Status
Not open for further replies.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, you have3 variables you can play with. Protein, fat and carbs. If I were you (which I am obviously not) I would be combining rigorous testing with reducing one of those variables at a time - then you can find what works for you.
My plan is to reduce fats if I find that my stagnation in weight loss continues. But I asked Zand to see how she might deal with weight regulation.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really if you put satiety into the equation. Is it actually physically possible to overeat on fats alone taking into account the very, very low insulin response to fats wrt to gaining bodyweight? Because we are all different whether we are aiming for weight loss, improved bg or both this can also change when we arrive at the state of satisfactory bodyweight and bg and then work to maintain. Which is exactly the theme of the OP.
I might choose to forego on satiety. I eat a lot.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I might choose to forego on satiety.
Why? If you are hungry it makes life more difficult. I was hungry this evening so had a coffee with cream. No carbs (well 1g at most) and have no hunger now. Also cutting calories can slow the metabolism.

Reactions: Evie-D and jjraak

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My plan is to reduce fats if I find that my stagnation in weight loss continues. But I asked Zand to see how she might deal with weight regulation.
I have followed low fat diets for years. They don't work long term for me. I have worked hard in the past few years to increase my calorie intake. If you have never tried to lose weight before then cutting calories by reducing fats may work for you. It does seem to work better for men than women as females have more complicated hormones.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have followed low fat diets for years. They don't work long term for me. I have worked hard in the past few years to increase my calorie intake. If you have never tried to lose weight before then cutting calories by reducing fats may work for you. It does seem to work better for men than women as females have more complicated hormones.
I see. I eat a lot of fat. Cream cheese, full fat milk, loads of double cream, Greek yogurt with the fat content, streaky bacon, fattier grades of mince etc etc. I eat tons of it.

I ideally need to get my bmi down a bit more.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I might choose to forego on satiety. I eat a lot.
To forego satiety is a sure way to failure. You may as well just use CICO.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I see. I eat a lot of fat. Cream cheese, full fat milk, loads of double cream, Greek yogurt with the fat content etc etc. I eat tons of it.

I ideally need to get my bmi down a bit more.
Has it occurred to you that your 'moderate' carb level may not be moderate enough, just a thought.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To forego satiety is a sure way to failure. You may as well just use CICO.
So at what point do you call satiety?

I think I overeat even now. So I have some wriggle room.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has it occurred to you that your 'moderate' carb level may not be moderate enough, just a thought.
I have been losing weight at 2 kilos a month since February.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have been losing weight at 2 kilos a month since February.
People often stall, the reasons are sometimes unclear. Weightloss is about carbs and about insulin, you do the maths.
What is clear is that you are free to choose which macro to adjust.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
People often stall, the reasons are sometimes unclear. Weightloss is about carbs and about insulin, you do the maths.
What is clear is that you are free to choose which macro to adjust.
I appreciate your help. It does however clash a little with other forum opinion. So my plan is to reduce my fat intake, not to low levels, but to not quite so high levels. I get through a lot of double cream so I can afford to adjust down a little there and see what happens. If it doesn’t work I will think again.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad Just to point out many of us gained weight long before we were diagnosed as diabetic or prediabetic because of our faulty carb regulation. Our blood sugars might have been under control (just) by massive amounts of insulin being pumped out. That same insulin was causing the weight gain.

It’s worth considering that your faulty carb regulation may be under control enough to be getting normal bloods but behind the scenes it might be because you are utilising huge amounts of insulin to do so.

If cutting the fats doesn’t work to drop the weight further then carbs (therefore insulin) would seem a reasonable way forward.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To get back to @achyut1939 's original post. I think he is probably doing the right thing for himself, if it isn't broke don't fix it, but that doesn't translate to the right solution for everyone else.
I can't think of a better way of putting this but the long term consequences are not so long term for him as they are for some of our younger members. Also we have the dietary choices that he may not have. Changing his diet of rice and vegetables may well have religious, cultural or just a lifetime of familiarity to contend with.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So at what point do you call satiety?

I think I overeat even now. So I have some wriggle room.
Satisfied but not overfull. It can take some people a while to 'get it'.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've just spent two days with a newly widowed friend who is younger than me but a poorly controlled T2. She has been T2 for much longer than me, so from the 'bad old days' when most doctors had been told T2 was a progressive disease for many of us.
I dressed the open ulcers on her foot, which has already had one toe amputated, after helping her shower because apart from neuropathy she can't see well enough to risk it on her own.

The OP here is actually low carb, as low carb is usually defined for T2 as below 130g of carbs a day - this is not a 'normal' western diet by most standards - but still they are (according to their own posts) experiencing lows and highs, and it is often the swings that do some of the damage.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
To get back to @achyut1939 's original post. I think he is probably doing the right thing for himself, if it isn't broke don't fix it, but that doesn't translate to the right solution for everyone else.
I can't think of a better way of putting this but the long term consequences are not so long term for him as they are for some of our younger members. Also we have the dietary choices that he may not have. Changing his diet of rice and vegetables may well have religious, cultural or just a lifetime of familiarity to contend with.

The problem I see is there isn't much to show that it isn't broken. Wildly fluctuating BG levels from high to low shows no stability. From the outside looking in, (Which is what we are all doing) that looks like it needs fixing to me. Apparently, from other posts he has made, his doctor isn't concerned with him hitting highs of 15... so perhaps there are a few issues that could be addressed.

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, you have3 variables you can play with. Protein, fat and carbs. If I were you (which I am obviously not) I would be combining rigorous testing with reducing one of those variables at a time - then you can find what works for you.
I would imagine there is another variable and that is activity levels.

Reactions: millenium

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
If you are a type 2 diabetic, you can eat your normal daily diet, which you are accustomed. It is not necessary to eat LCHF diet. However, you should control the portion size of your diet to less than 120 carbs per day, and take insulin/medicines of required dosage. This is my personal opinion only. I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. I eat cooked rice-vegetable diet every day limiting it to 120 carbs per day. I take 30/70 premixed insulin 40 units before breakfast, and 20 units before dinner. My bg levels are under control, except for occasional hypers, and hypos. I do not have any diabetic complications till now. I would like to invite the opinion/comments of the other members on this.

Objectives to achieve defines the paths to be selected.
On this forum we have seen that to manage DT2 there have been various paths that people have selected and many have been successful in meeting there objectives.

In your case you are satisfied with medication with normal diet so if that keeps you happy thats fine, but not for many who want to go back to medication free, self controlled life.

As we know two important component to control the excess of Glucose in body is, either to two cut down the intakes or if your body is capable of burning out the Glucose then workout to burn it out.
Later being slightly high hill task with not practical for many, in such cases Low Carb atleast opens up the path on intakes channel to meet the objectives. Hence there are plenty of success stories of meeting objectives on LCHF diets and thus people recommending here.

Having said that I believe everyone has to select his path based on objectives and it should have some short of balance between intakes as well as burning out the excess. Rather than relying on only single channel method.

Status
Not open for further replies.