Things affecting Blood Sugar Levels.

Top_Barman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all.

I've been T1D fo almost 40 years (20 years not well controlled), but now I have the Freestyle Libre, my control is improving.

I have noticed a couple of food items that seem to affect my Blood Sugars more than others.

I am on Fiasp insulin for bolus, and Lantus for Basal. I do not Low Carb, because I enjoy my food too much!!

I have recently reduced my intake of bread, as this gives me a double spike in blood sugar, as if I am not digesting it as fast as the insulin is active.

I have noticed that Bacon appears to give me a major problem in that 3 or 4 hours after eating, myblood sugar starts to rise to silly levels, and wondered if anyone else had a similar experience?

Anyone with any other foods that severely affect control?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

I've been T1D fo almost 40 years (20 years not well controlled), but now I have the Freestyle Libre, my control is improving.

I have noticed a couple of food items that seem to affect my Blood Sugars more than others.

I am on Fiasp insulin for bolus, and Lantus for Basal. I do not Low Carb, because I enjoy my food too much!!

I have recently reduced my intake of bread, as this gives me a double spike in blood sugar, as if I am not digesting it as fast as the insulin is active.

I have noticed that Bacon appears to give me a major problem in that 3 or 4 hours after eating, myblood sugar starts to rise to silly levels, and wondered if anyone else had a similar experience?

Hello, I was wondering if you know that protein does raise blood sugars for some type 1s and fat slows down the absorption, so once your insulin is up, the fatty bacon is still around so blood sugar goes up after.

Fat can have an effect on your blood glucose levels. Fat delays the rate at which the stomach empties, which slows down the absorption of glucose from digestion. This might sound like a good thing, but a high fat diet is not usually a healthy diet.

A high-fat meal can also make it more difficult for your insulin to work well, resulting in your blood-glucose level after your meal being higher than expected.

https://jdrf.org.uk/information-support/living-with-type-1-diabetes/everyday-life/food/

Reactions: Knikki and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi all.

So glad we are all so very different. Bacon does not raise my BGs at all :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Often do a split bolus if eating things that rise sugars higher than you expect them too. Have given up on pizza after too much frustration and many tears. Have even triple bolused to no avail, still rising hours after the yumdisciousness!!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always get a high blood sugar after a hypo, sure as eggs are eggs and night follows day. I don't correct at the next meal, but at the following one.
Stress, illness, driving, exercise, lack of exercise, high carb foods ... all tend to push my blood sugar too high.
A low will kick in at the end of a long walk, or half an hour after a swim, or when I've miscalculated the carbs I'm going to eat.