High readings on holiday

Sinead Byrne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m on holiday and I can not get my bloods down what so ever, any advice on what to do?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m on holiday and I can not get my bloods down what so ever, any advice on what to do?
Hello, welcome!
Have you checked your insulin? was it stored properly? Heat has an affect on insulin and makes it unusable.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't panic and stack up insulin doses but do some trouble shooting:
Are you testing with clean fingers and do you feel 'high' (thirsty, blurry vision, urinary ketones etc.)? Ketoacidosis has to be taken very seriously but you will know if you're that ill).
Can you change the pen cartridge you are using for a suitably chilled fresh vial?
Also change your needle as blunt ones can cause problems.
Are you eating very differently? Have you got a virus coming on or are you stressed/sleeping badly?
Hope by the time you get this things will have resolved themselves and you can go back to enjoying your holiday.

Sinead Byrne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, welcome!
Have you checked your insulin? was it stored properly? Heat has an affect on insulin and makes it unusable.

Yes insulin is in fridge and was transported in the special cold insulin cases with an icepack but thank you for suggesting

Sinead Byrne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't panic and stack up insulin doses but do some trouble shooting:
Are you testing with clean fingers and do you feel 'high' (thirsty, blurry vision, urinary ketones etc.)? Ketoacidosis has to be taken very seriously but you will know if you're that ill).
Can you change the pen cartridge you are using for a suitably chilled fresh vial?
Also change your needle as blunt ones can cause problems.
Are you eating very differently? Have you got a virus coming on or are you stressed/sleeping badly?
Hope by the time you get this things will have resolved themselves and you can go back to enjoying your holiday.

Yes hands all clean etc I’m actually on a pump and all vials for that are good. Yeah I am snacking more than I would be at home but I’m giving insulin everytime I snack so I’m not sure, thank you

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In York and over 12 peaking at 17.3. Only 21 carbs all day. Walked 10,000 plus steps. Go figure! I’m flummoxed!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes hands all clean etc I’m actually on a pump and all vials for that are good. Yeah I am snacking more than I would be at home but I’m giving insulin everytime I snack so I’m not sure, thank you
Am on a pump too so always change the canula/infusion set when this happens. Try laying off snacking to see if this brings you into a normal pattern again. I often have no clue why blood sugars go high and insulin won't touch the sides! Usually it is an undetected infection or hormones but when you're feeling grotty from high bgs it is so hard to piece it together. Take care!

Reactions: Sinead Byrne

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was the same when i was away i know it sounds daft but drinking loads of water helped me as well as corrections just keep an eye on your ketones .hope it settles for you xx