Just been prescribed new meds.

Deborahb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise for the point of exercise...
I had been having good numbers on the low carb for one month then it all changed and went very high I am waiting for a referral to diabetic clinic and have been put on Gliclazide 60mg MR. plus the metformin I was on already.

Moved by mod, at Deborah’s request, to her own thread.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Deborah,

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?
Are you worries about the new medication?
And are you testing your blood glucose?

Reactions: EllieM

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Deborah,

That sounds very stressful. You must be feeling overwhelmed.

How can we help?

Reactions: EllieM

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Deborahb they may want to monitor you closer. Have you other medical conditions like hypothyroidism or condition which meds might be conflicting with keeping your bgs down? "e.g Asthma inhalers etc or IBS medication.

Deborahb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Deborah,

That sounds very stressful. You must be feeling overwhelmed.

How can we help?
I just feel overwhelmed. I barely eat then I have high blood sugar. I used to be on 1000mg. or metformin 2 x a day and it doesn't do anything now in fact it is hard to understand why but this morning I got up at 7am and tested and I was 8.0 so I decided to wait a bit before eating breakfast and take my metformin and gliclazide and give it a chance to work. At 8am I tested only to find I am 9.8 so I find this confusing as it did not work this way before for me. Yes mostly I am overwhelmed. I am burned out. I feel like I have no energy! I am not on anything new otherwise and nothing like inhalers or meds for IBS. Thanks for any help!

Deborahb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Deborah,

Was there anything in particular you wanted to know?
Are you worries about the new medication?
And are you testing your blood glucose?
I am testing my blood sugars more than I ever did in my life. I test at least 10 times a day. I am doing this to try and get a handle on what is going on. My fingers are getting very sore!
I was worried about the medication that I would go low before but now after taking it a few days I am puzzled why I am still high and it appears not to work! Has anyone reached a point like this where everything that would work before just doesn't anymore?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just feel overwhelmed. I barely eat then I have high blood sugar. I used to be on 1000mg. or metformin 2 x a day and it doesn't do anything now in fact it is hard to understand why but this morning I got up at 7am and tested and I was 8.0 so I decided to wait a bit before eating breakfast and take my metformin and gliclazide and give it a chance to work. At 8am I tested only to find I am 9.8 so I find this confusing as it did not work this way before for me. Yes mostly I am overwhelmed. I am burned out. I feel like I have no energy! I am not on anything new otherwise and nothing like inhalers or meds for IBS. Thanks for any help!

What did you have for breakfast?

Deborahb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I was afraid to eat very much and waited so long I was starving so I had an egg (fried) and one piece of buttered whole-wheat toast with large cup of coffee.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what your blood glucose was before breakfast?
And do you normally get a similar rise from a slice of toast if you don’t eat it for breakfast?

There are a few things that can screw up blood glucose in the morning, and make it rise.
Stress, dawn phenomenon, carb intake, tiredness, can all factor in.

In case you haven’t heard of it before, this is dawn phenomenon
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html

Deborahb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you know what your blood glucose was before breakfast?
And do you normally get a similar rise from a slice of toast if you don’t eat it for breakfast?

There are a few things that can screw up blood glucose in the morning, and make it rise.
Stress, dawn phenomenon, carb intake, tiredness, can all factor in.

In case you haven’t heard of it before, this is dawn phenomenon
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/dawn-phenomenon.html
I was around 8 when I first got up then took meds and went up to 9.8 this has only been occurring for about a month. I find it so confusing!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was around 8 when I first got up then took meds and went up to 9.8 this has only been occurring for about a month. I find it so confusing!

Well, a rise from 8 to 9.8 is not a big one.

It is often quoted on the forum that we T2s should aim to keep our bg rises from food at no more than 2mmol/l at 2 hours after food. So you are on target there, even if the starting point is higher than ‘normal’.

Of course, whether you would keep to that without the gliclazide, is another question.
Also, what would happen if you didn’t have the bread, or the gliclazide might be an interesting experiment.

I gave up bread years ago. Also rice, pasta, and all the major carbs. Sometimes still have tiny portions of potato (think 5 chips ;) ). It was just sooo much simpler and easier than watching my blood glucose lurch about like a rollercoaster. The next step would have been higher readings and medication, so I reduced the carbs instead.

Deborahb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well actually I hadn’t eaten yet it just went up from 8-9.8 before eating. I already eat moderately low carb with one slice of bread a day. I could go more extreme if I thought it might help I guess the problem I seem to be having is that my sugars are not making sense to me now before I would know OK you ate this so you can expect to go up ....but now I’m going up without doing anythingI appreciate all your tips!! Have a great Sunday!