Considering going gluten and dairy free

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi considering giving up gluten and dairy for my health ? Don’t know where to start has amoyone done this that has any tips or a shopping list or any advice/tips

I want to improve my health
29years old Type1 diabetic 17+years with few complications .

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi considering giving up gluten and dairy for my health ? Don’t know where to start has amoyone done this that has any tips or a shopping list or any advice/tips

I want to improve my health
29years old Type1 diabetic 17+years with few complications .

Sarahm723, in responding, allow me to position my own situation here.

I was diagnosed T2 in 2013, but have had non-diabetic A1cs for all but the diagnostic tests. I achieved my remission/functional cure, or whatever you choose to call it, by reducing the level of carbs in my eating regime, and maintaining it there. I have some wonky metabolic issues going on, although at this stage despite a slew of autoimmune (AI) conditions on both sides of my family, my Endo told me to go gluten-free on the basis he is astonished he can't find any AI conditions in my life.

My initial response was it'd be a dawdle, as I was low carbing anyway, but it has been a bit more complex that that. Gluten free eating brings label reading to a new level. That pesky gluten gets everywhere! That said, I feel, generally, very well living GF, but my sensitivity to gluten has increased, so when I do ingest some, by mistake, I know all about it.

Having gone GF, dairy-free has been suggested a number of times, but I have so far resisted that, as I'd hate to give up my yoghurt and I avoid soya products due to a wonky thyroid.

If you are considering it, then like any change in lifestyle, you need to tool up with plenty test strips and insulin. I would think the same label reading, blood testing and insulin adjusting would be critical there too. Forgive me for stating the obvious, but changes to your dietary regime have the potential to alter your body's reactions to your usual lifestyle, and obviously you must stay safe.

@Robinredbreast is coeliac, so she is obviously a gluten free ninja. There are a few others following a GF lifestyle on here, but for right now, my mind has gone blank.