Forxiga - possible side effects?

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

I am type 2 and have been on metformin for a couple of years now. About three months ago my sugars were not coming down as my diabetic nurse wanted and she prescribed the additional 10ml forixiga per day on top of the metformin. All seemed to be going well and then about a month ago I started to get pains in my chest, shoulders, lower back, cramps in my legs. I have previously had breast cancer and was referred back to the consultant for chest x rays and blood tests. All came back fine but I continue to get the pains and wondered if this might be connnected to the new tablets. Has anyone else had this problem? Im now worried sick about these pains. Thanks you anyone that can help me

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I am type 2 and have been on metformin for a couple of years now. About three months ago my sugars were not coming down as my diabetic nurse wanted and she prescribed the additional 10ml forixiga per day on top of the metformin. All seemed to be going well and then about a month ago I started to get pains in my chest, shoulders, lower back, cramps in my legs. I have previously had breast cancer and was referred back to the consultant for chest x rays and blood tests. All came back fine but I continue to get the pains and wondered if this might be connnected to the new tablets. Has anyone else had this problem? Im now worried sick about these pains. Thanks you anyone that can help me

Hello there @mummycaz , I'm sorry you seem to be having these issues at the moment. I haven't taken either of the meds you mention and I can't seem to recall anyone having those sorts of issues from them.

Do you take any other medication for anyting else? Many people with diabetes also take a statin. Sometimes statins can lead to aches and pains.

Hopefully others will be along shortly with better wisdom than I can offer you.

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello there @mummycaz , I'm sorry you seem to be having these issues at the moment. I haven't taken either of the meds you mention and I can't seem to recall anyone having those sorts of issues from them.

Do you take any other medication for anyting else? Many people with diabetes also take a statin. Sometimes statins can lead to aches and pains.

Hopefully others will be along shortly with better wisdom than I can offer you.

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take cholesterol and blood pressure tablets but apparently that’s very often the case for type 2 diabetics. My doctor also hadn’t heard of any of these issues in anyone else but she said let’s leave off the florxiga for a month and see if it makes any difference. I guess I was just hoping someone else might have similar symptoms and I wouldn’t feel so scared about what’s happening to me

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I take cholesterol and blood pressure tablets but apparently that’s very often the case for type 2 diabetics. My doctor also hadn’t heard of any of these issues in anyone else but she said let’s leave off the florxiga for a month and see if it makes any difference. I guess I was just hoping someone else might have similar symptoms and I wouldn’t feel so scared about what’s happening to me

If the "cholesterol tablets" are statins then they are a prime candidate for muscle pains.
What is the name of the tablet, what is the strength, and how long have you been taking it?

Forxiga works by stopping your kidneys reabsorbing sugar which has been filtered out from your blood so that you flush it out in your urine.

This may mean you find yourself peeing more, which in turn means you may have to drink more fluids and perhaps consider taking in more salts if you end up peeing those out as well. However this is just a guess, not a medical opinion!

So I would suspect the statins but also think about what might have changed since you started taking the Forxiga.

It could also be something else entirely unrelated to the tablets, of course.

mummycaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on statins for a very short time but they made me feel really bad. Lots of pain in my body so I was taken off them. Very very similar to how I feel now.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I was on statins for a very short time but they made me feel really bad. Lots of pain in my body so I was taken off them. Very very similar to how I feel now.

What are the "cholesterol pills" you mentioned, then?