I am over reacting?

simonr101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know what it's like being diabetic but really have not got a clue.
Sorry back story:Had to take a day off work this last week. Has been up all night visiting the bathroom every 20 minutes or so, then had a double leg cramp, first one then an hour or so later the other one. I'm a school teacher and I knew that if I went into work the way I was feeling it would not have been good.
Went in the next day and had to have a full "back to work" interview, this is basically because I am also battling depression and anxiety and had a lot of time off over the last year.
During the interview the comment was thrown out " many people are living successfully with diabetes". At the time I left it as I do have a bit of a tendency to over react. But now I'm thinking, ***?
There are mornings when I can just about get up, feel like I am coming out of an anesthetic. I use the Freestyle Libre and Miaomiao with a smart watch (all self funding) so I can make sure I don't hypo in front of a class. In fact in the last year I have had two bad turns where I asked for help. Both of which ended up with me sitting in the staff room unresponsive for between 30 and 50 minutes, I then went home. Both of these were written down as caused by depression, even when I corrected them nothing was changed. The other day during a meeting my alarms were going off and I ended the meeting with a reading of 2.8.
Just how do you make people understand? How do you make people realise what you go through? Especially when it is clear that the person in control has made it quiet clear that we will never be on a "friendly" level of professional relationship.
I am now due to have my 6 monthly blood test done, so that's an over night fast, which means I will need to come in late. I just don't know what to do. I know I am entitled (hate that term) to take the time off but feel like I am under the microscope all the time.

Sorry for this but have no one else that I can talk to.

simonr101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know what it's like being diabetic but really have not got a clue.
What medication are you on that is giving you these hypos?

My medication is 500mg slow release metforn one morning, one at night. Not been getting hypos very often as I try to limit my carb in take. I'm using low carb bread for my lunch as I usually only get time to snatch a bite at lunch. Many of the days I have a full day of teaching, breaks are usually used setting up for the next lesson.

@helensaramay
I've set my alarms at 5.1 so I can react to going low. I can usually sneak a jelly baby or 2 when the alarm goes off, in the past I would tell my students that I am type 2 diabetic but since there have been complaints about that I don't anymore, also I can't have my medical tattoo on display. At the end of the meeting I said to my boss, "I am really low" this was interpreted as meaning depressed, even though I tried to explain, it fell on deaf ears. I will have a read of that link you posted. Thanks

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds as if at the very least you need to have a productive meeting with your immediate boss wherein you clarify that you are living with type 1 diabetes, a condition that takes some adjusting to but which you are obviously trying hard to get on top of e.g. self funding of the tech.
You should outline what reasonable steps you are taking to make time off work minimal e.g. getting regular (bi annual I guess?) blood tests and having glucose available to you in the classroom and staff room and/or getting your basal insulin levels as good as possible will in the long term help you remain healthy and minimise which are proving debilitating psychologically as well as physically.
It may be useful to indicate that you are very keen to manage your condition well and appreciate the understanding of management whilst you adjust to your condition.
In other words be open about what type 1 entails whilst remaining, or appearing, positive about things improving whilst being clear about what you need in terms of professional support. Ensure your comments are documented.
We really need teachers so I hope that your manager isn't trying to make your career difficult. I feel you'll need the support of those around you if your episodes of depression/stress linked to the isolation of having a demanding health condition are to be overcome.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My medication is 500mg slow release metforn one morning, one at night. Not been getting hypos very often as I try to limit my carb in take. I'm using low carb bread for my lunch as I usually only get time to snatch a bite at lunch. Many of the days I have a full day of teaching, breaks are usually used setting up for the next lesson.
Was your 2.8 reading from the Libre?
Does it often read low (do you calibrate with finger prick tests?).
Sounds like you should consider asking to come off medication if 2 SR met are taking you that low?

simonr101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It sounds as if at the very least you need to have a productive meeting with your immediate boss wherein you clarify that you are living with type 1 diabetes, a condition that takes some adjusting to but which you are obviously trying hard to get on top of e.g. self funding of the tech.
You should outline what reasonable steps you are taking to make time off work minimal e.g. getting regular (bi annual I guess?) blood tests and having glucose available to you in the classroom and staff room and/or getting your basal insulin levels as good as possible will in the long term help you remain healthy and minimise which are proving debilitating psychologically as well as physically.
It may be useful to indicate that you are very keen to manage your condition well and appreciate the understanding of management whilst you adjust to your condition.
In other words be open about what type 1 entails whilst remaining, or appearing, positive about things improving whilst being clear about what you need in terms of professional support. Ensure your comments are documented.
We really need teachers so I hope that your manager isn't trying to make your career difficult. I feel you'll need the support of those around you if your episodes of depression/stress linked to the isolation of having a demanding health condition are to be overcome.

Hi I am type 2 and appreciate the advice

simonr101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Was your 2.8 reading from the Libre?
Does it often read low (do you calibrate with finger prick tests?).
Sounds like you should consider asking to come off medication if 2 SR met are taking you that low?
I checked with the blood and that was only 3.0 I need to drive home so I double checked. I was nearly taken off metformin completely and was aiming to by next Easter. But with the mental health issues I am having I decided to just keep managing the diabetes and continue to recover from the depression and anxiety.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @simonr101
Are you sure you're type 2? According to the internet and medical experts - metformin doesn't cause hypos. So I'm wondering if you have something else going on?

simonr101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello @simonr101
Are you sure you're type 2? According to the internet and medical experts - metformin doesn't cause hypos. So I'm wondering if you have something else going on?

When I was diagnosed I was in Dubai, my fasting blood reading was 5 times what is normal. I have had blood tests and I know one of them was to see if I am producing insulin. Which I am.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I am sorry to hear that you are struggling and as a retired science teacher I sympathize! A comment about fasting for blood tests: I was advised that this no longer standard practice because of the risk of hypos.
I too am on 500mg Metformin per day and found that in order to manage a school day I had to eat 3 protein-based, low-carb meals. That and a snack of nuts after school kept my blood glucose levels under reasonable control. Depression and anxiety are linked to unstable blood glucose levels and may be both a cause and a response. It sounds as though your management is lacking both knowledge and empathy. You could request a meeting (your timing, your control!) and take a friend/advocate who could be a school nurse, union rep, health care professional who can be essentially on your side. It is useful to have someone who can take notes, prompt, intervene and if necessary steer the discussion. It is too easy to be out-manoeuvred when stressed. Have clear objectives before the meeting. Management does not have the right to make you ill and teaching is stressful enough as it is.
Also, although metformin will not cause hypos, it will not stop you from becoming hypoglycemic if you haven't eaten enough food particularly as it blocks release of glucose from glycogen stores in the liver.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed I was in Dubai, my fasting blood reading was 5 times what is normal. I have had blood tests and I know one of them was to see if I am producing insulin. Which I am.
How long ago was that? I'm asking because I know some people don't tolerate the lower end of numbers very well but some do aim for 3-4mmol and they feel fine.
However I sympathize with your situation, I too, was compared with other type 1 students when I wasn't doing well for my Alevels. I said we're all different, different insulins, different routines, different lifestyles, how can you compare me to someone else? So you're not overreacting, I'd be angry tbh. Do you know if there is something else going on other than diabetes and mental health?

simonr101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How long ago was that? I'm asking because I know some people don't tolerate the lower end of numbers very well but some do aim for 3-4mmol and they feel fine.
However I sympathize with your situation, I too, was compared with other type 1 students when I wasn't doing well for my Alevels. I said we're all different, different insulins, different routines, different lifestyles, how can you compare me to someone else? So you're not overreacting, I'd be angry tbh. Do you know if there is something else going on other than diabetes and mental health?
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago. my last A1c was low, but can't remember the numbers
I'm not aware of any other health issues. I think I am supposed to have an over 50's health check but I have no idea how I go about sorting that out.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Along with others, I am wondering about the hypos.
This isn't usual for people with T2 on Metformin.
I do note that @Dr Snoddy seems to have had similar symptoms.

It might be worth looking up Reactive Hypoglycemia just to check that you don't fit that profile.

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Union assistance.
Do you belong to a Union?
They are usually very supportive of members.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

simonr101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Along with others, I am wondering about the hypos.
This isn't usual for people with T2 on Metformin.
I do note that @Dr Snoddy seems to have had similar symptoms.

It might be worth looking up Reactive Hypoglycemia just to check that you don't fit that profile.

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Union assistance.
Do you belong to a Union?
They are usually very supportive of members.

My sugars go up after meals and usually recover after about 2 or 3 hours. I am in a union and have been putting off speaking to anyone as I don't want something that turns out to be nothing escalating.

M

Member496333

A type 2 using Metformin should not typically be experiencing hypoglycaemic episodes. I think possibly you my need referring to an endocrinologist. At the very least your doctor should consider cessation of Metformin, but I can’t see this making much difference.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My sugars go up after meals and usually recover after about 2 or 3 hours. I am in a union and have been putting off speaking to anyone as I don't want something that turns out to be nothing escalating.

I think you would do well to go to them and ask for advice.
They should be able to help you asses if the staff are behaving correctly and being as supportive as they should.
This doesn't have to involve you with any meetings or confrontation.
Just get an employment expert to chat to you about what the best way forward might be.

Reactions: simonr101

simonr101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A type 2 using Metformin should not typically be experiencing hypoglycaemic episodes. I think possibly you my need referring to an endocrinologist. At the very least your doctor should consider cessation of Metformin, but I can’t see this making much difference.

I have only been back in the UK for a year after 13 years working abroad. So silly question, do I just ask my doctor for a referral? at the moment my diabetes is being handled by my GP's practice.

Reactions: Buddyshaz
M

Member496333

I have only been back in the UK for a year after 13 years working abroad. So silly question, do I just ask my doctor for a referral? at the moment my diabetes is being handled by my GP's practice.

If it were me, I would speak with the GP and explain that you are having hypos. If he/she blows you off and suggests eating more carbs as a remedy, I would insist on a referral. And I would not take no for an answer. But that is just me and I am not advising you what to do.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed