FG 7, FG always in 7s.

sheilaslims

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Walked 45 mins as advised, retested still 7. Tested after 2 hrs still 7. Tested after 18 hrs without food and now 6.3. Why is this? Makes me nervous to eat! I'm new to this

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walked 45 mins as advised, retested still 7. Tested after 2 hrs still 7. Tested after 18 hrs without food and now 6.3. Why is this? Makes me nervous to eat! I'm new to this
Your liver will release glucose to try to maintain a minimum level in your bloodstream despite exercise or fasting. Over time if you lower your average glucose level with a low carb diet, your liver will adjust to this new level. If you are starting out then testing just before meals and 2 hours later and reducing the carb content if there is more than a 2mmol/L increase is the best plan. Fasting levels will probably reduce some weeks or months later.

Reactions: ert

ShortStuff

Everyone is different, but most of us do well
when we drastically reduce carbs and exercise.

What are you eating? Maybe we can help you with that?

I ‘only’ walk, but usually an hour or two a day.

It seems for ME that I can lower my numbers with a low carb (circa 30g) diet, to get them in the pre diabetic range, but I need a good hour or two of walking to get them in the ‘normal range’ 45 minutes, for me, wouldn’t do it.

My body responds quite well to dropping numbers if I walk a lot. I’m in France at the moment and I’m allowing myself a bit of food I wouldn’t normally eat and although I’m getting high numbers (9-11’s) after, I seem able to walk them down. (Getting them in the first place is bad and I shouldn’t, but I’m choosing to enjoy things I don’t normally have while on holiday - personal choice and all that)

Part of the reason they’re going so high is my insulin resistance isn’t good again after leaping off the wagon earlier in the year, I’ve only been back on it about 15 weeks (and this is a definite two week holiday, NOT another leap off the wagon.)

Sometimes it just takes time and patience for the numbers to catch up!

As I said earlier, let us know what you’re eating and maybe we can help

And try walking more. Or HIT is good (lots online) and weights too - but walking is easy, free and convenient.

Do the right things and your meter will catch up!

Reactions: Prem51