, or three if palpitations are less frequent. Analysis of the recordings can ofter pinpoint the cause and enable a suitable remedy to be implemented
Dr Phinney on youtube , Nutritional Ketosis, Ketoadaption explains that low insulin levels as may occur on low carb diets can lead to increased salt loss and the need to increase intake of sodium, potassium and magnesium salts.
Low magnesium and potassium levels in the body can lead to irregularities in heartbeat. see mayoclinic.org on this.
Yes, I have read about needing to increae salt and magnesium if you aren't eating so much fibre because you won't retain fluids as well. I think my potassium levels were fine from the blood test the other day.
I'll try the salty miso soup thing again. I feel it may help a little.
I have asked doctors about the flip flop feelings in my heart over the years and all of them dismiss it as probable anxiety.

I know I haven't got the balance in my diet quite right yet too so that probably isn't helping.

Reactions: kitedoc

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you drink caffeinated drinks at all? Just a consideration from my own experience. I was suffering with horrible palpitations a couple of months ago. A 72 hour ECG showed that I had developed an Ectopic heart beat. Having had some experience of caffeine related Ectopic heart beats a few years ago, I wondered if caffeine could be the cause this time as I had increased my consumption of beverages to avert dehydration except I only drink decaf tea and coffee. As an experiment I decided to change to water and sure enough over the following days the palpitations gradually ceased. I wasn't aware that decaf beverages contain some caffeine, that along with the increased liquid consumption must have been sufficient to create a sensitivity in me.

Shirley N.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to walk in the Dales any more. Not being able to eat some of my favourite foods any more.

Were we? you ask.

Anyway, I digress.

Wait, I know!

Until you know what your heart arrhythmia is, it is impossible to find the cause of your palpitations and work out the best treatment. See your GP, who can listen to your heart, arrange any necessary tests and take it from there. You will have been checked when you were pregnant and during delivery so it is unlikely to be anything serious, but, especially if you are worried, you should get it checked out. Your good health is all the more important now you have a child to care for.

Reactions: EllieM

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
According to doctors i have questuioned about my electrolytes results in the past:
Fibre intake does not help with salt retention at all.
And because potassium and magnesium are predominantly in the cells of the body a reading of the small amount in the blood is not necessarily going to tell you whether the body cells are replete or not.
Yes, a lowish blood test reading in potassium or magnesium might suggest the body cells are depleting of these salts but a normal level doses not rule it out.

Reactions: Pasha

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you drink caffeinated drinks at all? Just a consideration from my own experience. I was suffering with horrible palpitations a couple of months ago. A 72 hour ECG showed that I had developed an Ectopic heart beat. Having had some experience of caffeine related Ectopic heart beats a few years ago, I wondered if caffeine could be the cause this time as I had increased my consumption of beverages to avert dehydration except I only drink decaf tea and coffee. As an experiment I decided to change to water and sure enough over the following days the palpitations gradually ceased. I wasn't aware that decaf beverages contain some caffeine, that along with the increased liquid consumption must have been sufficient to create a sensitivity in me.
How much caffeine do you think you need to have to affect you like that? I know I'm sensitive to caffeine so i usually try to cap my consumption at either one (sometimes strong) coffee or two teas, and before lunch preferably because it will keep me awake. Maybe I should quit completely for a period of time and see if anything changes. Thanks for the suggestion and for sharing your experience!

Reactions: ickihun

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
P
Until you know what your heart arrhythmia is, it is impossible to find the cause of your palpitations and work out the best treatment. See your GP, who can listen to your heart, arrange any necessary tests and take it from there. You will have been checked when you were pregnant and during delivery so it is unlikely to be anything serious, but, especially if you are worried, you should get it checked out. Your good health is all the more important now you have a child to care for.
Pretty much any doctor I've asked about it think it's just anxiety, which it may well be. Sleep deprivation probably contributes I imagine. Only one doctor talked once about checking it out further but I haven't been back yet.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
According to doctors i have questuioned about my electrolytes results in the past:
Fibre intake does not help with salt retention at all.
And because potassium and magnesium are predominantly in the cells of the body a reading of the small amount in the blood is not necessarily going to tell you whether the body cells are replete or not.
Yes, a lowish blood test reading in potassium or magnesium might suggest the body cells are depleting of these salts but a normal level doses not rule it out.
Oh good to know! I started eating a slice of my husband's sourdough again thinking it might help ward off dehydration but since it's only day 2 after very low carbing, I'm not sure if the spikes in the 7s and 8s are going to come down to a fairer level or not but 7.8 at 2 hrs seems a bit high for someone who was just told by their doctor that I'm not diabetic despite spiking just past 12mmol at the 1h mark in a GTT...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks! Interesting. Would I remember the palpitations from childhood too if I'd had it from birth? I can only seem to remember them from adulthood.
Me too. Since low carbing, for me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, I have read about needing to increae salt and magnesium if you aren't eating so much fibre because you won't retain fluids as well. I think my potassium levels were fine from the blood test the other day.
I'll try the salty miso soup thing again. I feel it may help a little.
I have asked doctors about the flip flop feelings in my heart over the years and all of them dismiss it as probable anxiety.

I know I haven't got the balance in my diet quite right yet too so that probably isn't helping.
Low iron can cause them too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In fact most morbibly obese people get heart pressure and can lead to damage to the Heart. Enlarged heart and heart disease.
However we are no medics and I strongly advise you see your GP for a diagnosis. It's best to get these things checked. Whatever weight we are.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Were we? you ask.

Anyway, I digress.

Wait, I know!

I have been through all this stuff during my time. My best advice is seek professional help and dont stop until you feel that the issue has been resolved.
One of the serious dangers of palpitations can be the formation of blood clots.............no need to elaborate much more on that.
I take on a daily basis 400 mg of Mg++ from magnesium citrate, Pradaxa and BP medications. I had Atrial ablation some time ago etc etc. Just dont neglect the issue. I wish you all the best.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
No, probably not. For me they didn't start till I was in my late 20es, which is quite common, I believe. I can get them when I'm relaxing in a chair or when I'm out for a brisk walk. They don't seem to have anything to do with level of activity, and they're quite unpredictable. Sometimes I don't have any for months, and then suddenly I'll get them several times in a week. I learned that I survived every time, so stopped worrying.
I never knew what they were till I was admitted to hospital for PE, and was on a heart monitor. From my hospital bed I was having a peaceful chat to my husband on the phone, when I felt an 'attack' coming on. I barely had time to mention it to my husband before 4 very worried looking nurses surrounded my bed, and I told him 'sorry, have to go now'. Long and dramatic story, and I did my best to calm down the poor nurses. In the end I was given 'adenoid', and my heart behaved itself again, but that's how I was diagnosed at age 54.

Reactions: Rose22

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been through all this stuff during my time. My best advice is seek professional help and dont stop until you feel that the issue has been resolved.
One of the serious dangers of palpitations can be the formation of blood clots.............no need to elaborate much more on that.
I take on a daily basis 400 mg of Mg++ from magnesium citrate, Pradaxa and BP medications. I had Atrial ablation some time ago etc etc. Just dont neglect the issue. I wish you all the best.
So maybe I'm not being a hypochondriac worrying about it then...

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So maybe I'm not being a hypochondriac worrying about it then...

Of course not. Just best to empower yourself with the knowledge that modern medicine has to offer. After all as one professor that treated me told me " you are your own best doctor".

Reactions: Cocosilk