Have any other low carbers quit dairy and noticed a big difference?

Gmt2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
None
From a personal point of view, my high fat is almost all dairy because I don't like fatty meat, although I do eat a lot of salmon and eggs. I eat tons of butter, plus cream, cheese, yogurt and so on. I am 71 and also spring out of bed in a morning without aches and pains. At the beginning of my journey in 2014 I lost a shed load of weight (33%) and I have maintained my target weight for almost 5 years, still eating plenty of dairy.
How did you give up carbs? I need to lose wright and a year into diabetes have gained.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit- that is wonderful to hear. I am doing LCHF and most of my fat is dairy - I also don't like fatty meat but do like salmon. I certainly hoping I can still have cream and cheese and still lose weight. I would like to lose about 33% of my initial weight so I'm glad for your post!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How did you give up carbs? I need to lose wright and a year into diabetes have gained.

It is the same as giving up anything. You just have to give them up if you want to control your blood sugars and lose weight. You don't have to give them all up - you can set your own target for how many grams of carbs your body can handle, and stick to it. Portion control plays a big part, too. One small potato is better than half a dozen big ones. (especially with a big dollop of butter)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit- that is wonderful to hear. I am doing LCHF and most of my fat is dairy - I also don't like fatty meat but do like salmon. I certainly hoping I can still have cream and cheese and still lose weight. I would like to lose about 33% of my initial weight so I'm glad for your post!

Good luck with it.
It took me from the January to the November, averaging about 2lbs a week or a bit less.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi JenniferW,
I don't see why you say that Low Carb is making you have less dairy. Even if you were Vegan I still can't see how you would eat less dairy on Low Carb since vegan's eat no dairy and vegetarians eat as much dairy as the like.

As a Low Carb vegetarian, apart from milk (for those on very low carb), which Dairy do you give up on Low Carb? You can still have cream, full fat Yoghurt, vegetarian cheese, eggs etc.

I've been aiming to keep under the daily limit of 130 for carbs (and I've been averaging around 100). For me, milk and yogurt have been adding what feels like a lot in the totals. More than I'd assumed before careful recording of what I've been having.

Because my HbA1c had gone up to 52, I've just been really carefully recording my carbs and the re-test has just come back at 41, so it's worked, and makes me think I need to persevere long-term with this.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also just realised they are promoting Metformin in this video too. Seems to be lots of subtle promotions of Metformin around these days. They want non-diabetic people to take it too, like a new elixir of renewed health...
Sounds a bit like when that other wonder drug - the infamous statin was introduced.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just listening to this podcast and wonder how many others have had a similar experience when moving from low carb high fat diets that include dairy products to low carb high fat diets that eliminate all dairy.

It seems to work well for this man (weightloss and reducing inflammation). Did it work for you?

I am yet to try a week without dairy to see what happens. I do notice that if I eat a lot of cheese, my morning fasting levels are higher.

https://lihfliving.com/why-lchf-works/
I never lose weight if I eat nuts, cheese or cream.
I still have more than 4st to lose if I want the right BMI.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have this feeling about dairy and nuts too. It's hard to stop at a reasonable amount and I really feel like they both make me put on weight again. I thought I would try a dairy free day when I woke up this morning. I ate 3 eggs, 1/2 an avocado and some pine nuts and then craved milk like a drug (I drink goat's milk more than cow's milk now). I ended up giving in to my craving and just drank milk after my meals again as usual. Managed not to eat so much cheese though but ended up having the most meat I've had in a while - liver, lamb and pork with baked mushrooms stuffed with ricotta, red capsicum and sauerkraut . And then more milk! ha ha

I also just realised they are promoting Metformin in this video too. Seems to be lots of subtle promotions of Metformin around these days. They want non-diabetic people to take it too, like a new elixir of renewed health...
Metformin is an appetite suppressant and a one which looks after the heart and liver. Oh and brain and my fertility and my IR.
I was one of very few who took part in the London trials for PCOS. It was hugely successful for me. I was 'barren' and then had 2 successful pregnancies. After costly private fertility treatment and failed IVF.
I'm sorry but metformin is brilliant for my body. I'm determined to not let IBS spoil its benefits.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Cocosilk,
I still think that neither of the participants in that podcast were promoting Metformin for non-diabetics, they are both 'plugging' diet to control all metabolic syndrome disease. Ivor just happened to mention the newer research on Metformin in rodents - which may be invalidated. I actually like that he is open minded enough to consider all decent evidence, not just that for non-pharmaceutical solutions to Metabolic Diseases.

This guy in the lifespanbook thing is talking about disease prevention and so far as I'm aware, Metformin doesn't prevent any disease - if it did then surely it would be more popular than Statins!
But he doesn't even stop there, he then takes a wild speculation that age 'causes' Type 2 D , Dementia and other diseases. Which is just not true! Age means that patient has had longer to accumulated the bad stuff that causes the disease - otherwise everybody who dies of 'old age' would have T2D, Dementia, Cancer, CVD and other diseases for at least a few weeks before they die!
He then goes seriously off grid in suggesting that Metformin may lengthen life in an otherwise healthy individual - which is a huge leap from any actual evidence.
What do you think is on the death certificates for 'old age' death cause?

M

Member496333

How did you give up carbs?

Speaking only for myself if I may, I just stopped eating them and replaced the lost energy with extra fat. I found carbohydrate moderation depressing, painful and largely ineffective, whereas total abstinence was easy-peasy lemon-squeezy and kicked my diabetes into the kerb in a matter of months. When I saw the results, and had already felt the alternatives (serious complications) staying off carbohydrate was effortless and endlessly rewarding.

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking only for myself if I may, I just stopped eating them and replaced the lost energy with extra fat. I found carbohydrate moderation depressing, painful and largely ineffective, whereas total abstinence was easy-peasy lemon-squeezy and kicked my diabetes into the kerb in a matter of months. When I saw the results, and had already felt the alternatives (serious complications) staying of carbohydrate was effortless and endlessly rewarding.
This was almost exactly the same for me too.

Reactions: Member496333

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin is an appetite suppressant and a one which looks after the heart and liver. Oh and brain and my fertility and my IR.
I was one of very few who took part in the London trials for PCOS. It was hugely successful for me. I was 'barren' and then had 2 successful pregnancies. After costly private fertility treatment and failed IVF.
I'm sorry but metformin is brilliant for my body. I'm determined to not let IBS spoil its benefits.
Don't be sorry! I'm happy hear how much it helped you. Maybe it is a wonder drug many others could benefit from.

M

Member496333

I have just recently quit dairy again in a second attempt to give up coffee. To all intents and purposes that also means I’m now zero-carbing. I shall report any findings in due course :pompous:

Reactions: Cocosilk
M

Member496333

Minor bump on this. Nearly three weeks off the dairy now. I wasn't actually expecting to say this, but I feel even better. I haven't lost any weight but my stomach is now flatter. Absolutely zero gas or bloating. Also my joints feel like they've been oiled. I feel half my age in that regard.

Actually, when I say "off the dairy" that isn't technically accurate. I am still consuming a small quantity of hard cheese with some meals. However, I have read that hard cheese differs from regular dairy in that all the sugar has been eaten by the microbes, and the proteins have been 'folded' so are no longer inflammatory.

So in summary, although I already felt great and wasn't aware of any problems I had with dairy, just quitting double cream has had a beneficial effect. Very surprising to me.

Reactions: Larissima

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have just recently quit dairy again in a second attempt to give up coffee. To all intents and purposes that also means I’m now zero-carbing. I shall report any findings in due course :pompous:
WOW! @Jim Lahey Don't mean to derail the thread but what do you eat?

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Minor bump on this. Nearly three weeks off the dairy now. I wasn't actually expecting to say this, but I feel even better. I haven't lost any weight but my stomach is now flatter. Absolutely zero gas or bloating. Also my joints feel like they've been oiled. I feel half my age in that regard.

Actually, when I say "off the dairy" that isn't technically accurate. I am still consuming a small quantity of hard cheese with some meals. However, I have read that hard cheese differs from regular dairy in that all the sugar has been eaten by the microbes, and the proteins have been 'folded' so are no longer inflammatory.

So in summary, although I already felt great and wasn't aware of any problems I had with dairy, just quitting double cream has had a beneficial effect. Very surprising to me.
for me jim i find that double cream is a no no.. so starts the day with tea , a dash of soya milk and a teaspoon of coconut oil in it ..

Reactions: Member496333

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Meat, organs, poultry, eggs, seafood. I drink bottled water or animal soup. Absolutely love the simplicity and have never felt better.

Grain-free for life :D
No veg, fruit or wine?