Insulin resistance even with normal a1c anyone else like me?

jimmyt2dm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I have been a type 2 diabetic for 12 years and have finally lowered my A1c to below normal range. I notice though that my fasting insulin is a bit on the high side and my fasting glucose goes up and down. It ranges from norrmal to abnormal. Anyone else out in cyberspace like me?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I have been a type 2 diabetic for 12 years and have finally lowered my A1c to below normal range. I notice though that my fasting insulin is a bit on the high side and my fasting glucose goes up and down. It ranges from norrmal to abnormal. Anyone else out in cyberspace like me?

Hi Jimmy - Have you had your fasting insulin tested to conclude it's higher than ideal?

There are some interesting and informative tests out there, for sure.

jimmyt2dm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello my friend,

I was just about to log off.

Yes I had my fasting glucose and fasting insulin added to my blood panel that is how I know it is a bit high. Which also means that my insulin resistance is a bit high. I fast everyday for 16 to 18 hours and eat 2 low carb meals. I have quit sugar and processed foods. I get about 7.5 hours of sleep daily so I know I am OK there.

Not on meds, but I did not get my C reactive protein checked....on the next test.

I want to lower my insulin resistance to 1.0.

Hmm.... Maybe add 1 or 2 days of fasting?

What do you think?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that you, like me, have an underlying cause for raised insulin resistance. In my case that is a prolactinoma, PCOS and obesity (all connected, and all very unlikely to ever resolve themselves).

Your reasons may well be different from mine. There are many reasons out there, from thyroid problems, to genetics, to environmental factors.

I can certainly beat my insulin resistance downwards with extended fasting and exercise (it hovers in the 'normal' HOMO-R range but is significantly higher than 1.0), but no matter what I do it bobs back up like a cork in a bottle as soon as those activities end, or I eat even 5-10g of carbs. So I take the view that while I do my best, and I keep to a sustained very low carb way of eating, and I do some dog walking/pilates type exercise every day, I am not going to flog myself with sustained fasting or sustained exercise. I just accept that it is what it is, and life (and hyperinsulinaemia) is still significantly better than it used to be before I introduced the changes I have.

jimmyt2dm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that you, like me, have an underlying cause for raised insulin resistance. In my case that is a prolactinoma, PCOS and obesity (all connected, and all very unlikely to ever resolve themselves).

Your reasons may well be different from mine. There are many reasons out there, from thyroid problems, to genetics, to environmental factors.

I can certainly beat my insulin resistance downwards with extended fasting and exercise (it hovers in the 'normal' HOMO-R range but is significantly higher than 1.0), but no matter what I do it bobs back up like a cork in a bottle as soon as those activities end, or I eat even 5-10g of carbs. So I take the view that while I do my best, and I keep to a sustained very low carb way of eating, and I do some dog walking/pilates type exercise every day, I am not going to flog myself with sustained fasting or sustained exercise. I just accept that it is what it is, and life (and hyperinsulinaemia) is still significantly better than it used to be before I introduced the changes I have.
Hello Brunneria, Insulin resistance is hard to control, not sure if I would do sustained fasting and exercise, but yes I do understand your point.

Other factors may be an issue. So on my next test I am going to tell my doctor to add the C reactive protein test.

Hopefully, this adds some insight to insulin resistance.