Managing work, hypos and autism

mitty6678

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everybody how are you? Was wondering if anyone else here was diagnosed with type 1 at a young age and how they are now coping with work and the hypos they might have if they worked in retail. Any advice for a four hour shift no break?

P.s. does anyone else have issues with there illness and perhaps autism?
Was wondering if there are any discussions for this or how we could set one up? ( I have a few ideas etc for things like needle phobias that might come with this or anything else)
Thanks in advance xx
IMG_20190917_140635_787.jpeg
IMG_20190921_220502_157.jpeg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If it’s any help, I’m on the spectrum, although I was diagnosed with t1 as an adult. I always, always carry dextrose tablets on me when I’m working, so I can chuck one or two down my neck if I’m going low. Under the Equality Act 2010 your employer is legally obligated to let you do what you need to do to manage your diabetes.

Abigail18

If it helps I was diagnosed at 8 years old and now 27 and I worked in retail for roughly 10 years. Work have to allow you address your medical needs i always used to carry sweets in my pocket and also had some in staff rooms and when needed just told them I need to sort my diabetes out and they were ok with it. As long as you told them about it at the start (in application and interview) they cannot prevent you from sorting it out. When I used to do 4 hour shifts I always ate before and based it on slow release carbs.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hypos are a genuine medical emergency and at any rate can interfere with your ability to be professional with customers. Legally the employer must make reasonable adjustments for your medical needs but in practice many employers won't, especially if you don't make it clear you know your rights. Be aware that if you raise it they may find a reason to sack you.

That said if you are having hypos during work several times a week you are not doing the right thing by your employer. (This is highly relative, since people with brittle diabetes really can't help it. They ought to have free CGMs.)

As someone who plays with LCHF diet and fasting, I find that having a low-carb meal or no meal at all in the 5ish hours prior makes things the easiest. If you're on MDI you may need to eat something to offset your basal (without bolusing—the whole point is to have no boluses in your system.)

This needs preparation and practice and experience but once you learn how your body responds it tends to be more predictable. NOTE do not make major changes to your diet without the help of a medical professional.

Reactions: Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hypos are a genuine medical emergency and at any rate can interfere with your ability to be professional with customers. Legally the employer must make reasonable adjustments for your medical needs but in practice many employers won't, especially if you don't make it clear you know your rights. Be aware that if you raise it they may find a reason to sack you.
Also, join a union! They’ll help if there are any issues.

spasternak

I was diagnosed at 13. I worked at Sears through college selling paint, hardware, office equipment, etc. At the time I was on Regular and Ultralente insulin. It was never a problem. Just kept some candy in the pocket in case of lows. If I forgot, you could always pop up to the breakroom for some carbohydrates - it only takes a few minutes, and that was rare.

Reactions: Marie 2