New Junior Dr diabetes Handbook

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From the Diabetes Time - New Junior Dr Handbook for inpatients:
https://www.inpatientdiabetes.org.uk/insulin-and-insulin-safety

Take a look at the animation half way down.

I suppose it's good they are doing this. Unfortunately it is needed.
The insulins they mention Humulin I & Humulin S seem rather old fashioned, the computer generated voices seem rather low budget.
Your thoughts?

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking as a retired Ward Sister the trainee Drs start at the beginning as green as the driven snow the cirriculum is rolled out year to year updated sometimes , sometimes not ..but always using bog standard manual training in EVERYTHING! with bog standard manuals included . To be fair , it would cost a fortune to modernise and update every year, so these newbies rely on the nursing staff to teach them the finer points ...like newer insulins and their modus operande . Not perfect but learn they do...and the hard way we didnt take prisoners then and i guess not now either

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking as a retired Ward Sister the trainee Drs start at the beginning as green as the driven snow the cirriculum is rolled out year to year updated sometimes , sometimes not ..but always using bog standard manual training in EVERYTHING! with bog standard manuals included . To be fair , it would cost a fortune to modernise and update every year, so these newbies rely on the nursing staff to teach them the finer points ...like newer insulins and their modus operande . Not perfect but learn they do...and the hard way we didnt take prisoners then and i guess not now either
My ex was a nurse so I know about the August changeover - not a good time to go into hospital!
You are right about the cost of updating manuals, but this is a NEW handbook..

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can believe it ! New handbook out dated info inside some things never change.!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’m amazed! I got as far as the insulin profile chart and wondered how a new doctor was going to tell the difference between Lantus and Levemir. Surely it would have been possible to use a link to connect with the insulin manufacturers’ charts?
Is it a symptom of outsourcing to the lowest cost for creation of the resources? The different sections seem very varied in the amount and sophistication of detail given.
It left me wondering how the specific audience had been described to those who created it.