Driving licence and T2

Dontwanttoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
I've recently been put on insulin so had to inform the DVLA which I did. Today I've had a letter saying they want to exchange my license for a medical one that I have to renew every 3 years. I'm assuming that there are others out there who have this type of license. I'm just wondering how easy it is to renew nd what you have to do. Thank you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

As a T1 using insulin. I've had to do this since passing my test. Pretty easy quick & painless. DVLA will send a reminder & renewal DiAB1 form, approaching the end of the 3 year period for a renewal evaluation. (3 years is the longest they give.)
Lol, I've had my fresh licence drop through the door before the letter suggesting the application was being processed.

Hope this helps..?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I've recently been put on insulin so had to inform the DVLA which I did. Today I've had a letter saying they want to exchange my license for a medical one that I have to renew every 3 years. I'm assuming that there are others out there who have this type of license. I'm just wondering how easy it is to renew nd what you have to do. Thank you.
Hi @Dontwanttooffs My advice to you is to keep all paperwork from appointments with the GP, Hospital an Eye Screening Service so that you have proof ready for filling in the forms. Also photocopy everything you send to DVLA as I have been in the past been asked to send stuff that had already gone. Good luck with it all.

Heatherp85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I didn’t know that I had to do this, neither my nurse nor GP informed me when I switched to insulin nearly a year ago! Can I get the forms from the post office or do I have to do it online? Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I didn’t know that I had to do this, neither my nurse nor GP informed me when I switched to insulin nearly a year ago! Can I get the forms from the post office or do I have to do it online? Thanks

Just phone DVLA and tell them you've been put on insulin (I'd leave out 'the I've been driving for a year' bit in the first conversation). DVLA will send the forms to you.

You can do subsequent renewals on-line. It's fairly painless, last time it was only a week between completing the on-line application and the new licence arriving.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Please also inform your insurance company. We had an accident outside my house and when the driver mentioned a hypo/ the insurer on the other end was saying that it was not on her records.