Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Afternoon friends,

Thank you all so much :) Diabetes spent the day screaming yesterday and we landed on 6.1 :) I suspect that I will need to produce a few questions and my reasoning for it but with the way my dsn said it, it sounds like I'm joining a boot camp (insulin pump clinic) and I have to attend all appointments and then towards the end they'll set me up. Could I also ask has anyone had any weight difficulties with a pump? I read it was one of the disadvantages with a pump. But I was thinking that a pump is just another way to administrate insulin, surely the way I'm doing things now wouldn't cause a weight issue on a pump.

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To add to the "how long does it take to overcome a missed basal", I experienced kind of the opposite - whilst my pump failed, I returned to Lantus. When my replacement pump arrived, I wanted to use it straight away. This was about 16 hours after I last took Lantus so there was an "official" 8 hour overlap of pump basal and Lantus basal. Not surprisingly, my BG went low.
What was a little more surprising was that I was low (but not as low) for the next 48 hours.
This made me think there is an underlying low level of slow acting insulin in my body for about 48 hours.
So, if you miss the slow acting insulin, you probably have less of it for the next 48 to 72 hours which will result in a higher BG for that long.
I hope that makes sense - I can picture a graph in my head which explains it.
it makes sense to me thanks helen numbers seem to be settling slightly now after lots of corrections i didnt do extra basal just fiasp hopefully by tomorrow everything should be back to normal ;)

Reactions: Cumberland

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you mean?
- The pump being too heavy? No problem. Children use insulin pumps and cope with the weight.
- Pumps not suitable for someone who is heavier? Not an issue for me but the only problem I can see there is about insulin dose. Typically, a pump holds 200 units of insulin which is used for basal and bolus and should last 3 days. Heavier people, often, need more insulin but 200 units over 3 days is enough for most people. I think there are some pumps with 300 unit cartridges.
- Pumps making you put on weight? The only thing I have read/heard about this is that it is easier to snack because it is easier to dose when you only have to press a few buttons compared to getting your pen out, putting a needle on it, calculating the dose, dialling up the dose and injecting.
No, sorry I meant weight gain? :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard about dosing for snacks from a touch of a button. There wasn't much on social media about any weight gain with a pump, just how fantastic it is. :hilarious:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings fellow prickers and pumpers, hope you are all well

Not been on for a while, did you miss me:):):)

Been away to Outer Hebrides for 5 days and pretty much won a watch with the weather. Saturday in particular was stunning, glorious sunshine, clear blue skies and scenery that is beyond outstanding

Did a fair bit of walking in very remote areas, so tend to run my BG that bit higher. Bloods overall were a PITA, lots of highs and lows, but where i was i would not take any risks going low. Chances are no one would see me all day.

i found even when dropping Basal by around 40% my BG were still nose diving even though walk was very gentle.

Got my first appointment with new doctor in 2 weeks, my first since i got my pump, so better behave for next few weeks:angelic::angelic:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also wanted to say my boyfriend has been offered a job, he'll be working in about a week. :) I'm so excited for him.

Reactions: becca59

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again friends, I partially dislike selling things now. I sold a very good condition, slightly faded in colour Fjallraven laptop back. Which retails for £95 and it is authentic and not the horrible looking fakes. I sold it for £68 including second class tracked and signed for delivery. She received it today and said she didn't realised how faded it was and wants £15 refund and keep the item. Like how is that fair on me? :( Paypal have kept that payment on hold for few days now, so I can't refund her and get her to delivery back to me. But anyway, diabetes has been okay this afternoon and I'm quite hungry and frustrated.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@MeiChanski great news on the bf having a job.

Regarding the bag did buyer see a pic of it? If so say she saw it. If not weigh up is the hassle worth 15 quid.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a pneumonia slayer, I'm a carb killer, keytones killer,
why Aint I in jail. Lol
Screenshot_20190911_215048.jpeg

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski great news on the bf having a job.

Regarding the bag did buyer see a pic of it? If so say she saw it. If not weigh up is the hassle worth 15 quid.
Thank you, I’m very excited to see him being accepted into a role that he enjoys :)
I uploaded images and stated the colour was faded in areas where the bag creased. She was worried about the authenticity and I offered to show more images of the item but she said no.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m rather sad that the buyer isn’t happy about the item but at the same time she wants to keep it. While my boyfriend has a job waiting for him, I’m currently still hanging around in mid air. I’m selling stuff not because I want to sell it, I’m selling it just so my bf and I have a bit of money for food or petrol. Also some money for books that I had my eyes on and some insulin pump accessories and extra plasters, wipes etc. I hate to be the one that receives my pump and not have anything for it. I’m very careful with my phone etc.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I ask how bad is the scarring with an insulin pump? I’ve been scarred a few times by my libre sensor, like a few beautiful dark marks and it can easily be mistaken for a mole. I know certain infusion sets do more damage than others?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand the marks @MeiChanski my Libre marks last weeks. Some of them months. It makes placing the new ones difficult. I am putting 4 layers of Cavilon under each one after being unable to wear them straight onto the skin. But you can still see where they where.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like scarring from where the cannula has pierced our skin. I guess certain people are prone to leaving scars more than others. I scar pretty easily if I injured myself so no doubt about libre and future pump scars.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning dear friends,
This morning isn’t going too great, I was greeted by an old friend, hypo. 3.7 on my blood meter and 3.8 on my libre. I was also fighting last night too and I have also reduced Tresiba so I’m waiting for that to take effect. Unfortunately I won’t be going to my interview and I’m annoyed that their email didn’t leave a number or email to contact them directly. I don’t want to be seen as rude :( I’ll figure out the whole job thing later but I must apply for college later today or tomorrow. Apprenticeship hasn’t replied back to me so I will go for college first.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@MeiChanski the thing with recruitment (as someone on the management side) is it takes time all round.
First we advertise the role and have to give time for people to see it.
Then we have to decide who is worth interviewing.
Then find dates to interview. Do the interview (and maybe second interviews).
Then offer and wait and see if they accept - depending on seniority there may be negotiations.
It takes Forever.

Hope you get out of the hypo and to interview in time or that you hear something positive soon!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@helensaramay you can invent the story. My uncle (born after WWII) convinced his kids that his falling over as a child scar was a bullet wound from war service.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
MORNING y'all

@MeiChanski with regards to the bag on Ebay as long as you described the fading and provided photos of the fading then PayPal will be ok with you. They hold bag the money as soon as their is a dispute, then check both sides of the dispute and rule on there findings......scarring from the canula? not noticed any so far, the canula and insertion needle are so small....similar to the needles on the pens you use.