Nights

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all after some advice i work permanant nights on a 5 on 3 off shift , at the mo im struggling to keep my bs stable also have high bp which is under control 131/80 , i drive a truck so eat when i can and its not good eating tbh **** crisps choc bar sandwich that sort of thing ,take meds about midday ish , thing is by the end of the 5 shift im completly knackered odd occasion nodded off but the 3 days off dont seam to give me the rest i need , goin bed between 4 an 5 in morn getting up 11 ish then work starts 5 pm till wot ever 12 hrs shift min , im a t2 on meds , ive asked to go on days several times but never heard anything back the job its self is stress full .

Cheers sorry for long post

Paul

Also is t2 classed as a disability ?not that i want to claim benefits so i can say to employer

Last edited:

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Paul,is there any way you can retire early?I did that for my health at 59,my job was crippling me.I was lucky as we had the ability to,at least on a budget,one of my hobbies now is being thrifty.

You are working 5, 12 hour shifts??? Can you go part time?

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paul,is there any way you can retire early?I did that for my health at 59,my job was crippling me.I was lucky as we had the ability to,at least on a budget,one of my hobbies now is being thrifty.

You are working 5, 12 hour shifts??? Can you go part time?
Hi wish i could reire early got a wee pension i can get at 55 was thinking of doing a 3/4 day aweek job the job isnt the best to stress full managment dont help

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We took a real financial hit but I was sure job would kill me if we didnt.

If you can get the 55 pension and cut the hours I would jump at it.Does it look possible?How does your job market look could you possibly change employer? Less hours,or better scheduling?
One nephew went from 5 day a week local driver to 2.5 days/week as a long haul trucker for same pay and better benefits just recently

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all after some advice i work permanant nights on a 5 on 3 off shift , at the mo im struggling to keep my bs stable also have high bp which is under control 131/80 , i drive a truck so eat when i can and its not good eating tbh **** crisps choc bar sandwich that sort of thing ,take meds about midday ish , thing is by the end of the 5 shift im completly knackered odd occasion nodded off but the 3 days off dont seam to give me the rest i need , goin bed between 4 an 5 in morn getting up 11 ish then work starts 5 pm till wot ever 12 hrs shift min , im a t2 on meds , ive asked to go on days several times but never heard anything back the job its self is stress full .

Cheers sorry for long post

Paul
Hi Paul
I am just going to pick up on what you can find to eat on your shifts. Wherever you buy the crisps, choc etc will probably also provide packs of cold meat, cheese, maybe salad, tub of ready made egg mayo which will fill you up better and for longer than starch or sugar based stuff. If you were to pack a small cool bag with stuff from home even better. If you encounter Simply M&S at any stops they have a fantastic range of LC deli items 3 for £7. Its just getting your head into a different way of eating. Dont buy fizzy drinks unless its water or zero sugar. Good luck and best wishes.

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We took a real financial hit but I was sure job would kill me if we didnt.

If you can get the 55 pension and cut the hours I would jump at it.Does it look possible?How does your job market look could you possibly change employer? Less hours,or better scheduling?
One nephew went from 5 day a week local driver to 2.5 days/week as a long haul trucker for same pay and better benefits just recently
Ill have to see at the time just over 2yrs till i can get it theres plenty of work with driving agencys round here

Reactions: 1spuds

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Paul
I am just going to pick up on what you can find to eat on your shifts. Wherever you buy the crisps, choc etc will probably also provide packs of cold meat, cheese, maybe salad, tub of ready made egg mayo which will fill you up better and for longer than starch or sugar based stuff. If you were to pack a small cool bag with stuff from home even better. If you encounter Simply M&S at any stops they have a fantastic range of LC deli items 3 for £7. Its just getting your head into a different way of eating. Dont buy fizzy drinks unless its water or zero sugar. Good luck and best wishes.
Hi ill check but can get modt of it from my local tesco time is limited with these shifts

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ill check but can get modt of it from my local tesco time is limited with these shifts

Paul, I would say, managing your eating would do a lot to help how you feel. Taj=king on-board nutritionally dense foods will help your body cope much more than your crisps, chocolate and sandwiches.

How do you shop for your food now? Do you do it, as you go along, so you leave home to go to work without food, and buy it on stops, or do you take your food from supplies at home?

You do live on your own, or is there family at home?

Finally you mention you're on meds. What meds to you take to help with your diabetes? That can influence the suggestions people could make.

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paul, I would say, managing your eating would do a lot to help how you feel. Taj=king on-board nutritionally dense foods will help your body cope much more than your crisps, chocolate and sandwiches.

How do you shop for your food now? Do you do it, as you go along, so you leave home to go to work without food, and buy it on stops, or do you take your food from supplies at home?

You do live on your own, or is there family at home?

Finally you mention you're on meds. What meds to you take to help with your diabetes? That can influence the suggestions people could make.

Paul2866

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi im on empag an sitigilpin an ramapril an amlodipine for hbp ,supplies are from home and or shop depends on time an i have family at home

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi im on empag an sitigilpin an ramapril an amlodipine for hbp ,supplies are from home and or shop depends on time an i have family at home

In making these suggestions, I'll assume two things. Firstly, that you eat a mixed diet. By that I mean you eat meat, ddairy and so on, and secondly that you have a freezer?

In your shoes, if I have to be away from home for a chunk of time, where I know eating isn't going to be a languide lunch with loads of time to choose somewhere to eat and so on, I'll take something with me.

I'd be thinking about things like:
Cooked chicken thighs/wings or legs (Can be batch coked, then frozen. When freezing, foil wrap pieces individually.)
Hard boiled eggs (Eggs can be hard boiled in small batches. They keep well in the fridge for a few days)
Cheese (Cut into matchbox sized portions, and foil wrapped, for easy eating)
Good quality high meat content sausages (Can be batch coked, then frozen. When freezing, foil wrap pieces individually.)
Cold meats
Pork scratchings.

All of those things are tasty, filling, and will be kinder to your blood sugar numbers. The frozen things can be taken out of the freezer when you get up. By the ime it comes to your mealtimes, they will have defrosted.

Once you get going, it gets easier.

One thing I will say is it is wise to be testing your blood sugars, regularly, if you're going t be modifying your diet.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm a truck driver (ADR) working 5/6 13 to 15 hour days starting at 3am ish

Was until 4 months ago on a 3 on 2 off

To be fair it takes me no longer to shop healthy at tesco than to buy rubbish.. ok I dont get a lot of variety as I go for the same things but I know how they affect my levels

I'm lucky that my current truck has a fridge and microwave. But 4 months ago when on tankers I just used an insulated bag..

Once you know where the 'good' stuff is in tesco time is not really a reason to not buy better stuff as it takes no longer