Have I reversed my T2 Diabetes Diagnosis

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@WuTwo I was NOT suggesting to this person they start eating pasta and cake to their hearts content. I was pointing out that unless they can, with no detriment to their blood sugar (which is highly unlikely) then sorry but no, they haven’t “reversed” their diabetes, they’re just managing it.

That obviously wasn’t very clear, for which I apologise.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@WuTwo I was NOT suggesting to this person they start eating pasta and cake to their hearts content. I was pointing out that unless they can, with no detriment to their blood sugar (which is highly unlikely) then sorry but no, they haven’t “reversed” their diabetes, they’re just managing it.

That obviously wasn’t very clear, for which I apologise.

It's all cool - no worries. I know you wouldn't say anything like that, but obviously for whatever reason the OP felt there was some hostility towards their way of eating. I wanted to reassure him/her that this wasn't the case in this forum.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

A post has been removed from this thread for rudeness.

I would remind all members that we expect people to be polite to each other - including when responding to perceived 'attacks'.

All members should familiarise themselves with the forum rules (link in my signature), and if they see a post that they feel breaks those forum rules then hit the REPORT button under the relevant post.

Carrying on discussions that criticise and denigrate another member on the open forum is rude, and will not be tolerated.

The reality is that no one's diabetes is exactly the same as anyone else's. We all react differently to food, and medication, and fasting, and exercise. So we all get to manage our diabetes, and talk about our personal experience. Others are welcome to do the same.

Reactions: Prem51

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ok my post was just deleted. I’ll try again. I’m very very sorry that my post about reversal versus management was misunderstood. I feel I was unjustly attacked by someone who replied. But that’s clearly not the majority viewpoint so I’ll accept that and consider it a lesson we’ll learned.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries @Adm_Mad.

Now, I would like to remind everyone that this thread was started by someone looking for opinions on their situation.
Hopefully, we can get back on topic now.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Macspiffing - I think what you have done is amazing. I agree it's possible - I watch it happen in my own home (husband lets me take readings after meals if I ask and use my meter etc) - but I don't pretend to understand it.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
@Cocosilk Why are you attacking and lecturing me???? Trust me I am under no delusions that I can eat whatever I like with no consequence. I am fully aware of how this disease can progress, even with all your best efforts to control it. Most days I seriously consider just killing myself now before things get too bad. I thought that was the point of my post, that for most people there’s no reversal of type 2 diabetes, just the potential for good management!!!

But thank you for that lecture. I’ll consider myself put firmly back in my box.

Don't you find that lectures we give to others are really lectures to ourselves? I was literally thinking out loud trying to see both sides of the debate about whether diabetes can be reversed or not.
Personally I sympathise greatly with those in the latter camp. I know it's hard to walk away!
But there are those who never look back. I think they are entitled to consider themselves free of the disease.
Don't get back in your box! Opinions from all sides are needed to keep this forum interesting :). There are many here who would completely agree with you.

M

Member496333

My interpretation of the post from @Cocosilk was that it was not an attack. Merely an opinion that reversal of T2DM does not hinge on whether or not the individual can return to the diet that gave them diabetes in the first place. It’s fairly obvious that this will never be the case.

My opinion on reversal/remission/cure - if diabetes is not there then it is not there. Impaired glucose tolerance is another matter, but as I like to frame it - life isn’t a carbohydrate eating competition. As always, others are free to disagree.

Macspiffing

BANNED
Hi @Macspiffing
Well done. You have done so well in such a short space of time. You might want to add your journey to this link, to encourage others. Your journey is one of the most encouraging I have read. Not only because of your significant weight loss and hba1c reduction but the fact you seem to be able to eat so many carbs without it putting up your blood sugars. Not many of us are able to do this without it sending our hba1c in the wrong direction.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
Hi Debandez, I am really happy you found my story one of the most encouraging, this can happen to others, if it happened to me, Im glad I did this if it helps and encourages others but I think it was good for me too, to write it. I pushed myself to do it, like I did and do with my lifestyle changes and I get to read comments like yours and others, thats cool.

Macspiffing

BANNED
When you say your results are consistent no matter what you eat, what would your reading be do you think if you ate a bag of chips and a big plate of pasta, followed by a big slice of pie and scoops of ice cream for dessert, three times a day? Because if your readings stay in the “normal non diabetic person” range then yes you’ve reversed your disease. But if they go high until all the sugar is out of your system then no, you’re managing your disease (but AMAZINGLY well) but you haven’t reversed it.
Hi Adm_Mad,
My body is functioning correctly now because I am treating it correctly and yes I know I am cured/normal,better whatever label you or anyone calls it, , I really was not treating my body well in the past, for a very long time and to be honest it held out well for me, for it to only fail with high glucose readings, I was very bad to it!!, I took it for granted that it would look after me no matter what I did to it.

When I say consistent readings its generally with anything, chocolate shreddies, coco pops, home made chips, full plates of rice, macaroni cheese anything as long as it is based on healthy living calories/portion/weigh control. If I eat chips at home I weigh 200g thats approx 400 calories so be careful I cant have much else with it, salad yep.. My readings are rarely above 6.0 when I wake & 2 hours after food, last night I forgot I ate 1/2 chocolate cereal thing 1 hour after my dinner but still was only 6.0.

I have had 3 or 4 very naughty days in terms of junk stodge foods over the last 17 weeks, but some junk food I really really do love and one of my favourite is chippy chips with loads of salt and vinegar when Im out and about, I think of them so often its disturbing:) and I love sugared donuts soooo much, I think I love food full stop really, but I know that loving these things and eating them uncontrollably is the same as any addiction, drink, drugs food all do damage in some shape or other, the term moderation is correct even if it is a bit boring, I will no doubt have my whats it called let my hair down days in the future, I just will not do it every day as i did before!

To answer your main question,

"what would your reading be do you think if you ate a bag of chips and a big plate of pasta, followed by a big slice of pie and scoops of ice cream for dessert, three times a day?"

My answer to that would be, it would be the same as anyone's reading diabetic or non diabetic, non diabetics have high readings too, about 8 weeks ago my wife and I ate a large chinese takeaway in the car, we went too Newcastle to buy a dishwasher and it had been a long and fairly stressful day, (satnav kept taking us to a closed road), with dieting and being low calorie it was very hard, so this night on the way home we stopped in hexham and I got sweet and sour chicken balls in batter, large tub very sweet sauce! Large container special fried rice and a very unhealthy large size of chips. I thought I have blown my good diet and blood sugar issues, **** i thought, I ate it sooo fast all of it, no way will my body be able to deal with this, I took note of the time for the dreaded result, drove home and exactly 2 hours later my reading was 8.7 but my wifes reading was 9.6 thats when I knew my body had performed as it should, I hope that answers your question.

Macspiffing

BANNED
Why does anybody expect to get away with eating like that with no consequence though? We all know sugar is bad for us, don't we? So you just extend that to all carbs once you are diabetic and realise you may have exceeded your lifetime "allowance" of carbs if you went nuts on them for years.
If you are determined not to damage yourself further, it takes a bit of self-care to realise that everything we put into our mouths counts. Once you see the effects on a metre it's harder to keep your head in the sand about it.
You then have to address your relationship with food. It's a long journey for many. For some, walking away from a lifetime of rubbish food is a revelation. And if they are accepting of their new situation of eating quite differently, there's no reason to mentally burden themselves with a label that says they are ill when they have moved on from the foods that were making them so.
But for others, letting go is impossible. And then you will always carry the label. You must in order to remind yourself every day, every hour, that what you put into your mouth counts. And you'd better not make it count against you, if you want to be well.
Hi Cocosik, I agree with you 100% on the consequences of eating such things and the amounts suggested by Adm_Mad to make the case if I have reversed or not, but thats an extreme example IMO for anyone even for me to eat that in my bad old days,

You mention about what people put in their mouths with no real thought and I did that, but I am now so super conscious of what I eat because I weigh and count to ensure I continue to lose weight thats my main aim, that has been my focus after my readings came right, for the first 4 weeks of starting I really looked into all these carbs and cut them right down including my new milk alternatives and my results/readings improved massively, very quickly too, I decided to make sure I really could not have carbs by reintroducing them back in as normal except the milk because i like the nilk in my coffee and on my cereal now and bonus less calories but everything else was fair game for me. I now eat everything and anything I want all based on my allowance. If I get a cake I cant have much dinner and the cakes soon go to the wayside when you see the dinner that you can't have!