Trulicity (Dulaglutide)and low carb diet

Mrs_A_Wrinkly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am trying to follow a low carb diet but seem to remember a warning about not eating sufficient carbs when using this medication?
Has anyone had an experience or knowledge of this please?

And what is a sufficient number of carbs?
Thanks

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
using this medication
Hi @Mrs_A_Wrinkly.

Upping your carb intake is not good medical advice for a diabetic. :stop:

Trulicity website States::bookworm:
If you do not reach your A1C goal after 6 months, talk to your healthcare provider about adjusting your medications, diet, or exercise routine.

By adjusting your diet and exercise routine alone, you should be able to reverse your blood glucose to the non-diabetic range in just 3 months. So what is Trulicity doing for you that it can take twice as long and still show no markable improvement?

Sorry @Mrs_A_Wrinkly there is no magic pill you were on the right path already by following a low carb diet.

This stuff is $300 a month aprox. And there advice is to eat more carbs.
Its as though they want you to keep paying for there medication. :meh:
:bag:

Last edited:

Mrs_A_Wrinkly

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi @Mrs_A_Wrinkly.

Upping your carb intake is not good medical advice for a diabetic. :stop:

Trulicity website States::bookworm:
If you do not reach your A1C goal after 6 months, talk to your healthcare provider about adjusting your medications, diet, or exercise routine.

By adjusting your diet and exercise routine alone, you should be able to reverse your blood glucose to the non-diabetic range in just 3 months. So what is Trulicity doing for you that it can take twice as long and still show no markable improvement?

Sorry @Mrs_A_Wrinkly there is no magic pill you were on the right path already by following a low carb diet.

This stuff is $300 a month aprox. And there advice it to eat more carbs.
Its as though they want you to keep paying for there medication. :meh:

I think I have confused my situation to you. I didn’t give you the full picture so apologies. I am very happy with Trulicity and after 3 months
HBCA1 results almost normal, but wishing to go that step further I wondered about low carb diet and if there was any indication that going v low carb with this medication may cause ketinosis (probably spelled wrongly)
So asking advice and also if there is an issue what level of carbs is ok to go down to.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very happy with Trulicity and after 3 months
HBCA1 results almost normal

• Trulicity may cause tumors including thyroid cancer.
  • Trulicity may cause inflammation of your pancreas & low blood sugar.
  • Trulicity may cause kidney failure.

Which @Mrs_A_Wrinkly is cause for concern in this case the cure may be worse that the disease. Those are some scary side effects you can control/lower your HBCA1 by a low carb diet alone.

Apart form the side effects the how purpose of Trulicity is to stimulate the pancreas into releasing more insulin which is some thing many of us are actively trying to avoid. This is the whole point of LCHF to lower bg levels and thus the amount of insulin we produce. You are injecting a drug to stimulate insulin and being told to eat more "bland food like toast crackers and rice." All of which raise your bg to deal with the extra insulin the drug produces. This make no sense.

@Mrs_A_Wrinkly I'm no expert I have read a couple of articles and offer an opinion biased on my own limited knowledge, please go check this out with your Doctor, going low carb while taking this drug could drop your blood glucose to dangerously low hypoglycemic levels which can cause loss of consciousness, seizures or death.

Sorry I know that's not the answer you were looking for. :(

Mrs_A_Wrinkly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are correct - there is no spoon!
It is me who needs to change and this is what I have done. I have endured 10 years of poor blood sugar regulation, worked hard at trying to control it via diet and exercise, medications. Nothing has worked until this medication.
I began this medication with the full knowledge of the possibilities, I read the blogs and researched it. And at last have established control.
My aim has always been to reduce medication, but I needed this to restore blood sugar levels to as near normal as possible which restored my ability to focus and be in control. So following a low carb diet will be another tool in the box. Of course I’m being careful I am eating some carbs because of the risk but reduced.
Sometimes we need a crutch and this is mine. I won’t always need it but to get to a place which put me in control I needed to do this.