Low after meal

Sokras788

Hello everyone. I am new to this.
4 years ago I was on a weight loss journey and lost 60kg from 160 to 100. After that a normal year followed and then bam I was hospitalized with a bg level over 700. All happened so sudden. That year I was devastated and I pretty much have up.
Sorry for the long back story, now straight to the problem.
3 days ago I started dieting and exercising, today at my last meal I had 105 bg and I ate 150g of turkey breast and 90g of carbs worth of white rice. I injected Novorapid flexpen 10 units( my common injection was 16-18 units but I decided to go way lower since I had a low at 45 bg earlier.
Now after the meal even tho it was my biggest meal of the day and I injected the least I have ever injected suddenly it went slightly up but started going straight down. I panicked started eating chocolate bars and lollipops. It went up to 215 in the next hour but then started dropping again and 3 hours later I'm sitting at 120 bg without having injected anything. My doctor told me that with what i ate my bg levels should be at 300-400 but it dropped again, so they gave me a medical dextrose solution just in case.
Now I'm afraid to go to sleep in case it starts dropping fast. Anyone else experienced something like this before?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone. I am new to this.
4 years ago I was on a weight loss journey and lost 60kg from 160 to 100. After that a normal year followed and then bam I was hospitalized with a bg level over 700. All happened so sudden. That year I was devastated and I pretty much have up.
Sorry for the long back story, now straight to the problem.
3 days ago I started dieting and exercising, today at my last meal I had 105 bg and I ate 150g of turkey breast and 90g of carbs worth of white rice. I injected Novorapid flexpen 10 units( my common injection was 16-18 units but I decided to go way lower since I had a low at 45 bg earlier.
Now after the meal even tho it was my biggest meal of the day and I injected the least I have ever injected suddenly it went slightly up but started going straight down. I panicked started eating chocolate bars and lollipops. It went up to 215 in the next hour but then started dropping again and 3 hours later I'm sitting at 120 bg without having injected anything. My doctor told me that with what i ate my bg levels should be at 300-400 but it dropped again, so they gave me a medical dextrose solution just in case.
Now I'm afraid to go to sleep in case it starts dropping fast. Anyone else experienced something like this before?

Hi, do you have type 1or type 2 or another type of diabetes?

Have you had your insulin levels tested recently? Any results may help with the advice you can receive from the lovely people on this forum.

If you could let us know what other typical meals you eat and what your blood glucose readings are just before and at 1h and 2h afterwards, that can also help get a clearer picture of what's going on for you.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum. 120 bg is within range - not too low or high - that would translate to 6.8 mmol. I use the Novorapid pen too and 10 units would be about right for me for 90 grams carbs, but not for rice which for me is extremely hard to predict for its effect on my bs and would shoot my bs really high even with the insulin. Also chocolate bars and lollipops were way too much sugar to treat your hypo symptoms. You are on what many would call the "rollercoaster" of being too high, then dropping too low and then back to too high. All that would make me ill. I had to cut down seriously on the carbs and then I found it easier and more predictable to match the insulin to what I was eating.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yes 120 is 6.6. If you are very worried you could try eating some long acting carbs like bead a digestive type biscuit or drink some milk.
Chocolate is usually not fast acting enough to bring you out of a hypo.