Slimming world

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey,

I’m thinking of joining slimming world and was wondering if anybody else has join and how has it affect you diabetes eg sugar levels

Reactions: lcarter

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be ok as a type 1 such as yourself, but for type two there can be a lot of carbs in the syn free foods they encourage filling up on eg rice pasta potatoes which being insulin resistant and generally without insulin to cover those carbs is almost certainly not going to be the best approach. And more insulin can often mean more weight gain.

It’s fundamentally the eatwell plate of low fat and potentially high carb and is about calorie restriction but uses a simpler system of categories food falls into to limit counting. It does encourage more unprocessed, fresh food and cooking for yourself as a positive. It also depends what your starting diet is like how much improvement that would be. It does offer group support if you need that.

If you stick more to the veg and less carbs it can work but being low fat too might leave you hungry unless you raise the protein instead.

Personally I think low carb high fat (carefully monitored for insulin needs) is better and the weight loss section in here or in many other groups and forum works better but each to their own.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m thinking of joining slimming world
Hi angie I have a friend who runs a local SW and I often help out setting up.

The friend does not have a clue about food health or nutrition and no longer follows the SW diet. They have no training to be giving dietary advice to anyone. They are there to take your money and sell you there own brand food, cooking books and bars of chocolate.

Whats the first thing any diet will tell you stop eating chocolate and sweets, not SW "eat our chocolate its slimming".:banghead:

But the truth is SW works for some people, you might be one of them. And there is a whole social aspect to joining that might help/motivate you to loose the weight you are looking to.

Good luck. ;)
:bag:

Reactions: lcarter

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I’m thinking of joining slimming world and was wondering if anybody else has join and how has it affect you diabetes eg sugar levels

Really, Slimming World is too high in carbohydrates. There are no such things as Free Foods for diabetics either. Personally it's a con. Why do most memebers keep going back? Because it isn't a success. Just a con.