Not open for further replies.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The question also works in reverse.
As a T2 would you decide to inject insulin so that you could eat (more or less) anything on the menu?
I know at least one T2 who made that decision on diagnosis.
Test BG, calculate carbs in meal, inject.

No requirement to change lifestyle apart from insulin calculations.

I wouldn't because i hate needles and also am aware that hypos could affect my ability to drive.
However it does seem a valid choice.
Always assuming that you are not over producing insulin already, in which case I think it would make things worse not better.

The OP possibly made that decision.
However, not for me!

Isn’t that what the nhs has historically told type 2 to do? Eat as normal and when that causes high blood sugars (ultimately) take insulin?

And don’t the vast majority of type 2 over produce insulin already (at least in the earlier years til their exhausted, poor hardworking pancreas runs dry)? So it will be making those people worse......

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think maybe more people eat LCHF than strictly *need* to, but I think many do so because they like it. It’s a fairly easy diet to follow, both at home and eating out, and I think people find it tasty - so why not? It seems like LCHF gets discussed by some as a “must do”, but for many it seems like a “like to do.” So, awesome. If you don’t have to eat LCHF AND don’t want to then don’t.

The only thing I get irked about is people thinking there is only one way for everyone and assuming anyone not managing diabetes their way is not in control, not healthy, etc. Personal preference, age, cultural differences, other health concerns, etc matter and should not be dismissed.
Exactly. There is a compulsive fervour about going to the extreme end of the spectrum, when it isn’t always necessary to do that.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Exactly. There is a compulsive fervour about going to the extreme end of the spectrum, when it isn’t always necessary to do that.
It is more important imo that everyone is given a least a choice of using dietary interventions at diagnosis of Pre Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes. Whether someone thinks I personally go too far is immaterial because I am pro choice. When people say that moderate carbs are great then they also need to accept that some people make the choice to go lower carb for many reasons - just as many reasons as those who choose to use drug treatments do or those who choose to sit at moderate carb levels do.
I can see a case for lowering carbs and for moderate carbs but I see no case for anyone saying moderate carb levels are fine for everyone because obviously it is not.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If people eat to their meter then it will tell the individual how extreme or not they need to be.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is more important imo that everyone is given a least a choice of using dietary interventions at diagnosis of Pre Diabetes or Type 2 Diabetes. Whether someone thinks I personally go too far is immaterial because I am pro choice. When people say that moderate carbs are great then they also need to accept that some people make the choice to go lower carb for many reasons - just as many reasons as those who choose to use drug treatments do or those who choose to sit at moderate carb levels do.
I can see a case for lowering carbs and for moderate carbs but I see no case for anyone saying moderate carb levels are fine for everyone because obviously it is not.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s great to see those who elect to go moderately low carb being tolerated too. Excellent.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If people eat to their meter then it will tell the individual how extreme or not they need to be.
Yes. I can totally see why people eat to their meter. And a good thing that they do.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think maybe more people eat LCHF than strictly *need* to, but I think many do so because they like it.

Out of curiosity why do you think more are going lower than they need to? Based on what?

I’d suggest most of those that go keto which is what I assume you refer to do so with a meter and go as low as they need to to achieve the blood results they need. What is compulsive, fevoured or unnecessary in that? Some people might not need to but that’s not true for all.

Reactions: Guzzler

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn’t agree more. It’s great to see those who elect to go moderately low carb being tolerated too. Excellent.
I’d be shocked if it were otherwise.

Surely most will go either as far as required to achieve a result they are happy with or to the point they are happiest at all factors considered

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BGs are OK on 80 to 100g carbs a day. However to lose weight I need to do keto which for me is 25g or less.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My BGs are OK on 80 to 100g carbs a day. However to lose weight I need to do keto which for me is 25g or less.
Can you regulate your weight down by eating less fat?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can you regulate your weight down by eating less fat?
Fat does not make you fat. Higher carbs than that which your body can tolerate plus fats can make you gain weight.
Think insulin responses and this becomes clear.

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat does not make you fat. Higher carbs than that which your body can tolerate plus fats can make you gain weight.
Think insulin responses and this becomes clear.
That’s odd as there is a school of thought on here that says otherwise.

I refer to my increased fats as "balancing fats" - to balance out my intake, to prevent weight loss, without raising my blood sugars.

A very wise person I know reckons we moderate our carbs to satisy our blood glucose meters and we moderate our fats to satisfy the bathroom scales. It makes sense to me.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Preventing weight loss by protecting bodyfat stores. I do not see how you can miscronstrue DCUKs comment. Low carb to control bg but enough fats for satiety and for fuel.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Listlad, you seem to be looking for arguments.

The prevailing thinking on this thread has been for people to do what works for them.
Quoting people out of context, and implying some intolerant conspiracy is just trying to sow discord.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Preventing weight loss by protecting bodyfat stores. I do not see how you can miscronstrue DCUKs comment. Low carb to control bg but enough fats for satiety and for fuel.

“.... and we moderate our fats to satisfy the bathroom scales”

That reads that we adjust our fat intake to achieve gains / losses in weight.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Listlad, you seem to be looking for arguments.

The prevailing thinking on this thread has been for people to do what works for them.
Quoting people out of context, and implying some intolerant conspiracy is just trying to sow discord.
I am merely trying to resolve contradictory statements. That’s all.

I have a personal reason for that as my weight has stopped dropping. And I eat a lot of fat.

Not seeking arguments as you suggest.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am merely trying to resolve opposite statements. That’s all.

I have a personal reason for that as my weight has stopped dropping. And I eat a lot of fat.

Not seeking arguments as you suggest.

Well, you have3 variables you can play with. Protein, fat and carbs. If I were you (which I am obviously not) I would be combining rigorous testing with reducing one of those variables at a time - then you can find what works for you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
“.... and we moderate our fats to satisfy the bathroom scales”

That reads that we adjust our fat intake to achieve gains / losses in weight.
Not really if you put satiety into the equation. Is it actually physically possible to overeat on fats alone taking into account the very, very low insulin response to fats wrt to gaining bodyweight? Because we are all different whether we are aiming for weight loss, improved bg or both this can also change when we arrive at the state of satisfactory bodyweight and bg and then work to maintain. Which is exactly the theme of the OP.

Reactions: zand
Status
Not open for further replies.