FreeStyle Libre in Spain

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
French pharmacy and they had a warning that sensors from other countries might not be compatible
Of course, that isn't an issue if you're using a phone instead of a reader
I use my phone. I got the information about the French readers from a Dutch Facebook group where people use them without problem so I'm willing to bet Spanish ones work fine too :)
That's a very useful tip for any questions about another country! Expats tend to have money too, so when they have diabetes they'll buy Libres :)
For now, I think I'll leave the scavenger hunt to my aunt, as they'll be sightseeing and visiting a lot of towns, so they'll see a lot of pharmacies. And she liked the idea of hunting for them!

I'll give you an update as soon as she finds out of course.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use my phone. I got the information about the French readers from a Dutch Facebook group where people use them without problem so I'm willing to bet Spanish ones work fine too :)
That's a very useful tip for any questions about another country! Expats tend to have money too, so when they have diabetes they'll buy Libres :)
For now, I think I'll leave the scavenger hunt to my aunt, as they'll be sightseeing and visiting a lot of towns, so they'll see a lot of pharmacies. And she liked the idea of hunting for them!

I'll give you an update as soon as she finds out of course.

My only concern about your aunt being on the hunt is, in my albeit no-horse town, I asked in a number of pharmacies (including the ASDA one) about Libres and none had heard of them, never mind supplied them.

Of course, whilst we have electrickery and running water here, we're not leading edge. I just worry of your autie is meeting with a similar situation on the other side of the counter, she may go up blind alley ways.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just worry of your autie is meeting with a similar situation on the other side of the counter, she may go up blind alley ways.
That's very friendly! I guess the worst that can happen is her not finding any sensors and I'll have to buy the more expensive ones. She loves walking around new places and meeting people everywhere, so blind alleyways are fine too as part of the adventure :)

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m new here. T2. I’m trying to message SaladDaze as I’m in Spain for info. on how much a Libre is here. And where to but it?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m new here. T2. I’m trying to message SaladDaze as I’m in Spain for info. on how much a Libre is here. And where to but it?
Hi'
You can tag someone so they'll see an alert when they next log in by putting @ before their name, like this:
Hi @SaladDaze , looks like someone wants to ask you something :)

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Spain is a bit strange. The health system is very paternalistic. I also have a clotting disorder, and I self monitor and dose it is VERY frowned upon by the docs over there. But I have found a friendly farmacia who will sell me Test strips. When do you need to know by, we go back early November and I’m perfectly happy to find out for you.

Reactions: Antje77