Diabetics R Us

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Off on our jollies again tomorrow. Derbyshire this time (near Matlock). So excited about it. Derbyshire is one of my ancestral places. Mum was born there, and all her ancestors back to the year dot. I was at teacher training college in Derby, stayed there for a further 3 years. Daughter was born there. So I feel quite at home when we stay in the county. No doubt I will be doing a bit of grave digging if I get chance. Mr Blue and Ness will have to be patient. The weather forecast says it is going to be a very hot week, which may curtail us a bit as far as walking is concerned, and driving a long way, but hey! Better than snow. Cool clothes packed. Ness has a cool coat and a cool mat. I may be borrowing them. :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yummy! I have decided to see if I can make them with a boiled egg inside instead of cheese to be called 'All Day Breakfast'. My youngest takes the cheesy one to uni for lunch (he eats two at a time) and he likes his all spicy. Glad you like them.
Sounds like Scotch egg with a twist!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Off on our jollies again tomorrow. Derbyshire this time (near Matlock). So excited about it. Derbyshire is one of my ancestral places. Mum was born there, and all her ancestors back to the year dot. I was at teacher training college in Derby, stayed there for a further 3 years. Daughter was born there. So I feel quite at home when we stay in the county. No doubt I will be doing a bit of grave digging if I get chance. Mr Blue and Ness will have to be patient. The weather forecast says it is going to be a very hot week, which may curtail us a bit as far as walking is concerned, and driving a long way, but hey! Better than snow. Cool clothes packed. Ness has a cool coat and a cool mat. I may be borrowing them. :)
If I go out of my front door and throw a stone someone in Derbyshire would probably complain..

No seriously though it would take me a short walk to be in Derbyshire from here, I like Matlock and before Diabetes intruded in my life Bakewell tarts bought in Bakewell were a treat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I go out of my front door and throw a stone someone in Derbyshire would probably complain..

No seriously though it would take me a short walk to be in Derbyshire from here, I like Matlock and before Diabetes intruded in my life Bakewell tarts bought in Bakewell were a treat.

I have a lot of Derbyshire Stones in my maternal family tree. The saying goes in the area that if you throw a stone at a Stone, you will get a thousand stones thrown back at you.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
30 degrees Celsius here our street is one huge swarm of flying ants.

I am having a big problem with the heat MG and Asthma are affected.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, very intense heat and high humidity here on holiday in Derbyshire, not so far from you. It was well over 30 degrees here today.

So far I have done some grave digging in St. Lukes churchyard at Heage and found quite a few ancesters there. Photos taken. Found a fab WW1 roll of honour memorial in Matlock Bath with a relative's details. (In the forerunner to the RAF, died in a flying accident, aged 21. He was a Flight Lieutenant)

Been on the cable car at Matlock Bath over the valley to the top of Abraham Heights, and today been to the Crich Tramway Museum. Had a fab ride on a 1934 vintage Blackpool single decker open topped tram. Both of us know almost for certain we have been on that tram in its original location many times when we were children/young adults. Ness is a well travelled dog - but wasn't too impressed!

Currently sitting in garden with a ridiculously large glass of wine. Easily half a pint, and not eaten yet!!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 I thought about you today while I was out shopping. I saw a new kind of snack for sale, called a Sweet Amsterdam Stroopwafel. It's said to be guilt-free -- I wonder why. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I thought about you today while I was out shopping. I saw a new kind of snack for sale, called a Sweet Amsterdam Stroopwafel. It's said to be guilt-free -- I wonder why. :)
I'm afraid stroopwafels and guilt free don't combine very well, unless having a very nasty hypo. I'm sorry. But should you decide to try, put it in the oven for a minute! And don't buy if guilt free means sugar free...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A few years ago while on holiday in Devon I happened to be in Barnstaple market when a lady from the Netherlands was selling what I believe to have been stroopwafels if they are the same things the method was to place them on top of a hot mug of coffee or such like till they warmed and then eat them with the hot drink I found them delicious but very sweet.

Reactions: Antje77

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid stroopwafels and guilt free don't combine very well, unless having a very nasty hypo. I'm sorry. But should you decide to try, put it in the oven for a minute! And don't buy if guilt free means sugar free...

Apparently it means gluten-free. Interesting how something can contain cane sugar and glucose syrup, potato and corn starches, and palm oil, and still be labeled "guilt-free"!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently it means gluten-free. Interesting how something can contain cane sugar and glucose syrup, potato and corn starches, and palm oil, and still be labeled "guilt-free"!
Definitely buy another brand!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few years ago while on holiday in Devon I happened to be in Barnstaple market when a lady from the Netherlands was selling what I believe to have been stroopwafels if they are the same things the method was to place them on top of a hot mug of coffee or such like till they warmed and then eat them with the hot drink I found them delicious but very sweet.

I enjoyed your description of the stroopwafel method. It was a happy reminder of how I used to warm up some treats ... maybe oatmeal cookies. :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Wouldn't it be fun to roll and run over a whole lawn of lawn blisters!
Well, maybe not the running for you, but it must feel awesome to lay on them!
It has been exceptionally wet of late but not cold. I would to do a roly-poly over one.