Guardian Sensor 3

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Just tried to update my CGM subscription via Medtronic eShop

Wouldn't let me add another 12 month subscription so I called them - got told they are now shipping the Sensor3 for 640g as it's a better sensor, smaller, more comfortable and now lasts up to 7 days. Oh and quicker start up time.

Can't say they old ones were uncomfortable, but the >2 hour start up annoyed me greatly. I know many people "hack" the system and get a bit more life out of the sensors, but my experience has been hit and miss, usually getting a couple at best of days extra but with questionable accuracy.

Anyone with experience of the new sensors with the 640g system?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Guardian 3 with the 670G. It feels the same as the Enlite sensor, so I can't say it's more comfortable.
On the 640G, the warm up time for me started at 2 hours but after several months it went down to 45 minutes. I'm hoping the same will happen with the 670G/Guardian 3, as the present 2 hours warm up seems so long after the 45 minutes I've been used to.

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tried to order them but they are out of stock and neither do they have the transmitter which is needed for it. So I guess we stay with the old ones for now!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
On the 640G, the warm up time for me started at 2 hours but after several months it went down to 45 minutes

That's odd. Surely the warm up time is a fairly constant factor?

Anyways, I'm on my last box of the 12 month subscription and was told on the phone that the new ones will be G3 so will see how it all goes.

Let us know how you find them Bob. Is it a new 'Serter and charge station too?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's odd. Surely the warm up time is a fairly constant factor?

Anyways, I'm on my last box of the 12 month subscription and was told on the phone that the new ones will be G3 so will see how it all goes.

Let us know how you find them Bob. Is it a new 'Serter and charge station too?
The warm-up alert says it takes UP TO 2 hours, so it isn't at all odd.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yeah I know it says that, but I don't see how having the system longer would reduced the warm up times to 45 mins. Mine's always been an hour and a half +. Have Medtronic explained possible reasons why startup time varies so much?

Seem to have had a bad batch of sensors recently. All lasting just under 2 days. Various error messages from "change sensor stopped working" to the "calibration not accepted" numerous times, to "sensor expired". Had 4 out of 5 sensors from this box replaced and decided not to even bother trying the 5th one. Now on a new box and around 3 days into a new sensor, which has just lost connection 2 or 3 times this morning and telling me to re-calibrate once reconnected. Don't know why I'm getting so many duff sensors recently, I'm not doing anything new or differently.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Spoke too soon.... New sensor (couple of days)....... Calibrate.... Calibrate not accepted. Wait 15 mins. Calibrate. not accepted. Sensor connection lost. May take up to 2 hours..... Calibrate..... AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Have turned off the sensor and will replace the lot. Again. Tonight and just have to remind myself to test my levels every hour while I'm stuck on clinic duties this arvo.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Spoke too soon.... New sensor (couple of days)....... Calibrate.... Calibrate not accepted. Wait 15 mins. Calibrate. not accepted. Sensor connection lost. May take up to 2 hours..... Calibrate..... AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Have turned off the sensor and will replace the lot. Again. Tonight and just have to remind myself to test my levels every hour while I'm stuck on clinic duties this arvo.
Does the new box of sensors have the same Lot Number?

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
nope - get a box sent each month, and they have different lot numbers and different expiration dates. I've also got random boxes of single sensors they've sent me to replace the dodgy ones. They're all labelled up in 1 / 2 / 3 etc depending on batch and expiry date so I know quickly which one to use next, I don't have to look at each one to find which will expire,

Just had an email to say my "new" box of sensors has arrived, and I'm expecting these to be the Guardian 3 (which is what they told me on the phone when I re-ordered a new subs).

Oh and current sensors has been stuck in a calibrate....... wait....... re-calibrate loop all morning so I've just disabled the sensor, taken it off and manual BSL which was 6.2. Which pleases me as I was messing with carb ratios and sensitivity in bolus settings (carb ratio 10g/u and sensitivity 2.5mmol/L per U I probably should have taken note of the original settings eh? do these look crazily out of range for average settings? I do have a feeling my carb ratio was @ 9g/U but meh.....)

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Bah..."New" box of sensors was the same ones. Seems like the Medtronic rep gave me duff advice when I reordered.

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
OK we are up and running with new sensors. Different tape to go on top and they last 7 days but that seems main difference. I have a new inserter (but looks very similar to old one) and charger is exactly the same. 2 hours to warm up so no change there sorry

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cheers Bob

I have no idea when I'll be getting them, as call q's are too long and they don't respond to emails. Ever. Unless it's to say my card got declined for some reason. hehe

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Nice to know someone else is having issues with the guardian3 sensors besides me! I started the sensors about 6 weeks ago and have spent numerous hours on the phone with medtronic in the last few weeks....soooooo annoying. the last batch seem to have a problem calibrating (apparently the blood reading must be within 20% of the sensor or will not calibrate adn then after 2 failed sensors you must change it). fine but how to get you magically get your readings to match if the cgm is out of wack?! then two days ago it said sensor updating wait 3 hours to calibrate, then it said change sensor.....grrrrrr.....yesterday sensor said my readings were 22 for hours and hours but yet my bg's were 14 and 16!!! (yes high but was after a earlier hypo).

Have you had any better luck in the last 2 weeks or are the guardian sensors not reliable in general?

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Cheers Bob

I have no idea when I'll be getting them, as call q's are too long and they don't respond to emails. Ever. Unless it's to say my card got declined for some reason. hehe

are you having any better luck recently @aphex2k ??

seem to be having more issues than ever with the guardian 3 sensors....just wondering the reliability of them!

this week my sensor was telling me i was 2.2 all night and kept suspending basal...but i was 8 so had to wake up every hour to shut the stupid thing from beeping...i should have just turned the sensor off :mad:

today i have had sensor updating do not calibrate for 3 hours, the after hours it says change sensor, not working properly. not sure why and metronic cant tell me either...the isig reading is good

love getting the sensor readings when it works!....but just not sure how reliable it is and if i should consider switching cgms

Last edited:

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've not started my box of G3 sensors yet. I've got a few of the "old" sensors to get through first.
I'm still having issues with them. Current sensor keeps telling me it's lost signal, may take 3 hours to find it again, will need calibrating when it's found it. Seems to be the norm rather than on occasions.

Odd your sensor is getting stuck at 2.2. Is this your level dropping to 2.2 after you've calibrated?

"today i have had sensor updating do not calibrate for 3 hours, the after hours it says change sensor, not working properly."

Just fit a new sensor. IME once they start getting their knickers in a twist, you end up fitting a new one anyway. May as well get it sorted now.

Nearly 3 weeks ago now I hit a blood vessel inserting a sensor. Left a big haematoma and still there now (but looking better).

Medtronic aren't in my good books tbh. I got my 640g around a year ago. At the same time as the 670g came onto the market. Was told that all users of 640g would be upgraded. Even says it in a press release from one of the managing directors. I just had to sign up for the upgrade program. So nearly a year later they're telling me they haven't finalised the upgrade program, and I'm "top of the list to be called". Now they're telling me the can't give any dates, but also won't explain what the hold up is.

Last edited:

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had 5 G3 sensors fail me in a row, & was ready to call it a day with the CGM. I've spent hours on the phone to Medtronic, sent them back to see why they failed, but no response. Problems too pairing the transmitter to the pump. In 3 months I've only got them to pair twice!! I wish the initial training covered more of these problems.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, this is an interesting thread, I've been considered for the medtronic 670G with the CGM. I just wanted to know does accuracy vary on everyone? and how is auto mode?

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
5 failed And problems connecting the transmitter? Once the transmitter is connected to the pump, it shouldn't need to reconnect again. Do your sensors fail instantly / all at the same time? Do they warm up and initialise OK? Transmitter fully charged? You're waiting for the light to stop flashing when you take it off the charger, and waiting for the lights once you've connected to the transmitter? There are vids on youtube of correct set up and insertion. Maybe you're missing one tiny thing somehow?

I doubt they release any info of investigations but they should replace them all.

On my third G3 sensor. 2 used with a 640g. No issues, 7 days from both.

Just set up a 670g, all working so far. Warm up and first calibration worked.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@lindaburner I presume by not pairing, you mean the green light doesn't flash. I've never had that happen. I would suspect a problem with the transmitter if it happens a lot . . . That is if the actual sensors are ok. You could suggest this may be the case and see what Medtronic does.

@MeiChanski I don't know for sure but I presume, as is usually the case, everyone in different. I find some sensors are more accurate than others. My present one shows my blood to be around 2 lower than it actually is. Other sensors show readings more or less what my glucose monitor says.

Auto basal is fine. It stops basal to prevent you going low and restarts as BG starts to rise.