What's happening to my eyes

Kevmawr

Hi all,

Been type 2 diagnosed for 2 years. My HBA1C was 97 on my latest check. Usual blurry eyes and peeing all night but no other symptoms.
10 days ago I stopped all carbs and sugar.
But in the last 7 days my eyesight has progressively got worse in dramatic fashion.
Cant see my texts to start with and by now the dash and radio on the car has gone the same way. I am an ultrasonographer and going into work today hoping I can see the screen without glasses. Never needed glasses to do my job. Opticians booked but wondered if eyesight going bad so quickly is a result of changing sugar fluid in my eye lens and it has not had a chance to rebalance? Not asking for diagnosis but merely asking if anyone had same thing and what reason was. Cheers, Kev

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Answer? YES, emphatic. Eyes change quickly with correction of blood sugars. Do not waste money on new prescriptions and just buy el cheapo specs as they commence to settle down ...

That is an absolute fact

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd definitely attend your opticians appointment despite the differing opinions you will get from members

I talk from experience and while they say not to go to the opticians I did and less than a month after I was diagnosed Type 1 I was diagnosed with diabetic macular oedema which I have had to have numerous eye injections for, if I'd listened to the advice others seem to give it and not gone it would've been much worse

I'm not saying that's what it is, just better to be safe than sorry
xx

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Generally our advice is to go see your optician but don't spend money on new specs. If you can manage with the cheapo off the shelf ones use them until they settle.

Reactions: donnellysdogs
D

Deleted member 308541

I am an ultra sonographer and going into work today hoping I can see the screen without glasses.
I hope you get your eyes sorted very quick, as I would be very worried about messing up some ones echo cardiogram etc...

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your Hba1c is pretty high.

Mine was also high and I had the same symptoms - Thirsty and peeing a lot

As my sugars came down, my eyesight became very blurry. But they have settled down now and I am sure that yours will.

Good Luck.

Reactions: Kevmawr
M

Member496333

As others have said, it is probably just your eyes adjusting, but if you are concerned then you should seek medical assistance for peace of mind. Rapidly falling glucose after many years of saturation can cause or exasperate retinopathy and oedema. Not wishing to cause undue alarm, but in my opinion you would be well advised to seek professional advice. Don't take any chances with eyes.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd definitely attend your opticians appointment despite the differing opinions you will get from members

I talk from experience and while they say not to go to the opticians I did and less than a month after I was diagnosed Type 1 I was diagnosed with diabetic macular oedema which I have had to have numerous eye injections for, if I'd listened to the advice others seem to give it and not gone it would've been much worse

xx
i agree have an eye test but when mine were tested my optician said when your sugars are down and stable your eyes will return to normal and use the cheap reading specs till then ...back to normal in about three weeks...

Reactions: Kevmawr and Paulm80

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i agree have an eye test but when mine were tested my optician said when your sugars are down and stable your eyes will return to normal and use the cheap reading specs till then ...back to normal in about three weeks...
yeah and that's great for those that get that news but after my own problems its always best to go and get checked out xx

Kevmawr

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the feedback.
Already booked opticians.
They agreed it was drastic change in dietary regime but also found a developing cataract in my right eye which they say was diabetes induced.
Appreciate the comments
Big thanks
Kev
Answer? YES, emphatic. Eyes change quickly with correction of blood sugars. Do not waste money on new prescriptions and just buy el cheapo specs as they commence to settle down ...

That is an absolute fact

Kevmawr

Thanks Kay,
Big change in sugar levels was to blame but found cataract. At least I know now.
Really appreciate the time you took to comment.

xx

Reactions: kaylz91

Kevmawr

Fortunately I smash kidney stones. I was actually better than average even though past week has been diabolical. In 12 days I've lost a stone too ! Keto way forward.
Big thanks
I hope you get your eyes sorted very quick, as I would be very worried about messing up some ones echo cardiogram etc...

Kevmawr

Thank you. Very comforting to know.
Kev
Your Hba1c is pretty high.

Mine was also high and I had the same symptoms - Thirsty and peeing a lot

As my sugars came down, my eyesight became very blurry. But they have settled down now and I am sure that yours will.

Good Luck.

Kevmawr

Appreciate it Jim.
No retinopathy but did find cataract.
Glad I went today.
Cheers
Kev
As others have said, it is probably just your eyes adjusting, but if you are concerned then you should seek medical assistance for peace of mind. Rapidly falling glucose after many years of saturation can cause or exasperate retinopathy and oedema. Not wishing to cause undue alarm, but in my opinion you would be well advised to seek professional advice. Don't take any chances with eyes.

Kevmawr

Many thanks
Really appreciate your comments.
Comforting.
Kev

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If.you have a good optician hang on to them some just want to sell you specs , mine really looks after me ,he advised me to go to the GP because I had a spot on my nose which proved to be a skin cancer ,and also had a concern about a flashing aura which proved to be an aural migraine but I had a full hospital check to make sure that I wasn't having mini strokes . I forgive him for my two hospital visits !!!! So glad to be well looked after
Carol

Kevmawr

Big thanks for your feedback Carty.
Will monitor things closely.
Going back to get field tests now.
Optician agreed it was likely to be big step in diet. I went on Keto 2 weeks ago and already lost 1 stone and my daily bloods have gone from 26.5 to 6.5mm/l
This certainly no destination and a way of life.
I dont drink or smoke and now I have to eat healthily. Cant say I'm enjoying it if I'm honest but no choice now.
Thanks for your comments.
Kev
If.you have a good optician hang on to them some just want to sell you specs , mine really looks after me ,he advised me to go to the GP because I had a spot on my nose which proved to be a skin cancer ,and also had a concern about a flashing aura which proved to be an aural migraine but I had a full hospital check to make sure that I wasn't having mini strokes . I forgive him for my two hospital visits !!!! So glad to be well looked after
Carol

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the feedback.
Already booked opticians.
They agreed it was drastic change in dietary regime but also found a developing cataract in my right eye which they say was diabetes induced.
Appreciate the comments
Big thanks
Kev

No worries mate .... glad you had it checked