Weight loss not working - should I give up?

Sally_8873

Thank you! I'd kill for your measurements. My best night time is about 5.5 and my pre is usually 6.5. My average is about 7.5 according to my libre.

My FBGs were generally around mid to upper 5s prior to my last HbA1c with pre prandial between 4.8 and mid 5s. Post prandial going into the 6s for the most part but there was even an 8 in there when the DN tempted me to eat porridge on one day. My last HbA1c was 39 so your prospects might not be as dour as you think. Have you tried looking at what your average score might be?

Sally_8873

But that weight reduction reversal theory applies to people whp are overweight to start with, and that’s not you, certainly not now.

That’s because you yourself say that low calorie weight loss isn’t working and ask what does and for most of us that’s low carb. It is the answer to the question you asked.. You don’t like the answer I get that but it is what works for almost all of us that try it.

Out of interest why don’t you want to try low carb instead of low calorie?

I didn't ask 'what works?' I asked 'are there any thin (south Asian) people for whom weight loss worked?'

I didn't say I don't want to do low-carb. I said I don't need advice on it.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sally_8873 - How tall are you? At 46kg, I'd imagine you to be very slight indeed, unless very petite?

In term of your subclinical hypothyroidism: have all your thyroid hormones, including T3 and FT3 beenchecked, s well as thyroid antibodies? Our vitamin levels also need to be in good shape for our thyroids to work at their most efficient levels.

I ask this because, depending on those findings, and that our thyroid gland is a major contributor, or inhibitor, to metabolic health, it can really mess with all sorts, including our blood sugar readings.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Sally_8873

I'm 152cm/ 5ft - both slight and petite! None of my old clothes fit since I lost the weight!

I have a blood test for thyroid function and antibodies scheduled for a couple of weeks time. My last blood test (June) indicated proper hypothyroidism. The plan is for a repeat test to make sure this is correct then levothyroxine. I'm less reluctant to start on this than diabetes meds.

I can check and ask for all the things you mention to be tested - sometimes it's like blood from a stone trying to get my GP to do a test! If you have any tips on how to convince them, let me know!

I take a daily multivits since T2 diagnosis- do you think that would be sufficient?

Do you think treating the thyroid issue might help with the blood sugar? My plan was to start on levothyroxine and see what the impact on blood glucose was before resigning myself to diabetes meds.

I can continue with low carb, exercise, calorie restriction - but I've been doing that since Feb and it has had no impact. It might have stopped things getting worse - hard to know.

Reactions: Megnala

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I’m asian as well but I’m not as skinny as you are at your weight. If we were to use the asian bmi scale, I think you are fine. However have you tried using the scale that weighs your fat to muscle ratio? Another thing is I find that if you and I were to lose weight, I think the impact would be much slower than someone who is overweight - obese. My bf lost around 5-6kg this summer through diet and I lost a mere kilo. I was wondering if weight loss comes to a halt, would you consider maintaining it and gain muscle?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Sally_8873

Hello, I’m asian as well but I’m not as skinny as you are at your weight. If we were to use the asian bmi scale, I think you are fine. However have you tried using the scale that weighs your fat to muscle ratio? Another thing is I find that if you and I were to lose weight, I think the impact would be much slower than someone who is overweight - obese. My bf lost around 5-6kg this summer through diet and I lost a mere kilo. I was wondering if weight loss comes to a halt, would you consider maintaining it and gain muscle?

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are combining low carbing and calorie restriction, maybe this is your problem. Doing both the body is dumping hence why your bg is high. You exercise the body needs energy from somewhere, glycogen is dumped, I wouldn't be surprised its high afterwards. Another reason for DP
You need to decide which you want to follow, both low carb and Newcastle diet achieve the same goals, however with ND is on for short term, those on it go on to low carb.
Whether you like it or not, low carb works but not how you do it. It lowers bg, resolves DP, reduces fatty liver.

Seeing you don't like low carbing just do ND. Vegetables grown under are high in sugar, bare this in mind.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 152cm/ 5ft - both slight and petite! None of my old clothes fit since I lost the weight!

I have a blood test for thyroid function and antibodies scheduled for a couple of weeks time. My last blood test (June) indicated proper hypothyroidism. The plan is for a repeat test to make sure this is correct then levothyroxine. I'm less reluctant to start on this than diabetes meds.

I can check and ask for all the things you mention to be tested - sometimes it's like blood from a stone trying to get my GP to do a test! If you have any tips on how to convince them, let me know!

I take a daily multivits since T2 diagnosis- do you think that would be sufficient?

Do you think treating the thyroid issue might help with the blood sugar? My plan was to start on levothyroxine and see what the impact on blood glucose was before resigning myself to diabetes meds.

I can continue with low carb, exercise, calorie restriction - but I've been doing that since Feb and it has had no impact. It might have stopped things getting worse - hard to know.

In order to really look at your thyroid, and the other factor impacting on it's efficiency, these are the tests you need:

upload_2019-8-11_19-24-54.png

Unless your TSH is very wonky, an NHS will usually test your T4, but will rarely do T3. T3 is the most active thyroid hormone, so it is important to know the score for this.

Good luck with it all.

Sally_8873

If you are combining low carbing and calorie restriction, maybe this is your problem. Doing both the body is dumping hence why your bg is high. You exercise the body needs energy from somewhere, glycogen is dumped, I wouldn't be surprised its high afterwards. Another reason for DP
You need to decide which you want to follow, both low carb and Newcastle diet achieve the same goals, however with ND is on for short term, those on it go on to low carb.
Whether you like it or not, low carb works but not how you do it. It lowers bg, resolves DP, reduces fatty liver.

Seeing you don't like low carbing just do ND. Vegetables grown under are high in sugar, bare this in mind.

I'm not doing Newcastle, just gradual weight loss which started as a side effect of low carbing. The advice from Newcastle Uni is that gradual weight loss to lose 15% of original body mass can be just as effective as short term extreme dieting.

What is DP? I don't think I have fatty liver - all my liver enzymes are very low. Is there any other way to tell?

Are you saying that if I carry on like this, my bgs will fall after a period of being high?

I have no issue with low-carbing - I just don't need advice on how to do it. I already eat low carb. Thanks for your advice.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not doing Newcastle, just gradual weight loss which started as a side effect of low carbing. The advice from Newcastle Uni is that gradual weight loss to lose 15% of original body mass can be just as effective as short term extreme dieting.

What is DP? I don't think I have fatty liver - all my liver enzymes are very low. Is there any other way to tell?

Are you saying that if I carry on like this, my bgs will fall after a period of being high?

I have no issue with low-carbing - I just don't need advice on how to do it. I already eat low carb. Thanks for your advice.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html
DP is dawn phenomenon, it is where your liver dumps glucose to get you started for the day. Some have experienced high BG in the early hours of the morning or as soon as they get out of bed.
Could I also ask do you document everything - like blood glucose diary and a food diary to keep things on track? I know some T2s have experience something similar to you where the weight wouldn't shift despite low carbing, would weighing your food be an option? I know some low carb food items are quite moreish at a low weight content. For example chick peas, the tin states the carbs at 125g but when I weigh it to 50g, it's plenty to eat and very filling. We can over do low carb some times.

Sally_8873

I kept a food diary when I had a libre sensor on for a fortnight. Don't think I can bring myself to finger prick yet!

I'm losing weight easy peasy - but my bg doesn't come down. Lowest BG is 5.5 regardless of what I do - eat, fast, low carb, high carb, low fat, high fat, exercise, no exercise.

I can show you the graph - an almost perfect homeostasis between 5.5 and 7 except DP/ exercise when it goes up to 9 and when I eat it goes up to about 10/11.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Everyone, I was diagnosed diabetic in February HbA1c 51, weight 52.5kg BMI 22ish. Healthy in all other ways - except subclinical hypothyroidism.

My GP advised low- carb, I read about the Newcastle diet and decided to aim for reversal via gradual weight loss.

I lost 4kg quite quickly, modified my diet, did a lot of exercise. Was disappointed when my June HbA1c was still 51.

I bought a freestyle libre and lost a few more kg - now I fluctuate between 46 and 48kg (BMI < 20). But it seems to be my fasting glucose that just won't go down - solidly above 5.5 no matter what and on average around 6.5 mmol/L during the day. It's almost as if it looks like it's going below 5.5 my body won't let it - it starts rising again.

After food my glucose rises and then comes back down quickly if the food is carby and more slowly if not.

I will persist with weight loss if it will have an impact... But not sure it will.

Am I better off doing rapid weight loss via shakes? Or giving up entirely? Or persisting down to BMI of 18.5?

Is there anyone else like me out there? I'm south Asian btw. Don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe weight loss doesn't work for us?

Thanks in advance.
Out of interest, are you on metformin?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A friend of mine lost loads of weight by low carbing but kept hold of fruit for smoothies.
Fruit in excess can prevent fatty liver recovering.
Do you know if you hv fatty liver?

Sally_8873

A friend of mine lost loads of weight by low carbing but kept hold of fruit for smoothies.
Fruit in excess can prevent fatty liver recovering.
Do you know if you hv fatty liver?
Don't think I do - my liver enzymes are all at the low end of normal eg. ALT 13

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Don't think I do - my liver enzymes are all at the low end of normal eg. ALT 13
So my dietician is right that those not overweight don't get fatty liver due to their food choices.
I wish I could get mine in such good condition. Well done.