Bug Burgers

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I will stick to beef, thanks all the same.

Has anyone calculated how much methane a swarm of locusts produces?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m with @xfieldok , I’m sticking with the beef variety!

D

Deleted member 308541

Has anyone calculated how much methane a swarm of locusts produces?
They claim 80 times less than cattle...
Has any one with a without a axe to grind calculated how much damage crickets / locusts do to the environment.

I will keep eating beef, sheep, pork etc. to the day I kark it, then there will still be a barbeque with plenty of meat on at the wake...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wash the salad thoroughly, then place the bugs back on it for a "naked" version..

But seriously, I'll try anything once...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has any one with a without a axe to grind calculated how much damage crickets / locusts do to the environment.

I will keep eating beef, sheep, pork etc. to the day I kark it, then there will still be a barbeque with plenty of meat on at the wake...
Dunno mate. It seemed like an interesting programme.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wondered if anyone had seen it. I watched it on iplayer. I know there are a few members that are a bit twitchy on this meat ban related topic.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wondered if anyone had seen it. I watched it on iplayer. I know there are a few members that are a bit twitchy on this meat ban related topic.

I plan on watching it the first chance I get. (Work commitment right now.) thanks for the link.

However, isn't this a topic (on the forum.) regarding the nutritional benefits of insects? (Possibly in addition to other meat sourced food stuffs.)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am imagining lots of artificial flavours, grain fillers plus sugars (as well as the ubiquitous white bap) being added to make these palatable. Wonder who might be investing in that tech?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd be up for insect "meat" on the menu, but like NicoleC I suspect we'd get Big Food's version, highly processed and full of additives.

M

Member496333

Doesn't bother me in principle, but my concerns are the same as those as others who have already commented - any commercial product of this nature is going to be absolutely chock-full with a shopping list of dubious ingredients, chemicals and seed oils.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Judging from supermarket reviews regarding little insects. etc, that arrive for free with their fruit and veggies I do wonder how many would be willing to actually pay for the privilege of eating them...:eek:

Robbity

Reactions: Brunneria

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I plan on watching it the first chance I get. (Work commitment right now.) thanks for the link.

However, isn't this a topic (on the forum.) regarding the nutritional benefits of insects? (Possibly in addition to other meat sourced food stuffs.)
The topic of the programme is climate change related, with a focus on meat substitutes.

“Insects are increasingly being promoted as an alternative protein source which produces lower greenhouse gas emissions than meat.

But could consumers really stomach burgers made from bugs?

One family blind taste-tested four burgers - a traditional veggie burger, a soya burger, a hi-tech meat substitute and a burger made from mealworms. What was their verdict?”

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I would be willing to give crickets a good batting innings, but............ I draw the line at worms :wideyed:
If the insects were coated in some spices, that type of thing, or just deep fried, or better still, do it at home :) then I would definitely give them a try.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be willing to give crickets a good batting innings, but............ I draw the line at worms :wideyed:
If the insects were coated in some spices, that type of thing, or just deep fried, or better still, do it at home :) then I would definitely give them a try.
Isn't the idea to use the protein rather than the actual insects and worms? Mycoprotein doesn't look like fungus.