Around 10 Finger Pricks And No Blood!?

db1

I've just had this very frustrating moment where I could not test my Blood sugar, as no blood would come out :? Has this ever happened to anybody else before?

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter occasionally will have this problem. It's most notable in winter when her hands are cold. Try washing your hands under warm water, you can also try shaking them for a few seconds to get the blood moving. Otherwise maybe your lancet needs to be set to a deeper setting.

• Agree
Reactions: filly

minitata

Hi

Yes, I'm a type 2 and get this - I have to hold my hand downwards and massage towards the finger tip - after washing in hot water and drying vigorously. Sometimes, holding downwards and moving my hands as though drying them works too.

MTT

Sindri

I have a terrible time getting any blood for finger prick tests and usually end up with very bruised fingers, funny how no blood comes out but I get bruises. I sometimes get a little blood and then nothing and by the time I've got enough blood out the reading is high because it has been exposed to air for too long lol. Massaging towards the finger tip seems to work about 70% of the time for me.

Pneu

A couple of things you can try:

1.. Take the blood from your forearm doesn't have to be fingers... some meters have an attachment that lets you do this... *WORD OF WARNING* forearm blood can lag a little... if you feel low or are checking for a hypo use your fingers..

2.. Check your pricking to the right depth.. its often better to do one low depth prick and get blood than a load of shallow pricks and get nothing...

3.. Before you prick do some finger exercises to get the blood flowing

4.. Soak your hands in warm water.. you can do this in conjunction with washing before testing (don't use soap with sugar in!)... another method I used to use was rubbing my hands together but interweaving my fingers so the sides of each finger rubbed.. (hard to explain).. warmth would help the blood

Grazer

I get this all the time. My lancet is on the deepest setting, I wash in hot water, but nothing. I have to do the illegal squeeze half the time to get blood.
The other day I accidentally cut myself, and ran off to get my meter to take advantage of the copious supply of blood!
Malc

CantThinkOfAUsername

Get a better lancing device as some are absolutely useless. The one that came with my new meter was hopeless and I frequently had to do 3 finger pricks to get enough blood on the deepest setting.

I changed to a MultiClix and use 1.5 most of the time and get plenty of blood now :)

The Multiclix has 11 settings I believe so I have plenty of extra settings if they are ever needed :shock:

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
I get this a lot!
I do 4 tests per day and I have found that if I squeeze my finger for a few seconds before I prick my finger this usually helps with the blood flow.

Sometimes though they can be like blocks of ice, and testing my blood is like 'getting blood out of a stone' excuse the pun! :D

scni

always happens. if theres no blood after third go I usually try finger tip rather than side. has worked 100% of time!!

callie@13

I've just had this very frustrating moment where I could not test my Blood sugar, as no blood would come out :? Has this ever happened to anybody else before?
I get this all the time. My lancet is on the deepest setting, I wash in hot water, but nothing. I have to do the illegal squeeze half the time to get blood.
The other day I accidentally cut myself, and ran off to get my meter to take advantage of the copious supply of blood!
Malc
I will just play with my cat .He is kind of wild. If I can't get blood from the lancet, I will play with the cat until he bites me or scratches me and draws blood and I will test it that way. It has worked before. He has his rabies shots so I am protected.

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best tip I ever got was to prick, wait a few seconds, pull apart the skin slightly and the blood will flow. Works everytime.

M Rowe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)